Hedges / trees obscuring view

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:31 pm

Hedges / trees obscuring view

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:49 pm

Directly over the road to me is a small holding. 2 years ago the view from our house was of a river and fields. 2 years on the hedges and trees bordering the public footpath (but on the smallholding side) have grown to such an extent that the view is completely obscured. 8 months ago I politely sought permission from the owner if I could employ a professional tree surgeon to trim them back thus restoring the view. This was declined on the grounds that any work carried out to these trees would result in loss of something called a 'Single Farm Supplement'. I was however told by the owner that these trees would be trimmed back in Sept. My neighbour was told the same story when she made a similar request. Sept has been and gone with no sign of any remedial work being carried out. Further to the loss of view these trees are now overhanging a public footpath. Do I have any legal rights as I have lost my view ? Also does anybody know what a 'Single Farm Supplement' is ? As I can reach these trees from the public footpath could I trim them back anyway ?

Posts: 16346
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:07 am

Post by despair » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Unfortunately you do not have a right to a view

However trees/hedges are not allowed to impede a Public Footpath and a complaint to your Local Council should mean they send out a formal 1 months notice that the owner cuts them back or the council will do it and charge him

Keep a check on this and chase the Council if the trees do not get cut back

Posts: 6994
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:25 pm
Location: north yorkshire

Re: Hedges / trees obscuring view

Post by andrew54 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Pete wrote:As I can reach these trees from the public footpath could I trim them back anyway ?
No! The public footpath gives you a right to walk along it, not to use the access to damage someone else's trees. If they obstruct the footpath you should report this to the Rights of Way officer at your local Highway Authority.

Post Reply