Septic Tank

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

arborlad

Re: Septic Tank

Post by arborlad » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 am

fernlady wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Shouldn't the soak away be on their own land though? And should it be at the surface? Currently it just runs like a brook over mud and then soaks into our garden.

These are questions that should have been asked - and answered, by the Environment Agency over a week ago.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

fernlady
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by fernlady » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:39 pm

So we reported all of the above to Environmental Health who came to put dye down the neighbour's toilet yesterday. There is a pool of vivid blue water in the trench today so they are returning to test. The water level has dropped considerably so we assume the neighbours haven't flushed their loos or ran taps since the dye was put in to stop the flow but it still came through anyway. On closer inspection we think the septic tank wall is on or beyond the neighbour's boundary with no room for a soak away before reaching Forestry ground so instead they have a hole in the septic wall (which is breeze blocks?) draining excess goo out straight onto Forestry land by way of a trench which channels to my garden.
We are also going to contact the FC to say that we would not be happy for the situation to continue even if the tank is emptied as it could happen again if not emptied in time. It's a bit fresh down there as I had to get right in to take photos and sunk in my wellies about 6 inches. Off for a shower and thanks for all the advice.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:34 pm

fernlady wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:39 pm
So we reported all of the above to Environmental Health

Environmental Health is not the same as the Environment Agency, both have powers and both will act. In my experience, the Environment Agency has wider powers and is more willing to use them in circumstances like yours.
arborlad

fernlady
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by fernlady » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:46 pm

It's been reported to them too and we have a case number, just waiting for them to come out.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:53 pm

fernlady wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:46 pm
It's been reported to them too and we have a case number, just waiting for them to come out.

You should've done this a month ago, then you wouldn't still be up to your ankles in your neighbours effluent.
arborlad