Washing line problem

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Beech

Post by Beech »

Angelisle wrote: Were these lines in place when you purchased, are others in the area using the same method or indeed have you spoken to your neighbour and mentioned whatever your concerns are to them?
That seems by far the best way forwards.

Anything else such as trying to enforce your rights to air space, or because you don't want to look at another person's laundry, is likely to be ridiculously costly and will forever sour relationships with those you have to live next to.

I've often seen these tall/high washing lines when travelling on the train. In some areas it seems to be the best way to catch a breeze to dry the washing, not everybody wants to use a tumble dryer and in my experience straight lines dry laundry more quickly than rotary dryers.
[size=84][url=http://ask4help.org.uk/]http://ask4help.org.uk/[/url][/size]
Sandy136

Re: Washing line problem

Post by Sandy136 »

Our neighbours have erected a pagoda next to my fence which is bad enough, but now use it as a washing line. I have an image but don't seem to be able to attach it.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

Sandy136 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:04 pm Our neighbours have erected a pagoda next to my fence which is bad enough, but now use it as a washing line. I have an image but don't seem to be able to attach it.
are you the OP using a new profile? if not, you need to start your own thread rather than hijack this one from 15 years ago...
Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope »

Sandy136 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:04 pm Our neighbours have erected a pagoda next to my fence which is bad enough, but now use it as a washing line. I have an image but don't seem to be able to attach it.
Pagodas are enormously tall - have you ever seen the one at Kew?

https://hrp.imgix.net/https%3A%2F%2Fhis ... cfd58b96a0
IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK »

Clifford Pope wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:31 pm
Clifford,
I am just imagining that amazing structure covered with washing lines full of sheets and clothing flapping in the breeze. Do they make them "under-counter top" size I wonder... If so I'll trade in my tumble drier. :D
MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 »

IdefixUK wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 pm
Clifford Pope wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:31 pm
Clifford,
I am just imagining that amazing structure covered with washing lines full of sheets and clothing flapping in the breeze. Do they make them "under-counter top" size I wonder... If so I'll trade in my tumble drier. :D
tumble dryer, not drier - the latter is an adjective, not a noun :)
IdefixUK

Post by IdefixUK »

MockB57

Thinks fore collecting moi inglish, eye wash eye cud efford ay spill chicken anna dixynary lyke wot u kan.

Regrades
MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 »

IdefixUK wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 pm MockB57

Thinks fore collecting moi inglish, eye wash eye cud efford ay spill chicken anna dixynary lyke wot u kan.

Regrades
just having fun - like others were who’d noticed someone had got the words “pagoda” and “pergola” mixed up
Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope »

Except that drier/dryer are interchangeable for the name of the drying machine, and the COD gives drier first.
Sandy136

Post by Sandy136 »

Pergoda
The Pergoda is a similar concept to the pergola in that it is a garden structure used to provide a shaded seating area, however, it is used purely as a sheltered seating area and not to provide a shaded walkway. You could say that Pergodas are a combination of both the Pagoda and pergola, as the pagoda resembles a fixed building with a floor, walls and a roof, whereas the pergola only offers a sheltered roof. Pergodas are normally constructed from wooden decking, with vertical wooden beam supports and a wooden slat roof – which can be painted or wood stained to any colour.
Read and inwardly digest before being a know it all MockB57
MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 »

Sandy136 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:02 pm Pergoda
The Pergoda is a similar concept to the pergola in that it is a garden structure used to provide a shaded seating area, however, it is used purely as a sheltered seating area and not to provide a shaded walkway. You could say that Pergodas are a combination of both the Pagoda and pergola, as the pagoda resembles a fixed building with a floor, walls and a roof, whereas the pergola only offers a sheltered roof. Pergodas are normally constructed from wooden decking, with vertical wooden beam supports and a wooden slat roof – which can be painted or wood stained to any colour.
Read and inwardly digest before being a know it all MockB57
why are you aiming you response at me (I assume that is who MockB57 is)?!? you ought to take your own advice: read and inwardly digest before sniping at the wrong person...
IdefixUK

Post by IdefixUK »

This new learning amazes me. Explain again how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. :D
Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope »

Sandy136 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:02 pm
The Pergoda is a similar concept to the pergola
No one has mentioned a pergoda. The post said the neighbour had constructed a pagoda.

I can see that "pergoda" is a composite word, but it's a curious marriage. A pagoda is characterised by being extremely tall, and weatherproof, a pergola is being barely one storey with holes in the roof.
SJC14

Post by SJC14 »

D. Griffiths wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:47 pm My neighbours washing line is 20 feet high and is one or two feet from our dividing hedge/boundary.
:shock: that sounds awful even if it was 15 years ago.