High hedge regulations

jonahinoz

Re: High hedge regulations

Post by jonahinoz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:12 pm

I find it very hard to believe that a site visit, a couple of letters and a bit of form filling costs them almost £500.

Hi,

Very much "tongue in cheek" ...

To calculate the cost of carrying out a high hedge inspection, take the salary of a High Hedge Inspector, and divide by the number of high hedges inspected.

I hope I am joking.

John W

TO

Post by TO » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 pm

thin and crispy wrote:a) What assumptions? My statement was based on the fact that if I charged my own clients so much for doing so little work, I'd be out of business.
What knowledge have you of how much work is involved, have you undertaken any High Hedge complaints, have you ever asked how much work is involved. If you have no idea how much work is involved you are just making assumptions. For a start you have ignored your initial enquiry and the time spent by customer services, then there's the hedge owner to deal with as well as the complainant, and finally the inevitable appeal. Your lack of understanding is evident by the fact you don't know who undertakes the appeals, and think the council fill out forms as part of a high hedge complaint, what forms.
thin and crispy wrote:b) I didn't ask, but thanks for your opinion. I don't doubt that councils state that their costs are high (they have to in order to justify their income), but it's absurd to say that the amount of work involved in (as I said) a site visit, a couple of letters and a bit of form filling actually costs them that much.
I didn't give you my opinion. I gave you the benefit of my research and experience. Councils stated their fees for dealing with high hedge complaints, not fake elevated costs to try and and 'justify their income'. Most Councils are only doing two or three a year. How much profit do you think councils are making after undertaking the work which costs by and large more than the fee, whilst not forgetting they're only doing a few a year.
thin and crispy wrote:c) As a private individual or as an employee of your council?
As an employee whose role included undertaking high hedge complaints.
thin and crispy wrote:d) I'm not sure why you paraphrased this quote from my "signature", unless your choice to do so was meant to be inflammatory. Are you accusing me of prejudice because my opinion differs from yours? Do you hope that the quote and the implicit accusation of prejudice means you don't need to present a convincing argument in favour of your opinion? Effectively, all you have said so far is that most councils say their costs are, or have to be, that high. You obviously choose to believe them. I don't (point (a)).
Because I quite like it. I never said you were prejudiced. You have an opinion based on assumption, you don't even know who undertakes the appeals, let alone how much work is involved. On the other hand I have undertaken high hedge complaints, kept records of costs, and undertaken research into high hedge complaints. In short my comments are informed by my experience and research. Your opinion is just that, an opinion, which appears to have no basis at all.
Last edited by TO on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TO

Post by TO » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 pm

jonahinoz wrote:To calculate the cost of carrying out a high hedge inspection, take the salary of a High Hedge Inspector, and divide by the number of high hedges inspected.
If we say a High Hedge Inspector earns £24,000 a year and deals with three complaints a year, that's £8,000 per complaint. If the fee is £500 that's a loss to the council of £7,500 per complaint. Or a per annum loss of £22,500.

To break even at £500 per complaint would mean doing 48 complaints a year. I'm not aware of any council doing anywhere near that many.

But of course no one ever got a job as a High Hedge Inspector. High hedge complaints were picked up by an existing employee who had better things to be doing than sorting out neighbour disputes.