For despair

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

arborlad

Re: For despair

Post by arborlad » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 pm

easily.confused wrote:
arborlad wrote:Yes, I'm well aware of her dubious status as a Mod
I think she's been one for yonks,
Yes, at least a couple of years!!

doesn't seem to have done to much damage so far?
Hmm, I suppose if you discount replying to spam posts as if they are normal posts, or replying to an ordinary post as if it was spam, and seriously upsetting the OP in the process, no damage really :roll:

On a technical note, is there any human involvement in the reporting and removal of a spam post?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

easily.confused

Post by easily.confused » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:42 pm

arborlad wrote:no damage really
More amusing than damageing, then again, anybody could do that, Mod or not.
arborlad wrote:is there any human involvement in the reporting
On the basis your human, probably.

victor508

Post by victor508 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:39 pm

New system seems to be working, i clicked on one item and was confronted by explicit p*rn , before i could notify admin it was gone.
Is there any way of stopping it coming in altogether, if my wife had walked in when i logged in i would be doing a lot of explaining.

Victor.

despair

Post by despair » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:50 pm

I am in process of asking just that

I immediately registered it anyway and Angelisle says both she and i can delete them ..........have yet to find out how though

But i totally agree it might have got you in bother had your wife walked in although the subject title rather gives it away that its not Gardenlaw related

easily.confused

Post by easily.confused » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:04 pm

despair wrote:and i can delete them
OK arborlad, I take it all back.

Angelisle

Post by Angelisle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:55 pm

victor508 wrote:New system seems to be working, i clicked on one item and was confronted by explicit p*rn , before i could notify admin it was gone.
Is there any way of stopping it coming in altogether, if my wife had walked in when i logged in i would be doing a lot of explaining.

Victor.
As it was posted early this morning, only a few people viewed the topic before I deleted it.
despair wrote:Angelisle says both she and i can delete them ..........have yet to find out how though
I'll set you up a crash course :idea: to explain how you do it :wink:

victor508

Post by victor508 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:16 am

Angelise said:
As it was posted early this morning, only a few people viewed the topic before I deleted it.

I saw it at 9.30pm so that is over 12 hrs , has the new system created this problem , it is worrying that this sort of thing can invade this site.

petal

Post by petal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:30 am

To be honesst Victor, I don't think it was on there much more than an hour.

I noticed it within a few minutes of it appearing, and reported it straight away. It was gone within an hour. It only had about 15 views, and 5 of those were mine, looking for the report button, which at first I didn't realise only appeared when you were logged in.

As obviously it takes a manual intervention to delete it, unless someone is monitoring the site and reports 24/7, I guess it would be difficult to do much better.

I notice the site is now being very actively trawled by various search engines, I don't know if that has given it much wider exposure, and left it more vulnerable than before.

Pretty grusome all the same. You were lucky though Mrs. Petal was sitting next to me on the sofa at the time.

Cheers

despair

Post by despair » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Good job Mrs Petal is broadminded then !!

Oh the penalty of sitting on the sofa with a laptop !

petal

Post by petal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:28 pm

despair wrote:Oh the penalty of sitting on the sofa with a laptop !
'There's nothing on the telly'

Or perhaps it's the penalty of being self employed and working from home.

Angelisle

Re: For Victor508 & Petal

Post by Angelisle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:45 pm

victor508 wrote:Angelise said:

I saw it at 9.30pm so that is over 12 hrs , has the new system created this problem , it is worrying that this sort of thing can invade this site.
@ Victor508. According to the forum server logs the 'person' did not register for an account until Thursday 28th Oct. I deleted the post on Thursday 28th, at 7:24 am. I also captured the offensive post and the time give or take a few minutes is verified via my PC.

I fail to see how you could have viewed the 'offensive post' for 12hrs not least at 9.30pm :?
petal wrote:To be honesst Victor, I don't think it was on there much more than an hour.

I noticed it within a few minutes of it appearing, and reported it straight away. It was gone within an hour. It only had about 15 views, and 5 of those were mine, looking for the report button, which at first I didn't realise only appeared when you were logged in.

As obviously it takes a manual intervention to delete it, unless someone is monitoring the site and reports 24/7, I guess it would be difficult to do much better.

I notice the site is now being very actively trawled by various search engines, I don't know if that has given it much wider exposure, and left it more vulnerable than before.
@ Petal Thanks for the confirmation, I viewed it thrice :oops: As you say it does require more 'manual intervention' the new forum board IMHO is more exposed to this sort of abuse than before. :|

gardenlaw
Site Admin
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by gardenlaw » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Apologies for the flood of spam which hit garden law as SOON as the new site was launched and thankyou to everyone who reported it. We completed the update late on Wednesday night and by Thursday morning there had been about 60 automatic registrations and horrific p**n etc on the site.

We checked the board settings and found that the captcha (the graphics you see on registration) were not automatically switched on. (This certainly helps towards preventing automatic registrations). So that was easily corrected and then Thursday was spent putting additional anti spam measures in place (it all takes time!). The old board had both of these too but as we all know it doesn't stop manual spamming.

Judging by the new registrations there haven't (so far fingers crossed) been any further automatic registrations. We will still need to remain alert for the manual spammers and also for the new registrations which haven't yet activated their accounts. I am tempted to delete all of them but that may mean we delete some innocent person's account.

Members being able to report spam from the post is a great boon for us as administrators and it should help us to keep garden law for what it is intended.

Many thanks everyone! :P

victor508

Post by victor508 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Angelise said:
I fail to see how you could have viewed the 'offensive post' for 12hrs not least at 9.30pm :?

I you read your post and mine you said you zapped it at 7.24 am ,i logged in to it at 9.30 pm , that is actually 14 hrs.
What i said was between your seeing it and me seeing it 12 hours had past , i did not say i viewed it for 12 hours , 2 seconds was enough thank you very much , i tried to find the complaint button , gave up and logged out of it.

Are you actually saying i did not see it at 9.30pm ?.

Victor.

Mattylad
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by Mattylad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:27 pm

gardenlaw wrote:there had been ..... horrific p**n etc on the site.
Awwwww!

What have I missed?
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.

Angelisle

Post by Angelisle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:07 pm

victor508 wrote:Are you actually saying i did not see it at 9.30pm ?.

Victor.
@ Victor508

There appears to be some confusion over which offensive post it was, whether AM or PM.

The topic I deleted at 7:24 AM 28th October: the 'person' registered at 12.02 AM on Thursday 28th October and created an offensive topic at 12.07 AM. I visited the forum at 7.15 AM and deleted the topic at 7:24 AM.

As I was out last night (28th) I can see from the forum logs someone else deleted the 9.30 PM topic you refer to. :|