Replacing an Old Garage

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

andyl999

Replacing an Old Garage

Post by andyl999 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:03 am

I have a question(s) concerning a garage.
I live in a detached house in 0.7 acre and about 30 years ago I built a reinforced concrete base 12.5m x 8m deep. On top of which a concrete panel garage with fibre corrugated roof 5.65m wide and 8m deep, the garage was positioned 1m from the boundary and has a dual pitched roof 3.2m high. I am in green belt.
To the side of the garage is 2x carports.
The garage is somewhat cold and damp and I want to now house my classic cars so I want to replace the garage with a larger one, that is insulated and has an office area at the end.
All the planning portals I have seen talk about new build or extensions hence my questions:-
1) Can I replace my existing garage with a timber frame garage to the identical size (5.65 x 8) without planning permission or building control, bearing in mind the building is 45 sqm? If so what happens to the 1m boundary clearance?
2) Alternatively if I wanted a much larger building to fill the complete concrete slab then I assume I would need planning consent?
3) I presume that I can also build 3x 30sqm buildings which are not attached?
4) So as any building would be over 30 sqm I presume that building control will want to be involved, how do I convince them that the concrete slab is up to what they might want as a spec? I have no record or evidence of how I built is other than the concrete was over 12” thick with a steel mesh, there are no cracks on any of it despite some heavy cars on it.
5) Foundations will be problematical as when we extended our house we had to go down 2m due to clay, so I would rather stick to a concrete slab and I would rather not have to break the existing one up.

pilman

Re: Replacing an Old Garage

Post by pilman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 am

You seem to know that any building in excess of 30 sq. m. will need building control approval, so just to confirm what needs planning permission under permitted development rights you will need to look at the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2105, as long as you are in England not Wales, which has its own GPDO.
Part 1 Class E is the one to look at where the dimensions will need to comply with 2.5 metres maximum height within 2 metres of a boundary, or whether your property is in a conservation area and is between the side of the house and its boundary, or whether the garage is in front of the house in any case.
Class E – buildings etc incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse
Permitted development
E. The provision within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse of—
(a) any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose incidental to
the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such, or the maintenance, improvement or other
alteration of such a building or enclosure; or
(b) a container used for domestic heating purposes for the storage of oil or liquid
petroleum gas.
Development not permitted
E.1 Development is not permitted by Class E if—
(a) permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue
of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use);
(b) the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the
curtilage (other than the original dwellinghouse) would exceed 50% of the total area of
the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse);
(c) any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land forward of
a wall forming the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse;

(d) the building would have more than a single storey;
(e) the height of the building, enclosure or container would exceed—
(i) 4 metres in the case of a building with a dual-pitched roof,
(ii) 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within 2 metres of the
boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse,
or
(iii) 3 metres in any other case;
(f) the height of the eaves of the building would exceed 2.5 metres;
(g) the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated within the curtilage of a listed
building;
(h) it would include the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform;
(i) it relates to a dwelling or a microwave antenna; or
(j) the capacity of the container would exceed 3,500 litres.

E.2 In the case of any land within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse which is within—
(a) an area of outstanding natural beauty;
(b) the Broads;
(c) a National Park; or
(d) a World Heritage Site,
development is not permitted by Class E if the total area of ground covered by buildings,
enclosures, pools and containers situated more than 20 metres from any wall of the dwellinghouse
would exceed 10 square metres.

E.3 In the case of any land within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse which is article 2(3) land,
development is not permitted by Class E if any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container
would be situated on land between a wall forming a side elevation of the dwellinghouse and the
boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

Interpretation of Class E
E.4 For the purposes of Class E, “purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as
such” includes the keeping of poultry, bees, pet animals, birds or other livestock for the domestic
needs or personal enjoyment of the occupants of the dwellinghouse.