Garden made unbearable thanks to trampoline

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

nevermind

Garden made unbearable thanks to trampoline

Post by nevermind »

I am a newcomer to email forums so I am sure to get this wrong!

Our rear neighbours have a very large garden, in which they have the delights of a swimming pool and a trampoline. Despite their garden being about an acre in size, the trampoline is located right next to our fence. Over which the delightful spawn of the devil can see into our garden and our kitchen. The noise is constant and really untolerable and in the summer and at weekends, the noise continues for much of the day and into the evening. Over time they have been asked to move it twice and have done so only to move it back again and infact closer still. Their kids have thrown stones and fruit over and last weekend, the eldest brat told his mum that he could see us and we were watching them. needless to say, we are less than comfortable or pleased with this development and will plant leylandii this weekend. Having seen previous postings on this topic, perhaps I can point out now: I don't agree with the Thatchers children doctrine of " they are just kids" "its my garden I can do what I like" - no you can't, not when other polite decent people have to put up with your anti social behaviour. Anti social kids = anti social adults in time. Is there nothing that a private legal action do to force them to keep the noise down or move the trampoline away from our ( and other people's) fences? can I recover the costs of the legal action from them?
despair

Post by despair »

Planting Leylandi seems about the only sensible thing you can do

Although i agree their behaviour is totally and utterly anti social and inconsiderate in the extreme

I would be inclined to site an incinerator or bonfire down your end and start burning damp smelly wood etc day after day until they get the message too

Make sure your other neighbours know why you have to resort to this because you do not want a complaint from them

Maybe the other neighbours are also upset by the noise and would join you in a complaint to Environmental Health Officer or the ASBO team although i dont know if they would act

At the end of the day the noise etc is preventing you from the PEACABLE enjoyment of your property so maybe you could gain a DIY injunction for £150
thin and crispy

Post by thin and crispy »

Hello nevermind.

I sympathise. You could try contacing your local council's Environmental Health Office and complain of a statutory noise nuisance. Ideally, one would expect them to be able to help, but in practice I think the odds of success are low. As despair says, a complaint from other neighbours might help. However, their complaint should be made independently of yours.

If you go down the legal route, you'll need to gain plenty of evidence first. Video and sound recordings will be useful as will a written log of each incident detailling dates, times and how the noise has disturbed you. Be prepared for failure though, and be very wary (as I'm sure you will be) of videoing children!

I think the best bet would be to plant some screening as you are planning. With regard to the noise, all I can suggest is to mask it with some of your own. Try an ipod + headphones (wheeling out a 400 watt stereo onto your patio might be seen as a little anti-social).

Alternatively, if you want more of a deterrent, you could try a Mosquito Teen Deterrent device which, coincidentally, I have just mentioned on another thread started by "Suzi".
appledore

Post by appledore »

Hi nevermind.

I sympathise too. It's part of the fun of having a trampoline, putting it as close to the neighbour's fence as you can get it. :roll:
They also like an audience, hence the remark from the brat to his mum that you were watching them. I think all you can do is put up some sort of barrier and try to ignore them.
Keep calm and carry on.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Re: Garden made unbearable thanks to trampoline

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG »

nevermind wrote: the eldest brat told his mum that he could see us and we were watching them.
Where do these little sh1ts get this terrible attitude from? It must be the parents, absolute bullies! So many people are as good as being blackmailed by children these days, even teachers. :roll:

Block them out as quickly as possible, if the parents know their children are being a nuisance and not putting a stop to it then they are encouraging anti-social behaviour in them, they don't deserve to have children full stop. :x
subjecttocontract

Post by subjecttocontract »

1. Wait until the adults are somewhere else and the kids are on the trampoline and then squirt the hose at them ' accidentally' of course. When the parents complain deny all knowledge of it. Repeat this exercise numerous times or until said trampoline is moved to an area away from the fence where your hose pipe won't reach.

2. Buy an incinerator or two......not very expensive ....and when wind is blowing in correct direction burn oily or damp items ensuring that smoke travels in the direction of the trampoline.

3. Order a truck load of fresh horse manure......make sure its still staeaming and put it in a pile at the bottom of your garden next to the incinerators ad hose pipe.

