Archery

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Ultimate_death

Post by Ultimate_death » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:14 pm

Whoever gave me the link again for the contact thing thanks but i meant that i had already been on the site but not seen the contact us rather than didn't see hte link.

I don't really think darts is my soprt and i'm waiting for a reply from the archery association as far as i can tell im going to have to get £300+ of safety nets and poles to completely surround the range.

andrew54

Post by andrew54 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:45 pm

im going to have to get £300+ of safety nets and poles to completely surround the range.
And you might need planning permission for this structure, and possibly for a change of use from domestic garden to shooting range.

Conveyancer

Post by Conveyancer » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:08 pm

Ultimate_death wrote:Whoever gave me the link again for the contact thing thanks but i meant that i had already been on the site but not seen the contact us rather than didn't see hte link.
Don't worry, that's what I thought you meant. :D

Ultimate_death

Post by Ultimate_death » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:03 am

I don't think planning permissions would be necessary as it would be for private use and nets can easily be assemled or taken down when i want to.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Ultimate_death wrote:I don't think planning permissions would be necessary as it would be for private use and nets can easily be assemled or taken down when i want to.
Why is it that I do not a feel " a net " put up by "Ultimate_ death" would satify me that it has provided adequate protection? Were I a neighbour I thnk I would have concerns.
Time to lock this thread???????
Ray

Ultimate_death

Post by Ultimate_death » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:50 pm

You have a good point.:twisted: You may as well lock this thread because you gave me all the help i need a while back at the start of this thread. Thanks everyone

Dorset Boy

Post by Dorset Boy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:58 pm

All reading

Whilst I accept that the thread is all but done can I please put in one final point of view here, as an experienced field archer.
Whilst many jests are made about the use of bows, men in tights etc there is a more serious side and that is one of safety. Scary as it is anyone can buy any type of bow they wish, that includes some really complicated compound bows with poundages exceeding 70 and arrow speeds of over 350ft a second ,yes I did mean to type 350 ft p/s. The previous comment of carrying out a risk assessment is very true but the simple reply when you are bordered on all sides is do not even think about it net or not. There is little justification for loosing arrows in such circumstances and of course with the way society works now one tragedy could end the sport for literally thousands of participants. There will be, unless you are out in the back of beyond, either a target or field club near to you, try GNas, Efaa or Nfas via search engines,I say try Nfas its more fun and gets you out to appreciate trees, woodland and beautiful countryside!
A fairly low powered bow has a range of over 200m at full draw, if the equipment fails as you draw, the arrow could go anywhere not into the netted zone, similalry net producers do not suggest that the net is actually sufficient to stop an arrow and I have seen pass throughs on many occasions.
Stay safe, visit a club ,learn about the gear and you will realise how dangerous garden shooting is, hey you might even find a new hobby.

Ultimate_death

Post by Ultimate_death » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks,
That's just the kind of reply i needed (as the archery association haven't replied); whether it was feasible or not. I have access to an indoor range that is 5 minutes away, but i only have access once a week so i thought it would be more convenient to do it in my own garden. However, you are right to say it is unsafe, and while it is probably safe if i surround my self with proper nets(infront, above,below,left,right and behind) (Costing £100 for 10' square)for a low poundage bow, i will end up spending far more on nets than membership at a good club.

Beech

Post by Beech » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:22 pm

I know our local achers moved their club and practice area a couple of years ago because they insurance on that particular site was incredibly expensive. Have you thought of joining more than one club to allow yourself more time to practice?

There are a number of organisations in UK, I think you'll find they're listed Archery Organisations
[size=84][url=http://ask4help.org.uk/]http://ask4help.org.uk/[/url][/size]

MrSilly
Number of Posts per Page: 10

Re: Archery

Post by MrSilly » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:15 am

As a recipient of someone's arrow after archery practice in their garden, I can safely say that whatever the legalities it's an utterly stupid thing to be doing unless you have a massive garden (and even then it's a massively stupid thing to be doing). Although...it's unlikely you're as stupid as them as they were pretty idiotic, so you may do it more safely :)

When I asked why they decided to shoot towards their back fence (towards our house) they said "We didn't want to break anything by aiming at the house".
It was OK to aim towards ours though, and in the direction of our garden where we often wander around not expecting arrows. Not a brain cell between them...