Parking trouble/blocking of back street with vehicles

chaoticj
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 30

Parking trouble/blocking of back street with vehicles

Post by chaoticj » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi,

We live on a main road - there is plenty of parking outside the house however there is a sports ground 1/4 of a mile away. The streets around the sports ground are residents only parking which pushes the fans further afield to where we are. If I have to move the car or come back whilst a sporting event is still on - the space is taken when I return.

I understand there is no right to park outside your house as it's a public, not a private road. One of the neighbours puts a cone out in front of their house but I gather this could be considered an obstruction of the highway so I can't do that. I don't have a drive at the front and it would be very impractical and expensive to install one and also if someone was to park across it, if you aren't on the drive then there's nothing that can be done.

I have off street parking accessed from a gate to the long back street which is just about two cars wide serves 40-50 properties. There are many garages and some of the houses can only access their parking from this back street. The problem is when the sports events are on some of the neighbours park vehicles there.

If you park very close to a wall it's possible to pass but they don't necessarily do this. Sometimes one side of the back street is blocked other times it could be both - because they park on both sides with not much of a gap between. Usually when sports events are on but also I've had the same issue in the morning with white vans when I've been needing to get to work.

A particular neighbour asked me a while back if it was OK to park in a certain way and i said yes, however last time I was trying to get into my off street parking we unfortunately had an argument, they said that they can park there 'as they live there'.

I would probably speak to this particular neighbour again but if I end up getting blocked in what options do I have available? I've thought about putting a sign up but this might just be ignored? I had a look and the back street is I believe an unclassified public road.

Thanks in advance.

Eliza

Re: Parking trouble/blocking of back street with vehicles

Post by Eliza » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:13 pm

People are not legally allowed to block a "Right of Way". Vehicles can only be parked there temporarily - to "load or unload" people or goods. I would have thought this lane comes under that heading.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....