Hoax, Spam & Chain Email

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Angelisle

Hoax, Spam & Chain Email

Post by Angelisle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 am

If you recently were the recipient of a spam, hoax, or chain email...

How Forwarding Emails can Increase Spam.
A hidden, but non-trivial side effect of forwarding emails is that your email address is likely to be forwarded along with it and will probably end up in a large number of email in-boxes in diverse regions of the planet.

Sooner or later, it is possible, this email address will cross the in-box of the friendly neighbourhood spammer...For them, the dozens of valid addresses that such emails have collected upon their journey through cyberspace is an enticing bonus.

As a courtesy and before you click and send more, use the Blind Carbon Copy facility and make sure to remove any existing email addresses from the headers before forwarding the email.

You could also include a polite note at the top of the email asking that recipients "Help Stop Spam: Please remove email addresses before forwarding". This could be effective, as it would perhaps help to remind and educate people about the issue.
Congratulations to the misguided actions of one person (99% proof) from this forum (no name and shame) you have helped the spammers make potential big bucks. My email address along with 50+ others only further proliferates the spam/hoax and lines the pockets of those who monetarily trade in active email lists. Hardly rocket science to + the maths?

Suffice to say you really should have googled first and you would have quite easily determined this to be a hoax which is being circulated around the world and here is a link: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/car-jacking-warning.html

despair

Post by despair » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 am

Anyone with any sense at all always fwds E Mails / funnies etc using Undisclosed recipients

It really makes me mad to receive stuff that people refuse to clean up and remove E Mail addresses or send it out using undisclosed recipients

If you belong to various Yahoo groups its wise to set up and use a separate address for that purpose only

Angelisle

Post by Angelisle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:27 pm

despair:
Anyone with any sense at all always fwds E Mails / funnies etc using Undisclosed recipients
The best is yet to come, the misguided or lazy man :x had already pressed FWD three times!!! and each one contained an entire address list of contacts. :roll:

The buck stops here as I forwarded it to spam. :wink:

despair

Post by despair » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:12 pm

only 3 times

I often receive stuff thats been FWD 6 times without cleaning it up !!!