Decking

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

moaningminnie
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 1

Re: Decking

Post by moaningminnie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi Pilman,

Thank you for your link, I was just reading some of your advice back in 2014. It is disappointing that the planning officer (supervisor) was so ambiguous, they are determined to get a consultation out of me!

So the fact that they will see straight into my garden and home is irrelevant? the slope is towards our fence, although it is not severe. We are side by side and the decking is going to be up against the boundary fence. Does privacy not count at all in these case? They will be at chest height to the fence, at most now. We bought our house knowing we would not be over-looked so this is very disappointing especially since I would prefer the privacy for my daughters also.

Bamboo plants it is then I guess! thank you all for taking the time and having the patience to help me :-)

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:18 pm

moaningminnie wrote: ANYWAY,

This weekend my neighbour informed me that 18" raised decking will be installed next month at the bottom of the garden.

As the proposed new decking is remote and separate from the house, I don't believe any measurement taken at the house is relevant.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:24 am

arborlad wrote:
As the proposed new decking is remote and separate from the house, I don't believe any measurement taken at the house is relevant.
I agree.

pilman

Post by pilman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:54 am

300mm is about 12 inches in height, so if there is a slope that is highest away from the poster's garden but sloped towards that garden, then when the decking is measured at the highest point of natural ground level it could meet the 1 foot requirement, but could then be 18 inches high alongside the fence.

If the only height above natural ground level is 18 inches then that requires the grant of planning permission, which is when the local planning authority can take into account the impact on the privacy of a neighbouring property.

In the event that this decking was erected and did not comply with the height requirement of the GPDO it would be possible to point this out to the LPA as a breach of planning control. Then it will depend on whether he LPA enforcement officer decides to do anything about that breach.

Unfortunately it is not possible to demand that the LPA does take enforcement action. It will always depend on how serious the LPA considers the breach of planning control to be.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:17 am

moaningminnie wrote:I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay the £50 for a consultation with them as they are refusing any more information without this.

.............is this normal?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

moaningminnie

Post by moaningminnie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:16 pm

arborlad wrote:
moaningminnie wrote:I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay the £50 for a consultation with them as they are refusing any more information without this.

.............is this normal?
They basically send you to an ambiguous link - such that I sent in an earlier thread and for any additional information I have to pay for a consultation.

moaningminnie

Post by moaningminnie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:22 pm

pilman wrote:300mm is about 12 inches in height, so if there is a slope that is highest away from the poster's garden but sloped towards that garden, then when the decking is measured at the highest point of natural ground level it could meet the 1 foot requirement, but could then be 18 inches high alongside the fence.

If the only height above natural ground level is 18 inches then that requires the grant of planning permission, which is when the local planning authority can take into account the impact on the privacy of a neighbouring property.

In the event that this decking was erected and did not comply with the height requirement of the GPDO it would be possible to point this out to the LPA as a breach of planning control. Then it will depend on whether he LPA enforcement officer decides to do anything about that breach.

Unfortunately it is not possible to demand that the LPA does take enforcement action. It will always depend on how serious the LPA considers the breach of planning control to be.
Thank you, I understand now. I wouldn't wish to enforce or be confrontational if they are within their rights. It is a shame the local planning authority have been so vague. I am grateful for everyone's advice on this site :-)

Chunkyfathead

Post by Chunkyfathead » Sun May 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Certainly and interesting thread..... I to have a problem with a neighbour once a 6ft fence divided us both.... he couldnt see me and vise versa.... The they decided to built a decked area at the end of the garden....and since then, they can see directly into my garden, even to the point of being able to see into our back door....
When they have guess around like 3 weekends so far even they can see and have been caught staring.......makes me feel really uncomfortable.....

Wife is not best please as this invades our privacy so we are thinking about planting some hedges along that fence, but wont be high enough for this year.... spoke with the HA who dont wanna know.... called the council planning and this guy gave me the advice on planting a hedge :mrgreen: ......

