For despair

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

arborlad

For despair

Post by arborlad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:02 pm

In the absence of something more effective from admin., the best response to spam is - no response.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

despair

Post by despair » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Maybe a few others need to offer to be moderators so that Spam/ advertising posts can easily be deleted

Emulated

Post by Emulated » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:58 pm

I believe its best to ignore spam, and the links supplied. Thats why they post in here, to get noticed. With most forums the moderators are paid peanuts if anything and I find it unjust to maon about the moderator here. With the traffic on here its not going to be a full time job. The site is run by paid for advertising and its not cheap to set up and maintain the hardware. As with other forums I have known, if it becomes to chaotic they simply close it down.

Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Emulated wrote:I believe its best to ignore spam, and the links supplied. Thats why they post in here, to get noticed. With most forums the moderators are paid peanuts if anything and I find it unjust to maon about the moderator here. With the traffic on here its not going to be a full time job. The site is run by paid for advertising and its not cheap to set up and maintain the hardware. As with other forums I have known, if it becomes to chaotic they simply close it down.
Errrr ,,,,,what hardware do you have to set up and maintain?
All you need is a hosting plan on a server with PHP back end. The PHP script is FREE
No hardware, no setup, no maintenance

Emulated

Post by Emulated » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 pm

My son runs a website, it costs him nothing for the hardware but he pays £150 a year plus a bill every month depending on the number of visitors to the site. As he doesent want advertising he gets no income that way but has two moderators who are members who work for free.
With his site he gets very little spam and it gets ignored until it gets removed. Maybe we should do the same here instead of making a fuss.

gardenlaw
Site Admin
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by gardenlaw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:57 am

We are as anxious as anyone to keep Garden Law clear of spam. If you find spam, we would be grateful if you could please report it to admin@gardenlaw.co.uk. Spam is always removed when reported.

With our thanks!

circuitshare

Post by circuitshare » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:30 pm

despair wrote:Maybe a few others need to offer to be moderators so that Spam/ advertising posts can easily be deleted
There have been offers of help, offers to help improve the forum so that it can be more spam free.

Many members have posted complaining about spam recently because it is ever increasing, others have posted links to youtube monty python songs to lighten the issue.

And what do admin do - they ban mattylad - no warning - no email explaining why - just banned.

Despite there being no rule that says you cannot mention the spam or the lack of action to combat it.

Is it a crime to be critical of a site admin now?

Given the amount of bitching & arguing that goes on, on this forum (as with others) it is absolutely pathetic that Mattylad has been banned for something as simple as criticizing admin for lack of action.

Read this quick because I too expect to be banned very shortly.

Seems the site IS going downhill.

Mattylad

Post by Mattylad » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Weird.

When I first visited here I was told I am banned.

Whats going on?
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.

Emulated

Post by Emulated » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm

I never considered the spam was bad enough to complain about it. I usualy simply ignore it. Whilst I can see Mattylads point of view I failed to understand why he kept on and on. Information requested by others was still responded too and I found the infighting to be more of a let down of the forums. Mattylad and Admin are much like a boundary dispute, perhaps meditation will help. :wink:
circuitshare wrote:
despair wrote:Maybe a few others need to offer to be moderators so that Spam/ advertising posts can easily be deleted
There have been offers of help, offers to help improve the forum so that it can be more spam free.

Many members have posted complaining about spam recently because it is ever increasing, others have posted links to youtube monty python songs to lighten the issue.

And what do admin do - they ban mattylad - no warning - no email explaining why - just banned.

Despite there being no rule that says you cannot mention the spam or the lack of action to combat it.

Given the amount of bitching & arguing that goes on, on this forum (as with others) it is absolutely pathetic that Mattylad has been banned for something as simple as criticizing admin for lack of action.

Angelisle

Post by Angelisle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:04 pm

circuitshare wrote: There have been offers of help, offers to help improve the forum so that it can be more spam free.

When I attempted to sign in earlier I was banned too.

This was just a blip from forum gremlins and didn't require old/new user sign-ups to highlight what was clearly just a temporary problem.

appledore

Post by appledore » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:09 pm

I was banned too. You had me worried. :lol:

Angelisle

Post by Angelisle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:16 pm

appledore wrote:I was banned too. You had me worried. :lol:
:)

kipper

Post by kipper » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:28 am

Emulated wrote:I never considered the spam was bad enough to complain about it. I usualy simply ignore it. Whilst I can see Mattylads point of view I failed to understand why he kept on and on.
I appreciate what you are saying, it is easy to ignore the spam posts, but when their spam posts bring up old threads the regular posters have mistakenly been wasting time reading and responding when time would have been better spent responding to new problems.

Fortunately admin have now acknowledged the issue.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:05 am

I'm banned every time I sign out. :lol: Yet here I am!

gardenlaw
Site Admin

Post by gardenlaw » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:30 am

A number of IP addresses have been banned. We only ban them when they are fixed not temporary. It could be that if you are on a temporary Ip that you get a IP address which is banned. Let us know if you continue to have problems. Personally we think it was a blip. Even we were banned from our own system for a second or two! We just logged in again and it was ok.