THREATENING BEHAVIOUR

emmaBZ

THREATENING BEHAVIOUR

Post by emmaBZ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:36 pm

:shock: YESTERDAY HUBBY WAS CUTTING HEDGE USING ELEC TRIMMERS NOT HIGHT JUST WHAT WAS ON OUR SIDE WHEN NEXT DOOR CAME OUT AND SHOUTED TO LEAVE HEDGE ALONE THEN KEPT SPRAYING HIM WITH HOSE PIPE UNTILL HE FINISHED !! ALSO GETTING MY 2 YR OLD WET ! WE ARE HAVING A NEW DRIVE PUT IN AND HAD TO CUT HEDGE BACK A BIT BUT NOT EVEN TO OUR BOUNARY THERE ARE NO BIRDS ECT IN HEDGE SO I THOUGHT IT WAS OK TO CUT HEDGES ECT UP TO YOUR OWN BOUNDRY LINE AM I RIGHT ?

despair

Post by despair » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:33 pm

Print this and give it to your neighbour .......he can check its validity with any CAB OFFICE OR ANY SOLICITOR

You can quite legally cut back RIGHT TO THE BOUNDARY any/all branch or root of your neighbours hedges or trees that cross the boundary

and your neighbour has no right to threaten you or turn the hose on you or do any thing which prevents you exercising your legal rights

Given your neighbours actions I would have called the police

You must OFFER the arisings back to the neighbour but if they refuse to accept them you are free to dispose of them as you see fit.
Good gardeners and good neighbours ensure that all their plantings are maintained within their boundaries and in the case of hedges good neighbours will offer to trim back the other neigbours side

What you cannot do is poison the tree/hedge or cut it beyond the boundary and in the case of roots or very large branches directly cause the destabiliastion of the tree .............This is a highly unlikely occurence but you need to consider it

more info on www.hedgeline.org or the OPDMs own website

They have a booklet about hedges which you can also get at many local council offices

patdavies

Post by patdavies » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:31 pm

It is probably too late now, but the Police should have been called.

It is incredibly dangerous and stupid to deliberately spray anybody using electrical equipment - even if it is double-earthed.

If, God forbid, your husband had been electrocuted, the neighbour would be facing a murder charge.

Is there not a hosepipe ban in your area of the country?

angel2006

how rude is 1?

Post by angel2006 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:27 am

it rude to cut neighbours hedge without asking first!! so if you didnt then i would say your neighbour was right!! as i been a victim of where some just cut my hedge without even asking or checking!! so you did provoke your neighbours actions!!

zaman

Post by zaman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:06 am

It was my understanding from the original post that the height was not being touched *only what was on our side*.

It doesn't justify the appalling behaviour in any way, it was madness to spray water on someone using an electrical appliance.

despair

Post by despair » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:00 am

Angel

If the hedge was definitely overhanging then they had every right to trim it back to the boundary but no furthur without any reference to the neighbours

emmaBZ

Post by emmaBZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:12 am

ANGEL we never touched the height so did not need to ask permision as far as im aware we only trimmed and cut back not even completley to our boundry

despair

Post by despair » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:16 am

Emma

You have nothing to fear .....you correctly exercised your legal rights and your neighbour has absolutely no reason to turn the hose on you

His actions are at best stupid and at worst could have proved fatal by means of electrocuting your husband

His actions are criminal and the police should have been called

eternal_optimist

Post by eternal_optimist » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:06 pm

In all these posts, where hedges, tree branches are intruding into your own property, making your life a misery, why is that the onus is put on the sufferer to trim back? Why cant the perpetrator be made to take on his responsibility seriously made to account for his actions or lack of them?

despair

Post by despair » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:16 pm

"some people benefit from the amenity of overhanging hedges and trees "

Oh really .......i wonder who ?

syckend

Post by syckend » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:28 pm

My neighbour for one!
I advise as an experienced layman whose dispute via Courts lasted 5+yrs. Try to avoid this route©

kandy

Post by kandy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:03 pm

[quote="eternal_optimist"]In all these posts, where hedges, tree branches are intruding into your own property, making your life a misery, why is that the onus is put on the sufferer to trim back? Why cant the perpetrator be made to take on his responsibility seriously made to account for his actions or lack of them?[/quote]

How about the death sentence? :roll:

I have one 'NFH' and 2 other very normal ones thankgoodness.
The 'nice' one on one side has/had a row of 15-18' firs at the bottom of his garden. This spring he let me know (quite uneccessarily) that half of them were getting the chainsaw and apologising for any noise. I expressed my disappointment as these afforded my garden and living rooms total privacy from being overlooked. I wish they were still there, but I perfectly respect his right to do as he wishes with his own trees(!) and our relationship is unchanged. The woman whose garden backs onto his regards him as a 'NFH' (I see her point to a degree) because the firs shade her garden. She wanted them all cut down. He can't please everyone!

Personally I couldn't care less if a neighbour's plant ventures into 'my' airspace or the odd clipping goes astray. In fact the more greenery the better. I like tree shade. Of course it is a question of perspective and degree, and conflicting requirements, but some people just need to find something else to worry about I think.