But for moment as the summer is coming... we still want our privacy back... so my kids can go out and have fun in the pool without being stared at ......I have decided to knock up a washing line, throw and attach a camouflage net / tarp, couple of tent poles..... bobs your uncle....a den of the kids to mess about in, the satisfying fact knowing the neighbours cant see over or in our garden....

despair

Post by despair » Sun May 14, 2017 9:18 pm

yup camouflage netting is excellent idea

you could install several tall poles with wires in between and attach fruit cage net
then buy a selection of climbing plants like clematis, jasmine, ivy, honeysuckles from Morrisons supermarket .just £1.79 each...pot them up in bigger pots to grow on
then come the autumm plant them in really large holes full of good compost and let them romp away
by next summer you will have a lovely colourful living screen

proprint
Number of Posts per Page: 2
Number of topics per page: 12

Re: Decking - sloping ground - women prosecuted

Post by proprint » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:07 pm

There has just been a case reported in Bolton where a home owner erected decking which was 40cm above its permitted height, total at highest point 70cm, due to a slope, the cost of the decking was £2500 , the home owner wanted to allow access for disabled occupants and visitors, she has been dragged before the courts and forced to dismantle the entire lot, mother of one age 59 and an upstanding citizen was given a conditional discharge ordered to pay £125 towards the council’s investigation, a £200 contribution towards costs and a £20 victims surcharge. I am posting this as there has been plenty of discussion about how to measure the height on sloping ground and many posts have the wrong information, the measurement was taken from the lowest point of the land not the level of the house,

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/162 ... _too_high/

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Decking - sloping ground - women prosecuted

Post by Collaborate » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:39 am

proprint wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:10 pm
There has just been a case reported in Bolton where a home owner erected decking which was 40cm above its permitted height, total at highest point 70cm, due to a slope, the cost of the decking was £2500 , the home owner wanted to allow access for disabled occupants and visitors, she has been dragged before the courts and forced to dismantle the entire lot, mother of one age 59 and an upstanding citizen was given a conditional discharge ordered to pay £125 towards the council’s investigation, a £200 contribution towards costs and a £20 victims surcharge. I am posting this as there has been plenty of discussion about how to measure the height on sloping ground and many posts have the wrong information, the measurement was taken from the lowest point of the land not the level of the house,

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/162 ... _too_high/
You've fallen in to the age old trap. Measurements are taken from the highest natural point of the land (as you correctly say in the first part of your post). Not the lowest (as you incorrectly say in the later part of your post). To be fair I've never seen any of the regular posters here get this one wrong.

pilman

Post by pilman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:30 pm

A building erected alongside the boundary can have a maximum height of 2.5 metres (8' 2")

Under planning law a pergola is a "building" rather than a fence, so a series of upright wooden poles can be located next to the fence on your own land.
Horizontal boards can be located above the original fence height up to the maximum height of 2.5 metres.
The final height of this building would comprise a horizontal piece of wood supported by a 45 degree piece of wood rather like a gallows bracket.
Then when you place the hanging baskets in the summer months there is a good reason why the pergola needed to be so high, because you need to walk under the pergola without hitting your head on the underside of your hanging baskets.

Your local builders merchant will stock 2.4 metre lengths of 63mm x 38mm CLS planed timber so the uncut lengths would be suitable for the uprights as well as providing the horizontal and angled cut lengths for the top of the building.

I hope someone in the family has a saw and some screws to help keep your privacy building as low cost as possible.

Lighter

Post by Lighter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 am

Could the pergola be built in the front garden?

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 am

we have made some big planters out of decking, then fixed tall batons to the back and then fixed trellis to it, they are a few inches away from the fence. ive planted an evergreen alpine clematis in them, to give all year screening, when the enforcement officer for the council saw them he said as they were free standing and separate from the fence he had no issue with the fact they are well over 2 meters tall.

Lighter

Post by Lighter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Sorry about my previous post - reading the post about pergolas set me off on wanting one in MY front garden to border the front corner of our neighbour