Our building work, rights of way and neighbours

Building16

Re: Our building work, rights of way and neighbours

Post by Building16 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am

Spoke to NT. And need to speak to someone else today. I think we are getting somewhere. It is a case of separating out their true concerns as an organisation Vs what they have put in try and stop the neighbours hassling them regarding the track surface. I can have a sensible reasonable conversation with them so am pretty hopeful.

As I mentioned we are not completely blocking all access. Pedestrian access remains. They could get out between lorry loads from their house. And they can park their car on our land on the garage so they would have to walk less than 50m to get to.

As mentioned previously, it is impossible to create a temporary lay by until these initial works are completed.

After the meeting yesterday it appears they will be on holiday for around half of the build time. So hopefully we can time the trickier bits around their holidays. They are not particularly concerned about blockages though.

However, I would describe them as volatile so we need to cover our backs as much as we can. The areas they are bothered about, unfortunately are not things they get control of. E.g what we plant in our garden, the want us to work longer hours to finish sooner.

We also have a row over their land to turn vehicles, which the builders will not be using. Again they are not happy about this, I think because it gives them less opportunities to complain. This has given me another idea...

Building16

Post by Building16 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 pm

The story of the row over their land is probably relevant thinking about it.

This was a dispute between previous owners of neighbour's house (ponh) and previous owner of our house (pooh).

Basically when ponh bought the house they decided to erect a locked gate over the track as it entered their property. This included two brick gate posts. However, this now meant that vehicles could no longer turn around on pooh property and would have to reverse out onto the main road.

Pooh demonstrated 20 years usage by contacting the owners of the house before them and along with the safety issues, were granted a right of way for turning. Ponh were obviously not happy, However, removed the gates. However the gate posts remained. These gate posts mean that large lorries cannot go through them into the neighbours land To use the row.

Writing this I have now realised that we might have a case for getting the gate posts removed but I would need to look into row wording. Again, not something to raise and unnecessarily annoy neighbours at this stage but something that we could raise later if it would help the construction process.

As I mentioned previously, our builders aren't using that That row and are doing alot of work to avoid it, so costs for us. Neighbours aren't particularly happy about this but I think it covers everyone involved and avoids having to worry about discussing the pillars with neighbours.

Building16

Post by Building16 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:39 pm

I guess that reasonable people bit is the bit I am nervous about! They seem very conflicted about the works. They want it to happen soon, and as fast as possible, as they want to sell. But they are very aggressive towards the builders/architect. They try to blame the builders for things that are a) our choices and nothing to do with builders and b) not stuff that is in their control, e.g. which trees we trim in our garden.

I think they would welcome an opportunity to sue our builders. They don't want to sue us as they know they would have to declare a dispute.

They have engaged a surveyor to document their house in case it gets damaged, but then are annoyed when the builders/us don't want to use the row on their land/take up the offer of parking on their land. They are asking if they can join in with some of the services stuff we are doing but then going on about how they think all builders are crooks, with builders there! And also are phoning NT to complain about the works. NT guy I spoke to, who is always lovely, is feeling stuck in the middle a bit I think.

Really, it feels more like a control thing, rather than genuine concern about inconvenience, which we would do it best to find ways round. Maybe he just wants someone to rant at, which is fine, but confusing! He also clearly has limited knowledge of how row work.

If it was any other neighbours I had lived next to, I wouldn't have even been posting on here!

Paying them some damages may be an answer but volunteering in advance is I suspect going to actually cause more problems for us not less, particularly if they end up not being around for most of it. I would want solicitors to negotiate it formally if we go that route anyway. If it happens later then so be it.