Neighbours Sky Dish installed on My Property - What can I do?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

john78
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 50

Neighbours Sky Dish installed on My Property - What can I do?

Post by john78 »

Hi, looking for some advice on what to do next. My neighbour had Sky installed last month and 90% of his dish is on my property (see Pic.1). He has also had it attached to an intrusive pole, which is on his side, however the pole is up against my wall (it’s not a shared garden wall).

The trespass issue aside, he has put it in such a place that he is not blighted by it at all (as his property is a regular bungalow with the front door at the front and kitchen door at rear. And can not therefore see the dish/pole from anywhere inside his house or even his garden, unless he comes around his garden to the side near to his garage). However my property is a chalet bungalow (original main entrance on the side, kitchen door on the side, main bathroom downstairs – all facing this intrusive pole). I can see the pole/dish when I am in the bathroom using the sink/bath or toilet (pic.2), so also a privacy issue here should the neighbour need to do any maintenance on the dish (which currently, would constitute trespass due to the dish location). I can also see the dish/pole from my kitchen (Pic.3). As well as being able to see it sticking out like a sore thumb when I’m in my garden (Pic.1).

A few days after the dish went up, I went to speak to my neighbour to tell him that his dish is on my property. He seemed to think this was not a problem!!! I said to him it is a problem and to get it moved. It’s been close to a month now and nothing seems to have been done by him.

I’ve tried to speak to various people at Sky, only to be told that they can’t do anything and my neighbour would need to contact them and ask for a relocation of the dish??? Surely this can’t be right :x

I’d like to nip this in the bud and get it resolved as soon as possible and would be grateful for any pointers in the right direction.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Neighbours Sky Dish installed on My Property - What can I do?

Post by Collaborate »

The easiest thing for you to do is to go up there and turn the dish round so that it’s pointing in the opposite direction, and keep on doing that until the gets the hint.
span

Post by span »

Is the pole attached to your wall? You don't say.

Pic one seems to be of a dish in an urban setting.
Pic two - you had to open a frosted glass window to be able to see it.
Pic three - you're looking at a brick wall and a roof but you're concerned a dish is spoiling your view?

What is the real issue going on here? What's really bothering you that this dish has become the focus of your ire?
Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate »

span wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm What is the real issue going on here? What's really bothering you that this dish has become the focus of your ire?
It is quite clearly trespassing over the boundary.
john78

Post by john78 »

span wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm Is the pole attached to your wall? You don't say.

Pic three - you're looking at a brick wall and a roof but you're concerned a dish is spoiling your view?

What is the real issue going on here? What's really bothering you that this dish has become the focus of your ire?
Has has the pole in an reverse "L" shape, with the attachment on his garage wall, however the actual pole is up against my wall. If my wall was not there he would not be able to support his pole in that manner.

The actual dish/pole look much more intrusive than the pictures captures.

Even with the frosted glass window(s) shut in the bathroom you can still see the dish/pole, where previously the view was just the sky. It's out of place and obtrusive. Not the view I want to be looking at every morning.

The current location of his dish would prevent me building a double storey extension on top of my garage/shed.

My issue is that his dish should wholly be on his property within his boundary. Just as I would not go and stick my dish on the front of his house and expect it to be okay. He has no right to think it's okay to place his dish how he has.
Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet »

The clear fact that you should concentrate on is that the dish is trespassing upon your air space and therefore it needs to be re-sited to prevent this trespass. Unfortunately it is often a battle to deal with a trespasser by trying to reason with them and my advice is to visit a solicitor experienced in property disputes with a copy of your LR title plan marking where the dish is encroaching upon your air space. Forget about wasting time and money telling the solicitor how it spoils your view etc. the fact is the dish is encroaching and a sharply worded solicitor's letter with the LR plan giving a time period for him to re-site the dish before legal action is taken should get the desired result.

The complication with my advice is that it will cost you some money through no fault of your own and if someone legally qualified can say that all you need to do is to give him a week to remove it and if he doesn't you can cut the overhanging dish down and return it to your neighbour then that would be just and wonderful.

If you have legal insurance with your home insurance it may help with any cost.
Last edited by Morgan Sweet on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
despair

Post by despair »

As the pole is up against your wall ...has it been attached to your wall ?

If thats the case it adds to the demand that he resites the pole and dish completely on his own land
john78

Post by john78 »

despair wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm As the pole is up against your wall ...has it been attached to your wall ?

If thats the case it adds to the demand that he resites the pole and dish completely on his own land
When I first looked, he had it attached to his garage with the pole then running up my wall (see attached diagram). I'll double check again tomorrow to see if he has fixed it to my wall in any way.

Without my wall there, there is no way his pole would be supported.

john78

Post by john78 »

An aerial view showing the boundary line (red parts my garden/front wall) and his dish (pink).

span

Post by span »

Be careful what you wish for. If somehow you do force him to relocate his dish because of airspace trespass or wall attachment, he may choose to place it somewhere even more visually intrusive on you.

I know I would, but I'm spiteful and petty minded like that.
despair

Post by despair »

You could ensure a fast growing climbing plant shoots up and encompasses it ....that will make the point
mugwump

Post by mugwump »

john78 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm
despair wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm As the pole is up against your wall ...has it been attached to your wall ?

When I first looked, he had it attached to his garage with the pole then running up my wall (see attached diagram). I'll double check again tomorrow to see if he has fixed it to my wall in any way.

Are you positive about that? It is probably clamped correctly to his wall and just put in the corner to keep it out of the way
john78

Post by john78 »

mugwump wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:40 pm
john78 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm

Are you positive about that? It is probably clamped correctly to his wall and just put in the corner to keep it out of the way
That may be the case, however with the pole where it is, there is no way he can hang a dish off it (in any position) without the dish trespassing onto my property in some way.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100

Post by MacadamB53 »

john78 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:02 pm
span wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm Is the pole attached to your wall? You don't say.

Has has the pole in an reverse "L" shape, with the attachment on his garage wall, however the actual pole is up against my wall. If my wall was not there he would not be able to support his pole in that manner.

The actual dish/pole look much more intrusive than the pictures captures.

Even with the frosted glass window(s) shut in the bathroom you can still see the dish/pole, where previously the view was just the sky. It's out of place and obtrusive. Not the view I want to be looking at every morning.

The current location of his dish would prevent me building a double storey extension on top of my garage/shed.

My issue is that his dish should wholly be on his property within his boundary. Just as I would not go and stick my dish on the front of his house and expect it to be okay. He has no right to think it's okay to place his dish how he has.
it would be a gross design flaw in the wall mount if, as you seem to be suggesting, it would fail without additional support - or are you not suggesting that really?