Sun Room with Roof Used as a Viewing Deck?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Baton68

Sun Room with Roof Used as a Viewing Deck?

Post by Baton68 »

Good evening,

my neighbour can't just build a standard sun room, he has to build one 3 metres high with a viewing deck looking directly into our living room around 12 to 15 metres away. The land is 0.5 metre higher than ours, so quite overbearing, can anybody please tell me the options open to us, as this man is a serial developer, and nothing is simple with him.

We have a 5 foot dry-stone wall between us, but if they sit on the viewing area, they see right in as we have 5 foot tall windows, 1 foot from ground level and to ceiling.

Thank you for any advice.
despair

Re: Sun Room with Roof Used as a Viewing Deck?

Post by despair »

Did he get planning permision for this

A good row of leylandi would seem appropriate in your situation

Or lots of sky rocket conifers interspersed by a tall bamboo
COGGY
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by COGGY »

Were you notified by the local council of the neighbour's planning application? If so did you inspect the plans and make objection to them?
arsie

Post by arsie »

Agree with Coggy, this sun room and balcony surely had to have planning permission? Weren't you consulted?
kipper

Post by kipper »

As the previous 2 posts but, if all else fails, can you grow a hedge?
Baton68

Post by Baton68 »

Thank you for your advice. I need to update the some words, Sun Room --> detached wooden Summer House, sorry.

Apparently the construction can have an height of 2.5 metres to the eaves and 3 metres to sloped roof ending, so no need for planning permission.

Thank you and sorry again for the inaccurate information.
COGGY

Post by COGGY »

You could grow tall trees to hide it,or apply for planning permission for a very high fence, giving the overlooking as your reason. Do the neighbours actually sit overlooking you? I fully understand your upset at this but if they are actually sitting looking at you this is really bad and I would be tempted to retaliate. You could put wind chimes, mirrors to reflect the sun onto them. However do not try to escalate it if they are not deliberately annoying you.
Mojisola

Post by Mojisola »

Mark1968 wrote:Thank you for your advice. I need to update the some words, Sun Room --> detached wooden Summer House, sorry.

Apparently the construction can have an height of 2.5 metres to the eaves and 3 metres to sloped roof ending, so no need for planning permission.
I think those rules are set for the building itself. If he is going to be using the roof as a sitting area, that's expanding its use from a single storey building. Have you checked with the planning office?
Baton68

Post by Baton68 »

pinkie wrote:
Mojisola wrote:
Mark1968 wrote:Thank you for your advice. I need to update the some words, Sun Room --> detached wooden Summer House, sorry.

I think those rules are set for the building itself. If he is going to be using the roof as a sitting area, that's expanding its use from a single storey building. Have you checked with the planning office?
I wonder perhaps if the term 'viewing deck' is being used with a degree of poetic licence as was 'sun room' in the first post. Is this possibly just a summerhouse with a verandah at ground level? In which case, screening would appear to be the only option if the structure complies with permitted development regulations.
Hi,

no the viewing deck is on top of the summer house, I never have had poetic licence :D

The extra high fence could well be a relevant solution with the Council, with sky-rocket support, a real sounding military operation. They do not annoy on purpose, it's entirely natural. He can't build sympathetically, it's always extreme to extreme, every millimetre built upon that he can get away with, a house on steroids. Can't build a nice standard summer house in-keeping with size of plot, has be maximum dimensions and height and squashed into it's site.

Planning are now aware of this structure and are keeping an eye on things...

Thank you again.
COGGY

Post by COGGY »

You could plant something quick growing. We have bamboo for privacy and it is really good. You need to choose the correct bamboo and contain the roots. If you water it every day it shoots up almost as you watch. We also have portugese(sp) for privacy. That grows fast if kept well watered. The roots of that do not spread.
appledore

Post by appledore »

Mark1968 wrote:
pinkie wrote:[
, it's always extreme to extreme, every millimetre built upon that he can get away with, a house on steroids. Can't build a nice standard summer house in-keeping with size of plot, has be maximum dimensions and height and squashed into it's site.

We have a neighbour like that. His house is crammed on a very small plot, and he has delusions of grandeur. He has a balcony that overlooks part of our garden. The rest of his plot is crammed with sheds, hen huts, polytunnels ......... it looks an absolute mess. We planted lots of trees, and his view is completely blocked now. We can ignore him. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
COGGY

Post by COGGY »

Yes, if the neighbour has been deliberately annoying it is absolutely wonderful to grow stuff to block their view. To walk in your garden without being overlooked is absolutely wonderful. We used to take being in the garden for granted but now it is really enjoyable. After having the neighbour shout insults at us and laughing at us, we now appreciate our privacy soooo much. Apparently the neighbours are not so happy, but that is their problem. We spent over 20 years allowing them access and being neighbourly. Most (not all) problems can be solved with thought.