Encroaching ivy on neighbour

despair

Re: Encroaching ivy on neighbour

Post by despair »

The only real way to eradicate Ivy is to completly dig it out ....sadly if your neighbour adores ivy you have zero chance ...thus the only avenue open when ut appears through your fence having reeked havoc on the other side is to remive the fence or spray with glyphosate ....i hate both with a passion
Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet »

arborlad wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 pm
Morgan Sweet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:40 am............take my advice................

:lol: :roll:
Typical arborlad, takes a phrase without any of the context in which it was used, then adds childish funny faces.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

despair wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 pm If it coming through the fence spray it with glyphosate that will kill it down to the roots
the ivy isn’t 7ZUSTY’s to kill down to the roots - are you sure that’s sound advice?!?
despair

Post by despair »

If the fence belongs to the OP then the ivy is illegally growing up the OPs fence so the OP has every right to require the ivys removal and if a request to the ivy grower to remove it is ignored then the OP s only options are to remove the fence and detach the ivy ... that would make the point pretty clearly ......or spray the bits which come through ...if eventually that kills the ivy its tough ...The Op has tried to get co operstion
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

arborlad wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:12 am
arborlad wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:15 am
despair wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 pm If it coming through the fence spray it with glyphosate that will kill it down to the roots

You should never, ever, give advice on herbicides - you are always, and without exception - wrong!!

................and this is why!

despair wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:19 pm ......or spray the bits which come through ...if eventually that kills the ivy its tough ..
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Collaborate wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:11 am
arborlad wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:12 am
arborlad wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:15 am

You should never, ever, give advice on herbicides - you are always, and without exception - wrong!!
A quick google search tells me that glyphosate use is not banned in the UK. So what's your advice clever clogs?

You appear to want to defend the indefensible - you did the same with nothingtodowithme...............

despair wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:05 am..............any ivy which appears your side either pull it off or spray with glyphosate

What's your advice now Smartypants..................now that the owner of the Ivy is known to be a retired judge with time on his hands and an alleged vindictive streak?

Ivy is resistant to glyphosate, I know it is. The example I gave earlier was a 7 mile long, heavily used accessway and yet I was advised by someone with a proven track record of misusing herbicides to roughen the leaves with a pair of stiff leather gloves!! We don't even want to eradicate the Ivy, it is attractive and good habitat.
arborlad

Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet »

There is a danger of your confusion once again arborlad. The OP posted this paragraph:

I bought a house this year which has a boundary fence half collapsing due to overgrown ivy from my side (although I do wonder if the ivy is a weed and is only growing on my side as it's the shady side). The ivy has been left to grow for years and has been climbing up the neighbour's house. The neighbour has now come to me saying it needs to be sorted and it's all my responsibility. She says she has gone through this with previous owners and nothing was done.

The ivy is growing on the OP property and if the OP decides to eradicate it then this can quite legally be accomplished by several applications of glyphosate.

My advice to roughen up the leaves is sound advice, however this would not be practical on a 7 mile length of ivy, but you know that.
despair

Post by despair »

Ivy is a total pest when its allowed to invade other people property ...as for a good habitat ! ...for what ?
alyson
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by alyson »

despair wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:49 am Ivy is a total pest when its allowed to invade other people property ...as for a good habitat ! ...for what ?
Lots of wildlife apparently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/201410 ... i-love-ivy
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

arborlad wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:32 am
What's your advice now Smartypants..................now that the owner of the Ivy is known to be a retired judge with time on his hands and an alleged vindictive streak?
I've never come on to this thread to offer any horticultural advice to OP, or to denigrate other posters attempts to do so. I know what I know, and what I don't know.

However I would never want to slag off another poster's efforts without explaining why they were wrong and offering an alternative.
cleo5

Post by cleo5 »

Whatever the benefits or other of ivy, the OP has asked for advice on what to do as the neighbour has complained.

Surely the answer is for the Op to eradicate the ivy as much as possible from her side....no easy task as the tentacles are strong .
Cut through where you can and use glyphospate for the lower bits and roots.
This is the advice given by many experts.
If op cannot physically do it then employ someone to do it.
Ivy might be ok for some but where it becomes a nuisance , just like bracken, it needs taming.
It is probably holding up an old fence that is past its best.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

arborlad

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

Morgan Sweet wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:12 pm Yes glyphosate is a wonderful weed problem solver, but not as good as sodium chlorate. Shame SC is no longer available to the general public as it was one of the best weed killers and gave years of protection from any plant growth in the area it was applied. A similar more permanent solution is for the OP to dose the ivy regularly with glyphosate and when it dies back (which it will) pour old sump oil over the area and that will stop anything growing back for quite some time. This is good sound and qualified advice.
I strongly suspect oil is classed as hazardous waste, and if so, pouring it on the ground will constitute an offence.
Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet »

Collaborate wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:28 pm
Morgan Sweet wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:12 pm Yes glyphosate is a wonderful weed problem solver, but not as good as sodium chlorate. Shame SC is no longer available to the general public as it was one of the best weed killers and gave years of protection from any plant growth in the area it was applied. A similar more permanent solution is for the OP to dose the ivy regularly with glyphosate and when it dies back (which it will) pour old sump oil over the area and that will stop anything growing back for quite some time. This is good sound and qualified advice.
I strongly suspect oil is classed as hazardous waste, and if so, pouring it on the ground will constitute an offence.
Yes, I think that you are correct regarding sump oil; creosote would be just as effective to get rid of the ivy.
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

arborlad