Yet Again .... Footballs

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

juliet

Re: Yet Again .... Footballs

Post by juliet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:02 pm

I work in social housing and so my view is always a bit skewed but I see the most horrendous things going on the world. This is just a 10 year old kid kicking a football into the garden. There are worse things that a 10 year old could do. I know that it is probably doing your head in but I agree with some of the posters that the best thing all round is to ignore it. Just leave the balls there and chuck back over when you feel like it. Don't focus on it.

I think we sometimes need to take a step back and think what is happening when compared to what else goes on the world. I think that changing your own attitude can sometimes work better. It helps you sleep better as well. I think life is hard for young families with the recession and modern day pressures that weren't there before. A think that a bit of tolerance and compassion will undoubtedly work better for you all. Try not to see the kid so negatively as most kids are usually great when you start to get to know them. Even the ones that I meet everyday :lol:

On here a while ago, and I can't remember who that was, but they said that you have to watch out for the real nasties in the world like cancer and strokes. I suppose that is what I am trying to say to the OP.

despair

Post by despair » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Juliet

The problem with working in social housing is the difficulty in seeing the effects of the behaviour of some social housing tenants and undisciplined kids from all sides of society on those who have worked hard to buy their own homes and simply want a bit of peace and quiet without footballs flying overhead

I agree the effects of cancer and strokes etc are serious and that families are struggling in current economic climate but theres plenty of elderly who are struggling a darn site more to cope with all the price increases of recent years and dwindling returns on what savings they might have scrimped to accumulate

The OP has a broken wrist ............that takes some coping with i can tell you

juliet

Post by juliet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I maybe didn't word what I wanted to say very well. I just think that we can let things get to us too much when it isn't as bad as you think it is. By changing your own attitude to it, it helps you cope better. I am still on the side of giving the family some compassion but I also have empathy for the OP.

A very good friend of mine always says 'Misery is optional' and at first I never quite got that but over the years I know more and more what that means.

hzatph

Post by hzatph » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 pm

despair wrote:The problem with working in social housing is the difficulty in seeing ...
despair, this is outrageous. How dare you make such sweeping statements.

starryfish

Post by starryfish » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Absolutely right, misery is optional. The children next door and there parents have the option to stop it.

I have a lot of sympathy for the OP, balls in the the garden is bad enough, but believe me when you live next door to a bored kid kicking a football against a wooden fence day after day, it can really drive you round the twist, I know, I suffer it.

When you are the victim, it really can seem as if your problems are as big as those in the rest of the world. I think it is a little insensitive to say there are others worse of and you could/should change your attitude.

Hey, just my opinion.

juliet

Post by juliet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Well I think that people come on here for opinions as much as they come on here for law and I am sure that most are very welcome. That is what adds to the richness of a forum like this, even though there is a bit of turmoil at the moment. If it was my Dad (I picked up that it was an older person than me) I would be encouraging him to think differently about it.

I totally agree that we should all be good neighbours, behave well and do the right thing. But I think that kindness, compassion (at the risk of repeating myself :) ) and trying to understand and show empathy for others will get you into the position that you are aiming for (and in a more positive light) than falling out with your neighbours, sendng nasty letters etc. That is bad for your health.

And I totally get that some people are unable to think differently and therefore misery becomes your way of life. I just then feel bad for those people. I always have a stab at making people feel better :) There was no insult intended to the OP. Just hope that I could give some valuable advice.

despair

Post by despair » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 pm

dead right starryfish

juliet

Post by juliet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:03 pm

I think that this is one of the problems for me on this site.

I always try to give a good and reasonable answer to the OP and never (or at least not to my knowledge) ever criticise other opinions. I know that my heart is always in the right place. I am not getting at Starryfish because he makes it clear in the way that he/she writes that it is an opinion and isn't - when taken at face value - meant to be insulting.

But your last comment Despair is the kind of thing that just winds people up and it takes a lot to wind me up. You are out of order here. I used to feel bad for you and always tried to defend you. You never deserved me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mojisola

Post by Mojisola » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:34 pm

If an issue gets under your skin, its importance can become exaggerated in your life. I don't mean that the thing isn't really annoying but that we get "tuned in" to expecting it, noticing it as soon as it happens and perhaps over-reacting when it does.

If you can step back from it and reduce your heightened sensitivity to the subject, the irritation can be reduced. As well as taking practical action, it's worth stepping back from it if you can.

appledore

Post by appledore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25 pm

juliet wrote:I
I think we sometimes need to take a step back and think what is happening when compared to what else goes on the world.
I agree with you Juliet that there are much worse things going on in the world than a kid kicking a football, but most people are more concerned with what is going on in their world, and by that I mean the environment in which they live. Surely it's not too much to ask that the OP doesn't have to put up with someone kicking a football against the fence for hours on end, and being pestered with balls coming over the fence.

It really grinds you down, especially when the parents think their children can do wrong and won't do anything about it
Keep calm and carry on.

despair

Post by despair » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Appledore you are 100% correct