Septic Tank

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

despair

Re: Septic Tank

Post by despair » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:06 am

Can you get a friend to also contact EH and raise the issue of smell on public land ...the local council along with EH are not likely to be amused at this carry on

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 am

Why illegal? Because after 1st Jan 2020 its illegal to let untreated domestic sewage flow into or onto local waterways or land.

People either need to install a drainage field (usually impossible due to space requirements) or replace the system altogether with an active treatment system that discharges water that is 'cleaned' to an acceptable level.

If you also have a septic tank you should also check you comply. Whoever empties your tank should be able to advise.

The following link contains a download that has some pretty clear diagrams that show the options quite nicely.

https://www.ukdpsolutions.co.uk/download/quick-guide

Paddock

fernlady
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by fernlady » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:38 am

despair wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:06 am
Can you get a friend to also contact EH and raise the issue of smell on public land ...the local council along with EH are not likely to be amused at this carry on
Ok, thank you

fernlady

Post by fernlady » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:39 am

Paddock wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 am
Why illegal? Because after 1st Jan 2020 its illegal to let untreated domestic sewage flow into or onto local waterways or land.

People either need to install a drainage field (usually impossible due to space requirements) or replace the system altogether with an active treatment system that discharges water that is 'cleaned' to an acceptable level.

If you also have a septic tank you should also check you comply. Whoever empties your tank should be able to advise.

The following link contains a download that has some pretty clear diagrams that show the options quite nicely.

https://www.ukdpsolutions.co.uk/download/quick-guide

Paddock
Thank you so much for the info, I really have no idea about all of this so the info is very helpful

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:09 am

fernlady wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 am
I don't want them kicked out. I just want it off my land. They did say they would sort it out but it hasn't been done. I didn't realise they'd dug a trench though, I just thought they weren't emptying their septic tank very often so I am pretty annoyed at them. I'll just contact the EA as you suggest and let them sort it all out properly. Thanks for your help.

There is no certainty to that, which is why I described it as the 'nuclear option' - another option is the enforced emptying of the tank.

The age, size, location and condition of the tank will all be taken into consideration..................once the EA have visited.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

fernlady

Post by fernlady » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:00 am

Thanks, I did understand what you meant, I just didn't want it to appear as if I'm being spiteful. I honestly feel bad about getting them in trouble but they simply haven't rectified it at all even after we asked many times. I just thought they weren't emptying it but it seems the trench is their solution which I've only just discovered. their house is pre-war so I guess the tank is also really outdated to be honest. Flippin' neighbours!

cleo5

Post by cleo5 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:33 pm

Fernlady,
Please do not feel you are being unkind about this.
There are some things one can put up with but a neighbour's septic tank overspill spoiling your land is definitelynot one of them.
Septic tanks can sometimes overspill after a lot of rain it seems but owners should have their tanks emptied or at least inspected once a year. A run off trench should be deep enough to absorb excess waste water.
If the ground is soggy a spreading of straw might help soak up the excess as a temporary matter .

Be careful when using garden lime, wear goggles and gloves and avoid spreading it on a windy day.

Youur neighbour is entirely at fault He must bear the brunt of any clean up advised by the environmental officer.
They take such leaks seriously.
My son was an environmental office for many years.

fernlady

Post by fernlady » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Many thanks for your advice. I really don't want to get them into trouble, but since the number of householders has tripled, there is just so much waste so I really don't have much choice. Thanks for the info, bet your son saw this many times over!

alyson
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by alyson » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:38 pm

How would you feel if someone walked onto your front lawn and did a censored?
Because that is pretty much what your neighbour is doing if he fails to sort out his septic tank

fernlady

Post by fernlady » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:55 pm

You are right I know, I will get it sorted, thank you.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 am

Any progress to report..............?
arborlad

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:55 pm

It is important to note, a Septic Tank only needs 'emptying' every so often, to remove accumulated sludge. Under normal operation it will remain 'full', with the clarified effluent leaving the tank, which, depending on the treatment process offered by the setup, can be discharged into a soakaway to percolate into the subsoil, or in some cases is clean enough to be put straight into a watercourse. However, any discharge from a septic tank that is causing a nuisance will be of interest to the EA, it is not permissible to cause a pollution with the discharge from any septic tank or package treatment plant.

The EA are clamping down now on the discharges from septic tanks under the new legislation, which comes into force next year. Many existing installations may not meet the requirements and will require upgrading to comply.

fernlady

Post by fernlady » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:55 pm
It is important to note, a Septic Tank only needs 'emptying' every so often, to remove accumulated sludge. Under normal operation it will remain 'full', with the clarified effluent leaving the tank, which, depending on the treatment process offered by the setup, can be discharged into a soakaway to percolate into the subsoil, or in some cases is clean enough to be put straight into a watercourse. However, any discharge from a septic tank that is causing a nuisance will be of interest to the EA, it is not permissible to cause a pollution with the discharge from any septic tank or package treatment plant.

The EA are clamping down now on the discharges from septic tanks under the new legislation, which comes into force next year. Many existing installations may not meet the requirements and will require upgrading to comply.
Shouldn't the soak away be on their own land though? And should it be at the surface? Currently it just runs like a brook over mud and then soaks into our garden.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:35 pm

arborlad wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:56 pm
Contact the Environment Agency.
arborlad

cleo5

Post by cleo5 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:30 pm

fernlady,
This should not be allowed to run over your land even if it is simply water effluent.
As has been said the sludge remains at the bottom but as this accumulates it still needs to be removed from time to time.
If his ground is higher than yours then naturally it will overspill onto yourland.

Next door to me had a septic tank and was emptied yearly..only two people using it! So probably small.
Never any overspill onto our land in 40 years and that land is four feet higher than ours.

However for years we had continuous pig effluent running in a stream across our path from farmer,s land further along. We never complained as he was a lovely man
And just stepped over it, but water board found stream at bottom ofmy garden polluted and traced it to the farmer and he was told to drain it elsewhere.
Again this land was higher than ours. There was even an length of drainpipe to allow the overspill in the bank beween his land and ours but obscured by undergrowth.

So you see your neighbour is contravening health and safety rules and needs to be reported apart from thefact that he is causing you inconvenience.
I hope by now you have reported it and the EO hasbeen out to inspect it.