High Hedges Legislation

Frede

Re: High Hedges Legislation

Post by Frede » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi jdfi

Thank you for responding. I did contact my MP (I think twice ?) and he sent the letter to the Communities Minister at the time. The reply was in the vein of it was not envisaged at the current time for a review to take place re High Hedges Legislation. I have recently sent e. mails to the Communities Minister which have been sent to the Policies Department with much the same answer. There was nothing comprehensive in the reply as to say why they are not doing the review.

DEFRA? DCMS ? Not sure about these?

I guess it needs many more people who are affected to write.

Frede

Post by Frede » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi

Has no one any suggestions? I am surrounded in an L shape by my neighbours hedging, once where previously there were views on the N.W. side of our property. Some view still left but some control of the situation has to be done. If things are left to drift on I shall see sky only - why ? Certainly on the once open view area there is not just hedging but conifers (a lot of which have been planted within our time here) with the promise of blocking light to windows to a very large degree let alone views. I know you cannot pre-empt but at the end of the day if one plants in accordance with the guidelines which state what cannot be taken into account - then what? Conifers can be planted in a group - groups may or may not be taken into account. Leaving a space between planting, or plant in stages - whatever, there is no end to the ingenious ways the Act can be frustrated - or one could say that is what the Act is allowing. It is the act of planting too near a neighbours windows/garden whatever the species, whether evergreen or not. To leave the Act without taking into account the findings of all who use and process it and not allowing a proper review is wrong. The Government should take responsibility and carry through the legislation as promised in 2010.

Frede

Post by Frede » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi,

Can I just ask, is it legal for someone to plant a hedge directly behind a neighbours hedge (actually a dividing hedge) which then is grown higher than the dividing hedge; is only 3 meters away from windows of neighbour, and consequently reduces light to neighbour's habitable room windows?

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:20 am

The hedge does not have to be on the boundary to be actionable under the high hedges legislation. It would be profoundly unwise for anyone to duplicate boundary features though.

Frede

Post by Frede » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi Collaborate

Thank you for your reply.

Forgive me but may I check my understanding of "It would be profoundly unwise, etc. If a neighbour has planted a hedge behind a neighbours then would one say they have duplicated a boundary feature? The original dividing hedge was where we trimmed our side and the top and the neighbour trimmed their side. We have been at our property for 27 years and have always done the aforementioned. The neighbour has been here for a lesser time. Could you please expand on why would it be profoundly unwise to duplicate a boundary feature? I am thinking go going through high hedges legislation but I am unsure if it is a legal matter?

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:45 pm

If you duplicate boundary features it becomes very difficult to identify where the actual boundary lies. In your case, where you think the existing hedge is planted on the boundary, it is quite possible if not likely that a second hedge adjacent to the existing one will sow the seeds of doubt in years to come.

Frede

Post by Frede » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:25 pm

Thank you Collaborate for your reply. I do actually keep my hedge at a lower height not even quite 2 metres than the neighbours hedge behind mine. I will be damned if I will block my own windows. I have someone come in to trim the hedges, that one included and he always trims the side of the neighbours hedge away from mine. I do appreciate your point -makes me think!

Frede

Post by Frede » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello again Collaborate

Even though I do keep my hedge lower than the neighbour who put a hedge directly behind mine and is affecting my light to windows - is it legal to put a hedge directly behind someone else's At the end of a day it is not a fence, i.e., not a static barrier, the hedging obviously is constantly growing and I am constantly trying to get him to trim, facing unpleasantness, etc., but surely he should not have put it there in the first place?

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:51 pm

You can put a second hedge up if you want, though in the context of your predicament I think you may have lost the plot. Your complaint is about a neighbour who has allowed a boundary hedge to grow too high. Planting your own hedge will not only make which hedge marks the boundary something for future neighbours to argue over, but you are not doing anything other than bringing the hedge closer to your garden, which would suggest you're not that bothered by the neighbour's hedge in the first place.

TO

Post by TO » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi Frede

Your neighbour is perfectly entitled to plant his hedge. Essentially your only recourse if you are not happy is a high hedge complaint.

Frede

Post by Frede » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi Collaborate and To

Thank you both very much indeed for replying to my problem. Collaborate - it is my neighbour who planted a hedge behind my hedge and I am rather bothered as he is blocking light to 4 habitable room windows

To - Yes, I guess High Hedges Legislation is the only way to go but worried about the outcome

I appreciate you both replying very much. :)

Frede

Post by Frede » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Is there an alternative rather than high hedges and right to light for dealing with a neighbour who has, within 3 metres :

A. planted an evergreen hedge behind the dividing hedge separating the two properties and is

1) higher than the original dividing hedge and affecting light to windows of the victim (4 windows).

B. Planted both evergreen hedging ad conifers within 3 metres and affecting light to windows and views of the victim (3 windows)

To the point where all that can be seen that is sky. However, planted in a way to avoid the High Hedges Act?

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am

Frede wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm
Is there an alternative rather than high hedges and right to light
No.

Frede

Post by Frede » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:15 am

Hello Collaborate

Thank you for your reply; disappointing though it was. I was thinking maybe going through the law of nuisance? It is not what I want but I am at the end of the line.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Frede wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm
Is there an alternative rather than high hedges and right to light ..........
Frede wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:15 am
It is not what I want but I am at the end of the line.

There are always alternatives too the High hedge Legislation - what has been your neighbours response to any approach from you?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people