Judge curses both houses

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

hzatph

Judge curses both houses

Post by hzatph » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Hugh Jaleak

Re: Judge curses both houses

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:42 am

I would hope that 'Could only happen in America' !!

Although I suspect Courts here have found themselves dealing with equally petty matters.....

pilman

Post by pilman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:37 am

Hugh you shouldn't confuse Canada with America because Canadians are sensitive people who are proud of their independence. :lol:

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:51 am

pilman wrote:Hugh you shouldn't confuse Canada with America because Canadians are sensitive people who are proud of their independence. :lol:
Hi Hugh,

pilman beat me to it - I've always considered the phrase to mean only the yanks, but happy to be corrected.

Kind regards, Mac

Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:01 am

It all depends how pedantic you want to be.
America = continents of north and south America
N America = USA, Canada, Mexico, (Greenland?)
Yanks = strictly speaking federal US states, "northerners" only, not the deep south.

I've heard of southerners resenting being called yanks - "yankees" was their term of abuse for carpet-bagging northerners.

arsie

Post by arsie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 am

Clifford, I lived in Raleigh (pronounced Rawlee) in North Carolina for a while. The native white trash joked it was the shallow south ;) The deep south could be: the Appalachians further north and west (think the movie Deliverance and 'Duelling Banjos'), Louisiana (of the move The Beguiled and Clint Eastwood when he had hair) or 'Sweet Home Alabama' and the cotton fields. Even after 150 years they resent being called Yanks, as you say. Soon the Scots will feel the same way about being considered British, I expect.

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Nothingtodowithme wrote:

Hugh Jaleak wrote: I would hope that 'Could only happen in America' !!

Although I suspect Courts here have found themselves dealing with equally petty matters.....

To take umbrage to the word conjecture is equally petty in my view.
Eh? I haven't taken umbrage to anything in the post as far as I was aware and where was the word conjecture used? This is not the first time you have misquoted me and/or found fault with something you have alleged I have said, and I'm not pleased about it. Please refrain and stick to facts.

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:24 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:
Nothingtodowithme wrote:

Eh? I haven't taken umbrage to anything in the post as far as I was aware and where was the word conjecture used? This is not the first time you have misquoted me and/or found fault with something you have alleged I have said, and I'm not pleased about it. Please refrain and stick to facts.
Hi Hugh,

if you re-read the content of nothingtodowithme's posting you will realise that it is nothing more than a statement and contains no reference to you in it.

just like me writing:

complaining to the boss about a co-worker looking a bit tardy when we're all being made redundant next week is equally petty in my view.

(whether it was directed at you I don't know - have you perhaps mentioned the word "conjecture" in another thread in the past?)

Kind regards, Mac

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:
Nothingtodowithme wrote:

+1
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:19 pm

I can see now it's been pointed out! It was the fact my post had been quoted that confused me. Apologies to all. :oops:

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi Cliff,

I've heard of southerners resenting being called yanks - "yankees" was their term of abuse for carpet-bagging northerners.

I know a few New Englanders who don't particularly like it either.

trouble is there's no universally acceptable demonym for the citizens of the USA so I'm sticking with using good old "yank" (it was a British term for the folk from what became the US as far as I'm aware - the north/south thing being something they dreamt up themselves quite some time later).

Kind regards, Mac

arsie

Post by arsie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:15 pm

as usual Mac has his own ideas.

Yankees were the northerners in their Civil War. A term of abuse, from a southerner. Ignorant folk this side of the Atlantic use the term 'yank' indiscriminately. As has been pointed out, it can offend some Americans: "And some fell on stony ground".

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:02 am

arsie wrote:as usual Mac has his own ideas.

Yankees were the northerners in their Civil War. A term of abuse, from a southerner. Ignorant folk this side of the Atlantic use the term 'yank' indiscriminately. As has been pointed out, it can offend some Americans: "And some fell on stony ground".
I politely recommend you double-check your understanding of who first used the word and why.

Kind regards, Mac

arsie

Post by arsie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
arsie wrote:as usual Mac has his own ideas.

I politely recommend you double-check your understanding of who first used the word and why.

Kind regards, Mac
I have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee and my summary is sound. Of course the wiki entry is probably by a yank ;)

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:09 pm

nothingtodowithme wrote:To take umbrage to the word conjecture is equally petty in my view.
nothingtodowithme wrote:Have you considered anger management?

:?: :?: :?: :?:
arborlad

smile...it confuses people