Neighbours using my garden when they only have ROW

angie1240

Neighbours using my garden when they only have ROW

Post by angie1240 »

I rent a home and work long hours. I only sort my garden during school holidays. I started the holiday last weekend and walked out into the back garden to find it had a four foot pile of branches in it. I closed the door and opened it up again only to find it was still there. :shock: I went out and noticed the neighbour had chopped down a large area of their garden and piled up the mess in my garden. I was really annoyed because I was going out to tidy my garden to use it. It is only small and this was taking up a quarter of the garden. I was angry, but thought I wouldn't make a fuss because I'm pregnant and I don't need the stress. I thought they may clear it up in the next few days. Three nights later at half past eight at night I jump up because it sounds like someone has put a brick in my washing machine. When I get into the kitchen I realize it is my neighbour using a wood chopping machine in my garden and it is firing the chopped wood at my back door. :evil: I'm not happy about this, but still don't want to have an argument So I text the landlord asking if he has given permission for the neighbours to do this and explain I am not happy. Landlord arrives at ten past nine and she has just stopped the machine and moved it into her garden. My garden is a bloody mess and she still has a pile of branches left in it.
The neighbours have a ROW through the garden to access the other houses and leave the terrace of houses via the back. It states they may go on foot only to access the other houses to get out via the garden. Surely this does not permit this kind of use? She has broken three out of the five large pots in the garden and still left the mess for me to clean up.
The landlord spoke to her about it and said she needed to clear it up. He told her she had to ask me before she did anything in the garden and I would phone and get his permission. She asked him if she could rent my house because she needed more room. He was shocked and told her I live at the house and will do for some time and she could not have it. He was shocked at the cheek of her behaviour.
I was out in the garden the next day painting the back door. She came out and on her way out was saying to her partner it would be fine if I was the same ethnicity as them. She was implying we don't want her using the garden because she is black. This worried me because an allegation like that could end my career and was obviously untrue as I don't want anybody using my garden in that way of any ethnic background. She didn't know I'd heard her. She came outside and told me my landlord had said that if she needed any help tidying her garden she just had to ask me and I would help her. I had heard the conversation and knew it wasn't true. I told her that what he had said was that she had to ask before she used the garden. I explained that I was cross she was using the garden. She lied and said all the branches had accidentally fallen into my garden in a pile and none had fallen into hers. I said she had a cheek using the wood chopper in my garden. She said she had no choice because she couldn't move the branches into her garden. I said you didn't even ask. She said I knocked on your door. She offered to allow me to use her garden tools to clear her mess. I said no and turned away. I said I would never use your garden without asking.
Her child came to the top window of the house and started talking to me. I would never be rude to a child so I replied to him. He started telling me that he was really lucky because they are going to get a bigger house with a bigger garden when they move next door. He said his mum had promised him he could have a trampoline when they move. I just laughed at the cheek of his mother and he carried on. He then told me that he and his brother and sister had been playing in the neighbour's garden but have to run out when they come to the window.
Sorry for the long posting, but I want to know about if they are allowed to do this. I think they may be being difficult in order to encourage me to move out because they want this house. I want to spend money doing up my garden and put up a willow screen to allow privacy and encourage them to stop using my garden as an extension of theirs. I won't block the gates but the screen will be high. The landlord says it is fine and any problems then he will come back and deal with them again. What can I do if they continue to come in and use the garden? The ROW is only usually used by the water company when they read the water meter. The rest of us know this isn't usually used.
w3526602

Re: Neighbours using my garden when they only have ROW

Post by w3526602 »

Hi,

Me? I would talk to my HR manager, ask his/her advice on how to deal with this without putting your job at risk. Get it on record.

Install a CCTV camera, but pointing only at your garden.

Your neighbour seems confident that they are going to be moving into your house. I wonder why that is? Perhaps they thought it was unoccupied, and had plans to move in and squat? Can somebody here can suggest ways of preventing that.

Get Legal Assistance cover on your house insurance ..... probably about £15 per year before you start taking steps.

602 (That was my "last three")
span

Post by span »

Sounds like your landlord is on-side. Keep him sweet.
angie1240

Post by angie1240 »

Thank you for the replies. The neighbours got worse. They came in and stuck stickers all over the fence on my side and on the floor to show me they had been in. The landlord was great, he came out and told them to clear it up and to respect the boundaries of the property. They swore they would clear it up and were very nice to him. They then sat outside laughing that they weren't going to do it. They didn't.
I noticed weedkiller out in their garden. A few days later all the bushes and plants in the top part of my garden were dead. I was annoyed but thought I couldn't take the stress so I did nothing. The next day the neighbour went up and cleared out all the plants leaving a big muddy area that wash mud down into my garden. She also left a sheer 14ft drop from the top part of my garden to the bottom. She was allowing her 5 year old to play up there. I checked with the land registry and got the name of their landlord. I phoned mine and told him what she had done. I explained that if the child fell he could be legally liable. I said he needed to contact their landlord. It turned out he knew them and they are good friends of his. He got onto him straight away.
In the mean time my 2m willow screening arrived. I fixed it on my side of the fence with plastic ties. The neighbour came out and was saying he would cut them. When I was clearing the garden they had been storing things down my side of the fence. I put baskets and things back, but then found illegal drug paraphernalia at the bottom. It had been used as what looked like, i guess, marijuana was at the bottom of it. I got gloves and placed that in the bin. It may have belonged to the students that lived in my house before, but I hadn't noticed it before. I was worried about finding things like that when I need a clean police record and would never touch them myself.
However, they did then remove the stickers. I believe their landlord has now pointed out that their behaviour is not acceptable and they need to stop to remain in their property. So far this has worked. I have a nice garden that I can use in peace and my new patio set is lovely. I'm getting solar lights and am determined to have quiet enjoyment of my home. So, if you are having problems it can work out well. Fingers crossed it will stay that way for me. :D
angie1240

Post by angie1240 »

I'm using this as my log of events in case this goes to court. I thought it was over, but today I found a very large pile of censored at my back door. Not from anything that could have gotten through the gates unaided. The neighbour was in her kitchen with the windows open laughing and saying she will deny this one and we can't prove it. She obviously wanted me to hear. I've had enough of this. It is petty and annoying. I have allowed my landlord and their landlord to deal with it. They don't want to let it go and allow me to just enjoy my home in peace. I don't need to be picking up animal or human censored when I'm pregnant.
Well, if a legal battle is the only thing that will stop it then I will do it. It is a pointless pursuit that they could easily avoid by stopping. I had bought a very high tech colour baby monitor with night vision for the baby I'm expecting. I've now set it up watching the garden area. I can see the garden at all times and I can hook it up to record the images. I'm going to have to do it to prove what they are doing and hopefully make them stop. I don't want revenge or legal justice. I just want peace and quiet to enjoy my home and garden. I went out into the garden with my son and had a very loud conversation about the fact the cctv is now operating and has very high quality images and excellent night vision. I hope it will put them off and just make them live their life in their home and leave us alone in ours.
I loved having my garden sorted. My son is being assessed for a type of autism and I've done the garden to give him a safe place to be outside without the worry of difficult social interaction. He now says he doesn't want to go into the garden in case the neighbours do something. It no longer feels like the safe place it was meant to for him.
Anyway, I'm just blogging my feelings. It probably sounds petty, but it is difficult to explain the disappointment I feel that they couldn't just leave it alone and knowing they are going to continue. I just dread what might be coming next. I'll be back to opening my blinds in the morning with the feeling of please God let them not have done anything, I just want to have a relaxed day. I also feel really bad keep complaining to my landlord. He is a busy guy and he doesn't need this either. The house is nice and well maintained. Oh well, I'm going to stay positive that today may be the day that they realize what a waste energy their behaviour is. :|
mr sheen

Post by mr sheen »

