Burglar tactic?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

MacadamB53
Posts: 6606
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 pm
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by MacadamB53 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi Rosenberg,

I am quite happy to argue about what I have actually said

I've no idea what you've said.
I know what you've written though.

Mischievous regards, Mac ;)

Treeman
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:02 am
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Treeman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Rosenberg wrote:OR...

It could just be a couple of blokes trying to earn a crust from doing odd jobs. There are plenty of people unable to find work at the moment. And asking you the time is hardly a criminal offence. Maybe the bloke couldn't afford a watch.

From what you have said, reporting it to the police seems to be the kind of overreaction worthy of a Daily Mail reader.

When you say these men were "shady" looking characters what did you mean? Asian?

Door knocking touting for work is a cover used by scrotes.

They were in a van, it would have to be 20 years old not to have a clock in it

Its not over reaction, its prudent behaviour.

You keep your rose tinted glasses and we will keep the door knockers at arms length.

Rosenberg
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Rosenberg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Mac: Surely you're not one of the "pedantic" posters that violetqueen was talking about, are you? As a matter of fact, I am happy that "said" is okay in this case.
Treeman wrote:Touting for work is a cover used by scrotes.
My friend is tall. My friend has blue eyes. Therefore all tall people have blue eyes.

Treeman: I am surprised. I would have given you credit for more self reliance. Or is it just a tradesman's dislike of those who might undercut him? There's nothing rose-tinted about me - I just prefer to deal with matters like that myself than to rely on the police, who might or might not respond appropriately.

BTW, what's a "scrote"?
Last edited by Rosenberg on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arborlad
Posts: 8303
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by arborlad » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Treeman wrote:
Rosenberg wrote:OR...

It could just be a couple of blokes trying to earn a crust from doing odd jobs. There are plenty of people unable to find work at the moment. And asking you the time is hardly a criminal offence. Maybe the bloke couldn't afford a watch.

From what you have said, reporting it to the police seems to be the kind of overreaction worthy of a Daily Mail reader.

When you say these men were "shady" looking characters what did you mean? Asian?

Door knocking touting for work is a cover used by scrotes.

They were in a van, it would have to be 20 years old not to have a clock in it

Its not over reaction, its prudent behaviour.

You keep your rose tinted glasses and we will keep the door knockers at arms length.
+1
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Rosenberg
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Rosenberg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Yes, it must be a tradesman's dislike of those who might undercut him.

MacadamB53
Posts: 6606
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 pm
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by MacadamB53 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Rosenberg,

Mac: Surely you're not one of the "pedantic" posters that violetqueen was talking about, are you? As a matter of fact, I am happy that "said" is okay in this case.

I do hope you realise what I said was a joke ;)

Kind regards, Mac

Rosenberg
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Rosenberg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Yes, I do Mac. I don't take things too seriously on this forum (unlike a few others I could mention).

arborlad
Posts: 8303
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by arborlad » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Over the last 7 years, you have had a lot of help, from a lot of people, with all the problems you have experienced and yet you have the effrontery to make comments like this:
Rosenberg wrote: Misrepresenation of posts seems to be a nasty habit on this forum.
Shame on you.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Rosenberg
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Rosenberg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:22 pm

arborlad wrote:Over the last 7 years, you have had a lot of help, from a lot of people, with all the problems you have experienced and yet you have the effrontery to make comments like this:
Rosenberg wrote: Misrepresenation of posts seems to be a nasty habit on this forum.
Shame on you.
My comment obviously wasn't directed at the people who have been helpful, arborlad. It is a bit silly to insinuate that. Indeed, that fact would certainly have been clear to you if you had bothered to read the "7 year" history of posts to which you refer. As you have seen fit to raise an accusation of hipocrisy on such a spurious and shaky basis, I can only conclude that your statement is a further attempt to deliberately misrepresent my posting history (which is yet another silly thing to do because my posting history is there for anyone to read).

In fact, my comment about misrepresentation was directed at the minority of more vocal posters who seem to have agendas that are far removed from mere helpfulness. If a poster's agenda includes self-aggrandisment at the expense of others, misrepresentation is a very useful tool - and they know it.

