Child safety in rights of way

andrew54

Re: Child safety in rights of way

Post by andrew54 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Sudynim wrote: - place the release buttons 6ft off the ground, out of reach of small children.
But that might keep out a visiting 8 year old.

happydaysalways
Number of Posts per Page: 11
Number of topics per page: 11

Post by happydaysalways » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am

Thank you to everyones replies and suggestions.
Really appreciate it!

Sudynim

Post by Sudynim » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 pm

andrew54 wrote:
Sudynim wrote: - place the release buttons 6ft off the ground, out of reach of small children.
But that might keep out a visiting 8 year old.
Think of that as a bonus.

Conveyancer

Post by Conveyancer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:23 pm

andrew54 wrote:That was more than half a century ago, where have all the years gone?
It seems only yesterday I was standing up to let the elderly sit down on buses. Now the young are standing up to let me sit down. I tend to refuse on the grounds that I am nowhere near elderly.
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:02 am

Happydaysalways,

Could you set up an acrylic mirror in the garden that would allow you to see the right of way gate from your house (or several mirrors angled to "relay" the reflection)?

Probably more practically, could you mount an old-school style shop bell above the gate, so it clangs when the gate is opened?

happydaysalways

Post by happydaysalways » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:01 pm

we live in the house on the end which has access through my garden for 2 other properties at the other side of my garden. They also have a front access thereby they dont have to cross my garden when leaving their property.
On my deeds it clearly says that owners and occupiers are the only people with right of access through my garden. However other people have put it on themselves to use it.
Is this legal or can I stop them walking through?
Thanks
happydaysalways

andrew54

Post by andrew54 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:08 pm

happydaysalways wrote:we live in the house on the end which has access through my garden for 2 other properties at the other side of my garden. They also have a front access thereby they dont have to cross my garden when leaving their property.
On my deeds it clearly says that owners and occupiers are the only people with right of access through my garden. However other people have put it on themselves to use it.
Is this legal or can I stop them walking through?
Thanks
happydaysalways

"They also have a front access thereby they dont have to cross my garden" That is not relevant at all. There are probable twenty entrances to Buchingham Palace, it doesn't mean you can obstruct one.

"On my deeds it clearly says that owners and occupiers are the only people with right of access through my garden." It depends on the exact wording but usually it includes all valid visitors to the properties.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Above answer sums it up.
ROW is for properties as you indicate in your first line, not people, so the right is to get to that property via the ROW for all those having legitimate business or occupying or visiting that property.

happydaysalways

Post by happydaysalways » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:36 pm

In the deeds it specifically says a right of access for owners and occupiers only of the two houses next to ours and doesnt mention anybody else. Thanks for all your repli

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Conveyancer has addressed this in his reply on the parallel thread - please refer to that.

happydaysalways

Post by happydaysalways » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:58 pm

We have now had a solicitors letter saying that they are going to get a restraining injunction on us if we don't remove a fire extinguisher and our child's toys from the path where the right of access goes through. The path is very wide and there is ample space to pass through. These are not stopping passage through the right of access.......how do we handle this?

span

Post by span » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 pm

happydaysalways wrote:We have now had a solicitors letter saying that they are going to get a restraining injunction on us if we don't remove a fire extinguisher and our child's toys from the path where the right of access goes through. The path is very wide and there is ample space to pass through. These are not stopping passage through the right of access.......how do we handle this?
Ignore the letter, or comply with it. Toss a coin.

hzatph

Post by hzatph » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 am

Ignore it - such a legal action is frivolous and I find it difficult to believe that they would be successful unless there is real interference with their ability to use the ROW. You can always choose to comply later if they do issue proceedings. Ignore it for now.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 am

They are just using it to assert they have ROW.

happydaysalways

Post by happydaysalways » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks to everyone!