Who Cuts

jos22

Who Cuts

Post by jos22 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:22 pm

I have a hedge on my side of the boundary with my neighbour. I try to keep this at no more than 2m (sometimes it may stray over).

Neighbour now getting stroppy & pushing notes through door saying he wants the hedge trimmed, he wants the hedge up etc. No knocking the door & polite requests here. Just as an aside he has trees on his other boundary, belonging to him, which have been allowed to grow to 40 feet or more.

The hedge is not blocking his light, I have no intention of letting it get above 2m and I have no intention of cutting the hedge out. A polite request may have seen me reduce the height up to 1 foot.

Do I have a legal responsibility to trim his side of the hedge? To do so would mean that I have access to his property as this could not be done from my side.

despair

Post by despair » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:51 pm

You do not legally have to cut his side of your hedge although I believe it is coutesy to do so
At 2 metres or even just over theres no way the High Hedge law comes into play see www.hedgeline.org

Your neighbour is being thoroughly unreasonable and has no legal reason for his demands

I would counter them by saying you will cut his side ONLY if he does what you want with his trees

patdavies

Post by patdavies » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:11 pm

You have no legal duty to maintain the far side of your hedge, This is because you would need to seek and obtain your neighbour's permission to enter the neighbour's property to do the maintenance - to enter without such permission would be trespass.

There is no right to light and it is entirely up to you how high you grow your hedge - I would actually commend you on keeping it to 2m.

jos22

Post by jos22 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:33 pm

Thank you both for your quick and understandable replies. :lol: