Selfish neighbour parking caravan on grass

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Mike Matthews

Selfish neighbour parking caravan on grass

Post by Mike Matthews »

My neighbour has bought a caravan, which she has parked diagonally across her front lawn in front of her house. Her drive is full, so the only parking she has is the lawn ! Her lawn leads directly onto our drive. As I sit in the living room, all I see is the caravan parked 3 feet from my drive, 10 feet from my house, and it obliterates most of the view from the window seat.

Have I some legal recourse to force her to move the caravan onto her drive? It's an eyesore, and though she says she is waiting for a place to park it, it hasn't moved the whole summer.

Any usefu tips, please !!
andrew54

Post by andrew54 »

I don't think there is anything at all you can do about this. Some people would put up a 2 metre high fence on the boundary, but is that view any better?
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Huh?

A person buys a caravan, parks it legally on their premise (assuming there is no council prohibition on same) and a neighbour complains of a compromised or now non-existent view?

And now you want to FORCE her to move it?

I recognise that you've come to this forum to seek assistance and I apologise for my stand, but I feel you have a nerve wishing to dictate to and force a neighbour to use their property as they please.

Cheers,

Nigel
Life is never what it seems; there is always two sides to every story.
appledore

Post by appledore »

I don't think there's anything you can do to make your neighbours move the caravan, but I wouldn't like to be looking at it either. I know people have to park their cars, caravans etc. somewhere, but it means that front gardens are turned into eyesores.
Keep calm and carry on.
kandy

Post by kandy »

Some local authorities do have controls on this (even unoccupied caravans) and it may be worth asking your local LA what their policy is.
Janner 007

Post by Janner 007 »

Mike,

Check yours and your neighbours Deeds, which can be downloaded from the land registry website, check to see if there is any covenant restricting the parking of a caravan on the front, or other aspect of the premises.
andrew54 wrote:I don't think there is anything at all you can do about this. Some people would put up a 2 metre high fence on the boundary, but is that view any better?
How is this relevant?
andrew54 previously wrote with regard to a person who had a complaint from their neighbour because they parked a transit van on the front of their drive wrote:I do not think the neighbour is being unreasonable.
So a caravan is OK, but a transit is not? How can you make such a comment without knowing the facts?

Mike, check your Deeds, and post back. Ignore the majority of the other comments, it appears that the caravan club are giving advice without being in receipt of the full facts.
andrew54

Post by andrew54 »

Janner 007 wrote:Mike,

Check yours and your neighbours Deeds, which can be downloaded from the land registry website, check to see if there is any covenant restricting the parking of a caravan on the front, or other aspect of the premises.
andrew54 wrote:I don't think there is anything at all you can do about this. Some people would put up a 2 metre high fence on the boundary, but is that view any better?
How is this relevant?
andrew54 previously wrote with regard to a person who had a complaint from their neighbour because they parked a transit van on the front of their drive wrote:I do not think the neighbour is being unreasonable.
So a caravan is OK, but a transit is not? How can you make such a comment without knowing the facts?

Mike, check your Deeds, and post back. Ignore the majority of the other comments, it appears that the caravan club are giving advice without being in receipt of the full facts.
Janner, I did not say a caravan was ok. I thought it relavent to mention a fence, as it is an option and would hide the caravan. Myself I would not like to see a high fence. As for commenting without knowing all the facts (or the 'full' facts) well I guess we all do on here, if we waited for all the facts we would wait a long time!
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Janner 007 wrote:
Ignore the majority of the other comments, it appears that the caravan club are giving advice without being in receipt of the full facts.
I do not know who is collectively included in the 'caravan club' but as andrew54 comments, we can only respond to information contained within a post. As Janner would have noted through the forum, if further information is provided or adduced through subsequent postings the thrust or direction of offerings may well change course in response to that.

Janner's advice to ignore the majority of posts is obviously made upon his/her having the 'full facts'.

cheers,

Nigel
Life is never what it seems; there is always two sides to every story.
Daff

Caravan parking

Post by Daff »

I have a similar problem to Mike.... except that this caravan never, ever moves, and is parked across part of my front lawn.... I am hoping to fence it all off, but need to get planning permission.... Also, this neighbour refuses to move it, feels he has the right to spread himself all over the front with the hose running constantly, when he is cleaning it (he cleans it a lot) and otherwise stroll around my garden as if he owns it... I have taken legal advice, and sought planning permission... but there doesn't seem to be a lot I can do except consider a lengthy court battle... I am just so frustrated!

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Daff
appledore

Post by appledore »

Hi Daff. Why do you need planning permission to erect a fence? Is it because of the height? I think the annoying part about it is that you'd need to apply for planning permission to build something in the front garden, and it would probably be refused, but someone can park a caravan which is an eyesore. Your neighbour does not have the right to wander into your garden when he feels like it.
Keep calm and carry on.
Daff

Post by Daff »

Hi Appledore... thank you for replying... it would seem that my front garden has been acquired as *Open Space* which means that I have to get planning permission... I was told to inform them of my plans as a matter of courtesy... I have another post up regarding that!! As to the height... I am happy to put one of 1metre or less... oh, and a double gate across my drive.. I was told that I would have to put said gate 5.5 metres from the start of my boundary........ that would take me past my driveway and almost through to the Local authority greenspace on the other side of my other fence!

I argued (nicely of course) with this poor lad, but to no avail. There you go... what with legal letters, planning applications etc this little bit of fencing is going to eventually cost me a small mortgage... that is if permission is granted! :roll:

Regards

Daff
appledore

Post by appledore »

I hope you get it sorted out Daff. Your planning department sounds as useless as ours. It's like banging your head off a wall :roll: I'm sure it'll be better when you eventually get your garden fenced off. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
RUHEAP

Re: Selfish neighbour parking caravan on grass

Post by RUHEAP »

fences are fantastic... my neighbour built his all over my garden when i was overseas.....4 years & 6 surveys later 7th coming up...plus thousands in solicitor costs...still not finished.....i stuck my caravan in the undergrowth...but he still complained....still that's his prerogative... rgds to all caravanners... even the young ones whose only choice is to live in one..... ......ruheap
Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman »

I think anyone that wants to keep a caravan on their drive should be allowed to, in fact I think it ought to be compulsory, better that than treacling along the roads choking up the world in general
mr sheen

Post by mr sheen »

'Selfish neighbour' expects his neighbours to use their land in such a way as to ensure that he has a nice view from his window seat.