neighbours new slabs across shared access !!!

bengalsam

neighbours new slabs across shared access !!!

Post by bengalsam » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 pm

my neighbour decided to have new slabs and a patio area on our shared yard/access and continuing on to her garden....i live in a terrace cottage and have to walk past my neighbours back door to get to my back door....since the slabs have been laid (by her friend the builder) whenever it rains (like tonight) my access gets totally flooded and the water runs under my gate and floods outside my back door !!!! where the access joins her garden the slabs are draining down towards my gate/house/access :evil: we have spoke to my neighbour but all she keeps saying is " o yea i know it's bad flooding butmy builder is comming back to put a drain in !!!!!! well we'd like to know where the "drain" is going to drain to !!!! but she just laughs......i'd post all the photo's of before and after if i knew how to......but can anyone give me any advice as now this aint funny anymore x

catapult1

Re: neighbours new slabs across shared access !!!

Post by catapult1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:34 am

You have to accept natural water flow. However if it is run off from a neighbours building works, either a building such as guttering, or from a patio then your neighour should make sure it doesn't flood or interfere with your land/property.

In short terms your neighbour should do somehting about the flooding they are causeing.

Do the other cottages in the row have a r o w accross your back garden? if not then If they never end up fixing it I don't know if you are able to get the work done yourself and then charge them but I would be inclined to build a bit of a patio of a few slabs draining back to them!
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.

bengalsam

Post by bengalsam » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:47 am

thank you for your reply & advice.....my cottage is on the end so its only my family and me that have to walk through the flooding. and i already have slabs outside my back door but her new slabs/patio is all directed towards my access, gate, sabs & back door :? it wouldn't of been so bad if the builder hadn't filled the gap's in between all the slabs with mortar as then there would of been somewhere for the water to drain to but no he filled them all in so now the water just sits there , we've even tried sweeping the water back on to her patio but it just runs back down again :(

w3526602

Post by w3526602 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:00 pm

I would be inclined to build a bit of a patio of a few slabs draining back to them!

Hi,

I was going to suggest a few sandbags, as a temporary measure, to concentrate your neighbours mind. Where did the water go before the dlags were laid? Is was there a drain, or was it going into your neighbours house?

How about claiming from your insurers, for the flooding? They wil soon sort it out, rather than pay you.

OT... somebody phoned his insurer's call centre to report his garden was flooded. The bloke on the other end of the phoned didn't seem too impressed. Turns out the call centre was in India, and they were suffering a drought.

602 (That was my "last three")

bengalsam

Post by bengalsam » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:14 pm

hi,
there was grass and slabs outside my gate before and they were level so the water just soaked in to the grass and inbetween the slabs, but since the neighbour has had new slabs laid they are all slanting towards my gate and access across the yard hence why now whenever it rains we get flooded out !!!I will ask her 1 more time to get the builder to come and sort it out otherwise i will be contacting my insurance company. Thank u for your help :)

bengalsam

Post by bengalsam » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 pm

well asked her again today what she intended to do about the water, and she said she has contacted the builder 2 weeks ago and she's just waiting for him to come but she doesn't know when he's comming ! and apparently his mobile will only except text messages but not call's !!!!!! but she doesn't hav a mobile so she can't text him !!! My husband told her that if the problem is not fixed asap then he intends to drill holes in to the mortar inbetween the slabs on our access so the water has somewhere to drain to.......this didn't go down too well im afraid :lol: But im wondering if the building regs dept at my local council could help.....does any one know ???

despair

Post by despair » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:04 pm

Tell your neighbour she is cauasing a LEGAL NUISCANCE and she needs to sort it fast or you will be taking legal action

Her builder is clearly a blithering idiot who of course wont come back and fix things

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 am

Make sure the slabs are at least 150mm ( 1 brick depth) below your damp proof line (floor level) or it could cause the damp course to bridge and fail quite quickly.

Regards.

bengalsam

Post by bengalsam » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:47 pm

thank you for your advice it's much appreciated :) her builder friend came back yesterday and took up "half a slab and filled it with chippins" :o only problem is the half slab he took up is not were it floods at all :!: i did tell him i'd drawn a plan of the slabs and marked which one's flooded and i'd taken photo's but neither my neighbour or him took no notice of me and just carried on :? I'm really looking forward to the next few day's as its giv out heavy rain in our area....great !

despair

Post by despair » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Fill some sand bags quick and placed strategically the flood should go back to haunt your neighbour

bengalsam

Post by bengalsam » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:38 pm

LOL Despair gonna go out tonight to Ironbridge (close to where we live ) and nick a few sandbags cos it always get's flooded there...................................i joke of course

bengalsam

Post by bengalsam » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:42 pm

cheers "billy the kid" the slabs ar 2 bricks below........BUT only 1 brick below the 2ft x 1ft air vent shaft to my cellar !!!!! which happens to be my eldest son's bedroom !!!!!! :?

despair

Post by despair » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Then call in the Building Regs Inspector for your area because what the builder has done is illegal

I would also ensure your neighbour is in receipt of a

Putting you on Notice Letter

Making it very clear

1) the slabs and the flooding constitute a Legal Nuiscance

2) Since the slabs are not 2 bricks below damp course level she will now be 100% responsible for all and every bit of damage /flooding that occurs as a result of her builders shoddy work and she should inform her Insurance Co

They will not be happy and its likely will fall baclk on her
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Have you very very carefully checked all mortgages /insurances/credit cards/union membership for Legal Expenses Cover because you might need it

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 am

Someone with more knowledge of planning laws might help here but someone told me that planning permission is required to lay flagged areas for exactly these problems arising from rainfall.

Regards.

bengalsam

Post by bengalsam » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:29 pm

"despair" & "billy the kid" thank you both for your advice (non of which i knew about) at least now i have more knowledge of my problem and will get it sorted.....cheers both