The place is rented; you feel you are getting nothing but aggravation (and whether trivial or not it is getting to you) and you are pregnant - heaven and earth wouldn't keep me there another minute!
You have the option of packing your bags and moving on tomorrow morning - leaving the hassle behind and getting on with your life. New baby and autistic child need your full attention rather than watching the garden of a rented property. Life is full of choices and when a property is rented, there is a choice of stay or move - your choice, your life.
despair

Post by despair »

I agree ............move and move now

Neighbours like that simply will not stop ..........just thank your lucky stars you rent .........think of the hell and financial effect if you owned it

For the sake of your children get out as fast as you can and let the Landlord rent it to some real bullies who are more than capable of sorting out the nasty pair next door
angie1240

Post by angie1240 »

thank you for the replies. I can understand why you would say that. Unfortunately, It all started literally a couple of days after I signed a contract for another year. I know I may be able to get out of it due to this but, I love this house and the area. I've moved a lot and I've settled here. It does cost to move from a rented property and I've just spent around £500 getting this place to where I need it for the baby arriving because I was planning on staying another year. I've repainted a lot of the house, done the garden and bought new curtains and bed sheets to match everything in this house. To get a decent house to rent in this area I'd need at least another £2000 to cover the deposit, months rent in advance and moving fees. I wouldn't get the £1000 deposit on this place back for at least a month after I leave. It isn't an option at the moment and my landlord and their landlord are willing to tackle this. I also can get to work easily from here with a friend. I really can't move at the moment.
I know they do want this house, but my landlord says there is no way on Earth they would get their foot in the door. If they want a bigger and better house they have to work for it like the rest of us. This is a very respectable area and both landlords are well known and respected business men in the area or surrounding area. I also have a well respected job that suggests a good amount of integrity. I don't think they can allow it to carry on. I just have to have faith they will see sense and stop.
angie1240

Post by angie1240 »

I had to post an update because this case got ridiculous. It turned out the bong and marijuana did belong to them, I knew it must have because it was on top of their things. I heard them talking about how it didn't look good that I had found it. The issues with the garden continued, they came in and stole things from the garden cupboard, they ripped down my CCTV sign each time I put it up, they smashed some of my solar lights and threw my sun shade down because they were furious that I had CCTV covering my garden as there was a six inch gap in the fence that they thought meant I might see what they were doing in their garden. I then started smelling marijuana coming into the house on a regular basis. Their baby was left crying for hours during this time. I went to the police and told them about it. They said I should have been in contact before and they may have to tell social services about drug use with a baby in the house. They said they would contact the officer in charge of anti-social behaviour and he would put a card through my door and I should keep in contact with them. The card never arrived and the police didn't contact me again. Anyway, after a series of late night planting (with soil they stole from my garden cupboard), and lots of drilling by my electric metre a strange smell started to fill my house. My landing and bathroom light wouldn't work for around twelve hours and then work perfectly.It was regular as clockwork. The smell became so bad it would greet you at the front door, but was strongest along the wall adjoining my neighbours and in my nursery the pungent smell and very strong air freshner would nearly knock you over. More things happened and well I'm a postgraduate forensic science student (amongst other things) and my study of drug toxicology and production was kinda making it clear what was happening. Also,twice i've smelt drugs being smoked that I believe are class a drugs too. I found the circuit they were tapped into and turned it off, only to hear them plugging things in and shouting it's not working. I then heard the man saying I'll rewire it later. I started hearing large electrical bangs from the wall and was worried the house could burn down. I'd also heard the man threaten to come and sort me out because he thought I was making noise at ten o'clock in the garden. He flew down the stairs shouting I'm going to sort that censored out. He then discovered it was two big men in the house the other side of me, he didn't seem to want to sort them out(I was heavily pregnant at the time) so ran back in the house as quick as he could. They had also somehow got my ex-directory home number that I give to nobody except, my family, the doctors and the bank. They would phone me when I went upstairs and then laugh when I had to run down the stairs and pick up the phone. I could even hear their TV in the background and I heard the women telling her daughter to be careful that her dad doesn't get into trouble for giving them that number(they shout everything). By this time my baby was two weeks away from being born and they were on their second lot of planting and i'd had enough. I wrote a long letter to the police listing the evidence of drug cultivation and told my landlord. He contacted the letting agent and a bag of plant material was put out in the rubbish.The man returned some of the stolen items by throwing them, as hard as he could, into the garden cupboard whilst shouting you can do what you like in your own home to his partner. I believe she claims she is living alone to get benefits. I took the letter to the police, I was given a crime reference number and told that it was serious and they would be in contact that day or in the morning. No contact ever happened, yet the neighbours were talking about me going to the police. The woman was telling him not to use the plug socket they have hooked up to my electric, he laughed and said she needs proof, she needs prooferbio. I was cross so I logged onto my neighbourhood police site and looked for the officer in charge of anti-social behaviour(also reducing drug use in the area and thefts from garden buildings, these are his targets from the loal community), IT WAS THE MAN NEXT DOOR! Yes, I'm living next to what, in my opinion, can only be described as a bent copper. Well, they are still using my electric and they know I know it and can't do a bloody thing about it. He is more arrogant than ever he has even parked his car, fully on the pavement, two feet from my front door so I couldn't get the pram out of my house and he left it there for over an hour. They have claimed it is because I don't like the fact his partners black that I've said these things. That disgusts me but I don't think there is a level this guy won't sink to. His partner told him to stop it she has been far more sensible than him. Anyway, I have parents from a large variety of ethnic backgrounds that will testify to how much I care about their children when I've taught them. The thing I hate is drugs. I've worked with people who have developed mental illness due to drugs and the stories are heartbraking and impact far more than themselves. I know I did the right thing going to the police. The police are in the wrong.
I have got a much better job, meaning I have to move in a few months. I found a town 10 miles away but discovered it was still covered by this disgraceful police station so I'm moving further away because I know he could try something. I was worried about things being put my garden by him, but I would have a forensics team prove they had had no contact with me or my family. When I move away, I intend to put a letter in to the chief constable telling him what I think of his officers in this town. I just thought I'd let you know that garden disputes can get much worse if you keep relying on your neighbour to develop some decency. This police officer may spend his days pretending to be respectable, but I know the truth!
mr sheen

