Removed hedge, right to privacy?

despair

Re: Removed hedge, right to privacy?

Post by despair »

What difference does wood or concrete posts and wire fence have on the situation .wire fences tended to be in 3 metre spans on concrete posts .if the fence has been theres 40 plus years

Idefixuk .....whats your solution ...how would you raise the cash ?

Try putting yourself in the shoes of the OP
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

IdefixUK wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:20 pm
despair wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 pm The neighbours may well have a right to build , they may well have a right to remove the hedge but none of that helps the OP resolve the sudden loss of basic privacy when theres been no discussion or thought and money is tight
Despair. Do you have any realistic suggestions as to how the OP can raise some cash to pay for a fence? ....That is on the assumption that the OP doesn't intend to take up your previous suggestion that they use old pallets, rolls of fabric, and old "give-away" fence panels coated in an assortment of different coloured paints, and to do so in such a fashion that it would cause maximum annoyance to the neighbour.

Regards

Pallets'R'Us, has a solution for everything..................
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
despair

Post by despair »

At least pallets are free .....you are too fond of assuming everyone has money flowing ...theres already many out of work and will be millions more and Universal Credit or JSA does not touch basic cost of living
alyson
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by alyson »

despair wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 am At least pallets are free .....you are too fond of assuming everyone has money flowing ...theres already many out of work and will be millions more and Universal Credit or JSA does not touch basic cost of living
Whilst I agree that everyone’s financial situation is different, put yourself it the other landowner’s shoes: why should they put up with a hedge they don't want, possibly don’t like, which incurs additional costs to them in maintenance and takes up space which they want/need to use because the person next door can’t afford to pay for a fence on HIS land for HIS privacy?
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

despair wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 am .....you are too fond of assuming everyone has money flowing ...

I have assumed nothing!
arborlad

cleo5

Post by cleo5 »

What can the OP do ?

It depends on how much stress is caused by the loss of privacy.
Personally I would hate it but one can never guarantee privacy unless one provides one's own.
We bought ourhousefor the views. Trees, sky and the moor. Never to be built on.
Now it is housing estates.
I planted my own trees provided free by a trust.

Free pallets are fine if you are able to utilise them and attach them to existing posts.
What if you cannot.?
Well what about a gate made from pallets to attach to the wall and hedging plants for the rest of the length.
Ask a local nursery what hedging plants they could supply cheaply . Mixed hedging is good.

Or go to a nursery auction and see what is available cheaply.
Even poor looking specimens will thrive with a bit of feeding and care.
Perhaps there is a hedging trust that will supply you will free plants?
despair

Post by despair »

How much nicer and neighbourly all this would have been if onky some discussion had taken place

Of course the neighbour had a right to remive their hedge but it would have been basic courtesy to duscuss matters with the neighbour who would be affected
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

despair wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:42 pm How much nicer and neighbourly all this would have been if onky some discussion had taken place

Of course the neighbour had a right to remive their hedge but it would have been basic courtesy to duscuss matters with the neighbour who would be affected
you assume the OP is approachable...
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

despair wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:42 pm How much nicer and neighbourly all this would have been if onky some discussion had taken place

I don't get this mindset. Why would anyone want to discuss removing their own trees on their own land? "Discuss" suggests the seeking of approval - the granting of a right of objection. The only relevant considerations are - who did the hedge belong to? Did it suit the owner of the hedge to remove it?
Paddock

Post by Paddock »

Collaborate wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:10 pm

I don't get this mindset. Why would anyone want to discuss removing their own trees on their own land? "Discuss" suggests the seeking of approval - the granting of a right of objection. The only relevant considerations are - who did the hedge belong to? Did it suit the owner of the hedge to remove it?
I agree. Seems to me there is a view among some people that they somehow have some say about what happens on neighbouring properties. This leads to 'disputes' . Usually, the problem is putting a tree or hedge up. Complaining about taking one down is a first? One maintains their own privacy by planting or erecting fencing on your own side of the boundary, surely?

Paddock
ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky »

Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Stratman59 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:17 pm
The boundary does belong to the neighbour .............

Nobody owns the boundary, only the boundary feature that abuts it, it is constructed as though owned by the neighbour, perhaps the fence was left in the belief that it is owned by you - have you been able to verify or confirm this in any way?

What sits to the right of the skip?...............I can't see anything that would qualify as an eyesore.
arborlad

despair

Post by despair »

Usually the problems of hedges are the non hedge growing neighbour who is faced with the constant cutting back and upkeep of a hedge they do not want

It always used to be that neighbours taljed, helped each other, found a middle ground and a solution that suits both parties

But these days it tends to be ...i want i want i want

I am still very surprised that the hedge was not used as part of planning ....because IMHE planners allow permission when the development will not be seen by the neighbour
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

Hi despair,

It always used to be that...

only in stories

kind regards, Mac
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Collaborate wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:10 pm

That may be applicable to the hedge, but what of the fence?...............there is a paucity of information surrounding it - much of that knowledge can be gained by communicating with the neighbour.

Lots of options for the OP.
arborlad