What's your agenda, arborlad?
Last edited by Rosenberg on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosenberg
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Rosenberg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:44 pm

nothingtodowithme wrote:Hi Rosenberg

Scrote
N. Brit informal meaning; A contemptible person.
Originates from the 1970s: from scrotum.
From the concise oxford dictionary.
Hello nothingtodowithme. Sorry for not replying before - I missed your post as I scanned through. Thanks for the clarification. I had only come across "scrote" in the 1970s sitcom "Porridge" and I wasn't sure whether, or not, it was short for scrotum. It seems to be a strange choice for a derogatory term, as scrota serve such a useful and, at times, pleasurable purpose.

Treeman
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:02 am
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Treeman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Rosenberg wrote:Mac: Surely you're not one of the "pedantic" posters that violetqueen was talking about, are you? As a matter of fact, I am happy that "said" is okay in this case.
Treeman wrote:Touting for work is a cover used by scrotes.
My friend is tall. My friend has blue eyes. Therefore all tall people have blue eyes.

Treeman: I am surprised. I would have given you credit for more self reliance. Or is it just a tradesman's dislike of those who might undercut him? There's nothing rose-tinted about me - I just prefer to deal with matters like that myself than to rely on the police, who might or might not respond appropriately.

BTW, what's a "scrote"?

Its short for scrotum and is used to describe a person of low morals, the kind of person who goes about looking for opportunities to steal on the pretence of looking for work

I have no fear of these people as competition because they don't compete or undercut, they simpy pretend to be about legitimate business while looking for opportunities to steal.

You need to get out more.

Rosenberg
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Rosenberg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:33 pm

Treeman wrote:
Rosenberg wrote:Mac: Surely you're not one of the "pedantic" posters that violetqueen was talking about, are you? As a matter of fact, I am happy that "said" is okay in this case.
Treeman wrote:Touting for work is a cover used by scrotes.
My friend is tall. My friend has blue eyes. Therefore all tall people have blue eyes.

Treeman: I am surprised. I would have given you credit for more self reliance. Or is it just a tradesman's dislike of those who might undercut him? There's nothing rose-tinted about me - I just prefer to deal with matters like that myself than to rely on the police, who might or might not respond appropriately.

BTW, what's a "scrote"?

Its short for scrotum and is used to describe a person of low morals, the kind of person who goes about looking for opportunities to steal on the pretence of looking for work

I have no fear of these people as competition because they don't compete or undercut, they simpy pretend to be about legitimate business while looking for opportunities to steal.
You seem to have passed judgement on these two individuals on the basis of almost no evidence, Treeman.
Treeman wrote:You need to get out more.
Why do you say that? I am a naturist; I already spend plenty of time outdoors.

arborlad
Posts: 8303
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by arborlad » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:02 pm

Rosenberg wrote:
Treeman wrote:You need to get out more.
Why do you say that? I am a naturist; I already spend plenty of time outdoors.

The world and its mother know what Treeman means..............and yet you chose to misinterpret.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

MacadamB53
Posts: 6606
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 pm
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by MacadamB53 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi Rosenberg,

I have no fear of these people as competition because they don't compete or undercut, they simpy pretend to be about legitimate business while looking for opportunities to steal.

these people = 'scrotes' (not the two door knockers)

You need to get out more.
Why do you say that? I am a naturist; I already spend plenty of time outdoors.


My friend is a naturist. My friend spends plenty of time outdoors... (plenty of naturists are not social naturists)

Playful regards, Mac

Rosenberg
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Burglar tactic?

Post by Rosenberg » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:30 am

arborlad wrote:
Rosenberg wrote:
Treeman wrote:You need to get out more.
Why do you say that? I am a naturist; I already spend plenty of time outdoors.

The world and its mother know what Treeman means..............and yet you chose to misinterpret.
No, I didn't choose to misinterpret. I still don't know why Treeman said that, other than perhaps, a desire to make a vaguely insulting and slightly inflamatory comment.
Last edited by Rosenberg on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply