PARK YOUR CARAVAN IN YOUR GARDEN

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

RUHEAP

PARK YOUR CARAVAN IN YOUR GARDEN

Post by RUHEAP »

hope this new topic is in line with the rules. the surrey heath council in camberley.have ordered me to remove my little touring caravan from my 3 acre garden... it is totally hidden... have appealed... many people in my ,town park caravans in their drives... thus a public enquiry at the council offices on the 9th august...,am advised it will last one day !!!. it has cost me £1500 so far in solicitors fees to represent me..(my caravan cost £850).... a representative from the government has to travel from bristol.. taking a day & all the costs....pls express your opinion.rgds ruheap.
FrTed

Re: PARK YOUR CARAVAN IN YOUR GARDEN

Post by FrTed »

I can not comment for Surrey, but have a look on their planning portal website - often that is one of their FAQ's.

In terms of where I live local residents are permitted to park one caravan only on their driveway or hardstanding, but not on their garden - if the garden is "gravelled" it becomes a hardstanding and is permitted, if left as a lawn it is not.
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
w3526602

Post by w3526602 »

Hi,

How long have you be parking your caravan in your garden? If more than 10 years, they can't tell you to stop. I'm not sure about the 4 year rule, unless you laid a special caravan parking "lawn". ( I grew this grass specially for the occasion! :D ) However, if somebody had been living in the caravan for four years .......

602 (That was my "last three")
mr sheen

Post by mr sheen »

Duhhh!!!!! Why would someone spend £1500 on a caravan worth less than that?

Check the rules for parking of caravans and follow them or slightly bend them but throwing money towards a flaunt of the rules is a pointless waste of yours and taxpayers money.

If it is allowed to park on drive, one can't argue if people do that, if it is against the rules to park on garden - park on drive.
RUHEAP

Post by RUHEAP »

FrTed wrote:I can not comment for Surrey, but have a look on their planning portal website - often that is one of their FAQ's.

In terms of where I live local residents are permitted to park one caravan only on their driveway or hardstanding, but not on their garden - if the garden is "gravelled" it becomes a hardstanding and is permitted, if left as a lawn it is not.

pls excuse any errors am new to this...a caravan has been on site since 1945,,,acted as a spare bedroom as bombed out..
my neighbour who has fly tipped on my garden for 11 years complained to the council...that's why the problem...he says a caravan has not been there for 10 years..the one there now is the 4th generation one..i have affidavits from the daughter & son of the parents who obtained the original one for them and so forth....the other hardboard ones gradually rotted away..the latest is metal.. i did check with the council before the complaint...the council allows one to park on ones drive..no problem.. re the solicitors cost... it started at £350 then a bit more and so on...latest cost for solicitor to be at the public inquiry another £350..fyi my drive is over 250 feet long plus another 750 feet of prepared track..this is to collect fly tipping dumped over the rear of my garden... tnx for the gen...ruheap
RUHEAP

Post by RUHEAP »

i made a boob have attached my reply to one who replied sorry.. this is of course a reply..anyway will know what will be decided on the 9th.. fyi the affidavits produced are two in each one..proof the caravan has been there yonks..and in the same letter the affidavit also confirms 11 years of fly tipping.......my solicitor says he hope the media will be present at the publc enquiry. pointing out the farce of the caravan parking... and also the seriousness of fly tipping...which the council are fully aware of...Cheers to all the readers. ruheap..and matty who will rap my knuckles i expect. cheers matty..
w3526602

Post by w3526602 »

Hi,

There is (was) something somewhere in the Act, that says if you have USED somewhere for 10 years (continuously), then the council do not have the power to tell you to stop using it.

Also in the Act, but for longer, is (was) the statement that if you built something and it remained there for 4 years, then the council do not have the power to tell you to knock it down.

And yet again, if you live in a building for 4 years (continuously ?) the council do (did) not have the power to tell you to stop (on planning grounds). The difficult bit is keeping it a secret for 4 years, then proving that you were there all along. Does anyone want to rent my outside toilet? :D

I only know of one example of this .... a pony trekking centre had PP for seasonal occupation of a dormitory block. The council realised it was being occupied, by non-riders, during the Winter, so they tried to stop this occupation. It was reported in the local rag that the council accepted that they could no longer stop this occupation, as if had happened for too many years. No doubt the trekking centre had "accounts" to prove this.

No doubt an "Elder of the Forum" will be along to confirm this, tell you where to find it in the Act, and hopefully tell you how to claim your costs. Alternatively, they might just shoot me down. :o

602 (That was my "last three")
Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope »

http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/doineed.htm

says you have deemed pp to park a caravan within your domestic cutillage as long as it is not separately inhabited, is used only as an annexe to the house, and remains moveable.
Just move it a bit and they will have to start all over again.
despair

Post by despair »

"just move it a bit and they will have to start all over again ""

Sounds like a good move to me
RUHEAP

Post by RUHEAP »

I did move it sometimes..the snag is i cannot move it noe as it is surrounded by Fly tipping from my neighbour.
despair

Post by despair »

Do you have Ariel photos proving a caravan has been on site for over 10 years

try your local library PDQ
jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz »

I posted this on another discussion, today, but it should apply to you too.

Daily Telegraph. Page 5. Saturday August 6th
DIVINE VICTORY OVER PLANNING LAWS.
A Christian minister who built a church without planning permission has praised God after an oversight by the council means it will stay.
Pastor Paul Knights, a tree surgeo, built the Nount Olives Ministries church in Devon in 2000 without planning permission. In June, he said: “The Lord spoke to me on the mini-digger and said he wanted me to build this church.”
Mr Knights, 57, obtained temporary planning permission for a mobile home and continued living on the site after those permissions lapsed more than four years ago.
Teighbridge district council earlier this year realised it had missed a four year deadline to issue enforcement notices meaning Mr Knights automatically won planning permission. The parish council objected but this week Mr Knights won the right to stay.
He said : “Praise the Lord.”