Breaching a smoke control order

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

jdfi
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 50

Breaching a smoke control order

Post by jdfi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Hello folks,

Does anyone know whether a wood-burner that was installed before the area became subject to a smoke control order gains any kind of grandfather rights?

Looking at buying a property that contains an old woodburner that isn't on the DEFRA exempt list and isn't able to take smokeless fuel either.

The seller actually showed paperwork with the installation date (same company who fitted it have been out many times to service/sweep) which was 5 years before the smoke control order was put in place.

Can anyone think of any means by which this could be used? Seller still uses it, although of course I wouldn't wilfully break any laws. Have there been many prosecutions?

jdfi

Re: Breaching a smoke control order

Post by jdfi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:13 am

Would appreciate some thoughts, folks

span

Post by span » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:05 pm

I doubt very much that there's any such thing as grandfather rights for smoke control.

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:46 pm

I doubt very much that there's any such thing as grandfather rights for smoke control.

Hi,

Me too. When smoke control was introduced (late 1950s) I think millions of houses had to burn smokeless fuel, or buy a new fire. My parents changed to gas fires.

I can remember the London smogs ... you could get lost crossing the road.

Er ... do those with woodburners get reduced VAT on theoir logs? Same query for those who burn oil and bottled gas?

jdfi

Post by jdfi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:20 am

jonahinoz wrote: Er ... do those with woodburners get reduced VAT on theoir logs? Same query for those who burn oil and bottled gas?

Yes - see https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -and-power

Thank you both for your responses.

Could a hypothetical person get away with it? What would be the likely council interaction upon first reporting?