tomorrow..

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

layman

tomorrow..

Post by layman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:32 pm

I have a meeting with local planning dept, an open surgery arrangement, to have an informal chat about our plan to build a two storey side extension on our house in AONB, and which had a rear extension of 40% under pp 12 years ago.
So, basically no chance right ?
If you have any thoughts on how we may approach this I would be grateful.

A thought did occur , we have a barn close by to house and I wondered if this was reduced or demolished to maintain or lower the overall square footage of the property pp for house side extension may be considered.

Have a good evening and I'll let you know how I get on,

Layman

humptydumpty
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Re: tomorrow..

Post by humptydumpty » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:42 pm

It really does depend where you are, there has been some relaxing of planning "barriers" in recent years, maybe you'll get lucky.
Fingers crossed for you.

layman

Post by layman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:14 pm

thanks HD,

so meeting was interesting and informative if only to confirm most of what we knew. As suspected fact that 40% already used, and this proposal is for side extension count against us, green belt , AONB, blah blah ...

However due to the nature of our property the side extension would visually enhance the house, so we could make an argument that extension was not 'visually disproportionate' ...

Planning guy suggested we make application, it will be refused, we must then appeal and make our case / argument as well as we can using any evidence of other 40%+ allowances in our area ....

Chances of success are slim, but it was made clear there is a new 'permissive' attitude in our council due to National Policy Planning Framework and that our timing of application could be opportune...

we'll see...

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Best continued here:
layman wrote:Hi All,

Non listed detached house in AONB rural location, maxed out with 40% PP and PD single storey rear extension. However 2 storey side extension is required, and we are trying to figure out best way of approaching council about this.
Our thinking is to apply for Certificate of Lawfulness to demolish and rebuild with a 10% increase in size ( as per PD rights ). Once gained make pp application to council to allow the 10% extra to take shape of 2 storey side extension ( without actually demolishing and rebuilding ).

Has anyone heard of this sort of plan to achieve permission?

Any comments and advice very welcome,

Regards,

Layman
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:36 pm

Why resurrect a 3 year old thread?

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:41 pm

mugwump wrote:Why resurrect a 3 year old thread?

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... =9&t=20851

There may have been a more appropriate thread to add this to - there are several
arborlad

smile...it confuses people