3rd attempt to post - wish me luck!

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

arborlad

Re: 3rd attempt to post - wish me luck!

Post by arborlad » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:50 am

Best continued here:
bluebelle wrote:Hello, hoping somebody can answer this please.

Have posted previously re various issues concerning a PROW through our small close into fields behind us. The fields have now been built on (housing estate) and the council has decided that the previously undefined PROW runs immediately behind the fences at the end of our gardens and have permitted it to be used for cycles too (was only foot access before). It will run to yet another proposed housing estate and a park and ride and a pub.

I now have a row of houses backing directly onto my house and, due to this and the anticipated increased usage, am looking into various screening/hedging options. As my fence is 2m high, I want to plant something that is 3m at least but now find there a rules/regs when planting adjacent to a PROW.

When I bought the house originally there was no PROW at the end of my garden. One of my new neighbours has put a trellis up on his fence, making it 4m high at least, the council have done nothing despite knowing this. The council/builders have put several beech trees actually on the PROW itself and my immediate next door neighbour has a very high conifer which was there before any houses at all were built, including her own.

In light of all this, how likely do you think I would be made to take down very expensive hedging that I might go ahead and plant? TIA
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

arsie

Re: 3rd attempt to post - wish me luck!

Post by arsie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:19 pm

Ah so it's not gone away ...

As you may know, there are rules regarding height of fences (2m) and outbuildings (2.3m I think) you may erect without planning permission on your boundaries. The height must be reduced if you adjoin a public highway - though not with a PROW (I think.)

My main point is that there are no such statutory restrictions on hedges or trees. Trees grow as they will.

The only problem with growing hedges especially conifer hedges is that not everyone is prepared to take on the maintenance to keep it in check. Once a hedge grows beyond 2m or even less you need to be quite fit and have tools/spend time to keep it trim. Conifers are tempting; they grow quickly but once unmaintained they become unmanageable - you can't cut them back drastically without creating an eyesore: whereas deciduous hedges will grow back and fill in the green foliage at a reduced height.