Post by mr sheen »

'Like the house and area' 'just signed a new lease for a year'....all seem a bit meaningless now.
If you are lucky enough to be able to pack up and go away from nfh's with the only losses being a year's rent, grab the opportunity. Most people have to lose money on solicitors etc and sale costs and devalued property prices (which can amount to 10's of thousands of pounds!)- moving on from a rented property next door to nfh's is dirt cheap in comparison and can preserve your sanity (which can't be measured in money!).

Perhaps when others see this case it may make them think twice about their responses to 'just move!' comments from contributors.

Personally, with your responsibilities and commitments, I would not waste one iota of my energy nor push up my stress levels a single notch further by taking this matter any further, I would just walk away and move on with my life leaving the whole sorry episode behind (having learned a valuable lesson in life).
angie1240

Post by angie1240 »

I did understand why you gave that advice and I was greatful for it, but I didn't have the money to move. My baby was due and my money had dropped to maternity pay. I could not have found the money to move because I didn't even have enough to pay all my bills without putting some each month on my credit card. If you don't have the money, it makes no differene if the costs are thousands or hundreds of thousands, you just can't do it. If people can move then yes they should because it is bloody horrible and you can under estimate how horrible some people can be, but the law should protect those of us that can't.
Roblewis
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Roblewis »

This IS antisocial behaviour and I think you need to talk to yopur landlord about getting rid of these tenants - it is his responsibility initially. Talk now to your EHO and write to the divisional superintendent of your local police, copy the chief constable. If you get no response then the Police Complaints Commission are your next move. You really need to report the drugs also as I suspect that there may be other issues in the house. Good luck
mr sheen

Post by mr sheen »

Doggedly pursuing campaigns against anti-social druggies and bent coppers is of course the OP's choice but such people may come into the category of bad people not just nfh's.