Council tenant...High hedge...

dogwalker04

Council tenant...High hedge...

Post by dogwalker04 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:35 am

Hi everyone..!

I am new to this forum and have got a problem with a hedge.

I live in a council house and the hedge is at the bottom of my garden on my side of the fence. I have had numerous people in to give me a quote for cutting the hedge down to a more reasonable height and have had quotes ranging from £470 to £60..(the last quote was just to take about 2 feet off the top, so not any good when the hedge is about 20 to 25 feet high...lol! )

I am wondering if the Council will do it...I cannot afford to pay the high amounts and I cannot do it myself. And no one I know would be able to do it. If it is council property would they cut the hedges ?

When I first moved in 3 years ago the hedges where high then...and now they are enormous! (I have tried several emails to the council about the hedge but no one as got back to me about it).

If I complain it will cost me £340...ish but I would be lodging it against myself... :?

Where do I stand with the Council..would I be better off letting someone else do the complaining? (The hedge backs on to a building of about 6 units for the the Mental Health Trust). No one else seems to be as bothered by it as I am... The bottom of my garden is dry and not a lot grows there...(except two pear trees) which must have been established a while before the conifer hedge was put in...

Any help appreciated...

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:35 am

You can not use the high hedge law against yourself as you would still have to do the work anyway there is a formula to calculate the allowed height of a hedge and it has to be within a certain distance from an effected property. Anyway enough of this nonsense. If you care to look at the terms of your tenancy agreement you will see that you are responsable for the maintanance of the garden attached to your council house. get a pair of loppers and do ita bit at a time.
Ray

voiceofthemysteron

Post by voiceofthemysteron » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:45 am

Raymond wrote: If you care to look at the terms of your tenancy agreement you will see that you are responsable for the maintanance of the garden attached to your council house. get a pair of loppers and do ita bit at a time.
Ray
I know a much quicker way :wink: :wink:

despair

Post by despair » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03 pm

No matter what height you reduce that hedge too you will always have very dry soil under the hedge and not be able to grow anything

andrew54

Post by andrew54 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:43 pm

If the hedge was high when you moved in you might be able to persuade the council to do something. Phone the council and ask to speak to someone in the Housing department. Remember you are asking for a favour, so be nice to them.

If they won't do it ask your local elected councillor to try persuading them.