4. Fix large speakers at the end of your garden and play Max Bygraves, Barry Manilow and Des O'Conner music EXTREMELY loudly ALL day.

There's a few ideas for starters......I'm sure you can come up with another dozen or so. Its best if you can do all of them at the same time to make trampoline use so painfull that the kids would just prefer to go do something else.
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG »

Now you are talking STC! :lol: All such brilliant ideas. 8)
thin and crispy

subjecttocontract wrote:1. Wait until the adults are somewhere else and the kids are on the trampoline and then squirt the hose at them ' accidentally' of course. When the parents complain deny all knowledge of it. Repeat this exercise numerous times or until said trampoline is moved to an area away from the fence where your hose pipe won't reach.

2. Buy an incinerator or two......not very expensive ....and when wind is blowing in correct direction burn oily or damp items ensuring that smoke travels in the direction of the trampoline.

3. Order a truck load of fresh horse manure......make sure its still staeaming and put it in a pile at the bottom of your garden next to the incinerators ad hose pipe.

4. Fix large speakers at the end of your garden and play Max Bygraves, Barry Manilow and Des O'Conner music EXTREMELY loudly ALL day.

There's a few ideas for starters......I'm sure you can come up with another dozen or so. Its best if you can do all of them at the same time to make trampoline use so painfull that the kids would just prefer to go do something else.
You've excelled yourself there STC!

nevermind: Some more suggestions:
  • * buy one of those cat deterrents that automatically squirts water whenever it detects movement, and then angle it so that it operates just above the fence line;

* urinate in an old fairy liquid bottle. Keep this to hand and squirt the little b*ggers when they poke their heads above the fence; or

* buy a catapult and pelt them with any cat turds you've found lying on your lawn.
Like subjecttocontract, I'm being entirely serious. :wink:

The steaming horse manure's not a bad idea though. However, a word of advice: if you buy a whole truck-load it would also be wise to purchase a barrow, a shovel and a pair thigh-length wellies.
Last edited by thin and crispy on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
suzi

Post by suzi »

despair

Post by despair »

Site compost bins at bottom of the garden and add urine every so often this keeps the bin going hot and all the lovely silage and methane smells
suzi

Post by suzi »

move the trampoline away from our ( and other people's) fences?

our wonderful neighbours have a small garden and a HUGE trampoline wedged in at the bottom end of it.

as far away from their house as possible but 5ft from mine :x
Janner 007

Post by Janner 007 »

despair wrote:I would be inclined to site an incinerator or bonfire down your end and start burning damp smelly wood etc day after day until they get the message too
subjecttocontract wrote:Buy an incinerator or two......not very expensive ....and when wind is blowing in correct direction burn oily or damp items ensuring that smoke travels in the direction of the trampoline.
Good ideas, but I would not want to be served with an Abatement Notice by the Council for causing a Statutory Nuisance if you persist with such action. Although if a single burning ember landed on the trampolin net it would be ruined. :wink:

There are a whole host of suggestions given. Most of which could land you in trouble. However I would suggest talking wiht your neighbours and highlighting that you consider it to be an invasion of privacy. Although there is not much that you can do in this respect.

Playing devils advocate, this would be no different to you and your wife getting up on a pair of stepladders on a nightly basis and watching what goes in your neighbours garden. I am sure that they might have something to say about that, but equally would find it difficult to do anything about it.
Janner 007

Post by Janner 007 »

despair wrote:Site compost bins at bottom of the garden and add urine every so often this keeps the bin going hot and all the lovely silage and methane smells
Methane does not smell, that is why they add mercaptan to give it an odour, in case of a leak. The urine though, that should give an aroma in the current hot weather. :lol:
thin and crispy

Janner 007 wrote:There are a whole host of suggestions given. Most of which could land you in trouble.
Janner, you didn't think any of mine were meant seriously, did you? I'll have to watch what I write on this forum. :shock: :lol:
Janner 007

Post by Janner 007 »

thin and crispy wrote:
Janner 007 wrote:There are a whole host of suggestions given. Most of which could land you in trouble.
Janner, you didn't think any of mine were meant seriously, did you? I'll have to watch what I write on this forum. :shock: :lol:
The king/queen of irony, it may not be self evident for somebody who has not read at least a few of your posts. :wink: