Breaching a smoke control order

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Breaching a smoke control order

Postby jdfi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Hello folks,

Does anyone know whether a wood-burner that was installed before the area became subject to a smoke control order gains any kind of grandfather rights?

Looking at buying a property that contains an old woodburner that isn't on the DEFRA exempt list and isn't able to take smokeless fuel either.

The seller actually showed paperwork with the installation date (same company who fitted it have been out many times to service/sweep) which was 5 years before the smoke control order was put in place.

Can anyone think of any means by which this could be used? Seller still uses it, although of course I wouldn't wilfully break any laws. Have there been many prosecutions?
jdfi

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Breaching a smoke control order

Postby jdfi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:13 am

Would appreciate some thoughts, folks
jdfi

Postby span » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:05 pm

I doubt very much that there's any such thing as grandfather rights for smoke control.
span

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:46 pm

I doubt very much that there's any such thing as grandfather rights for smoke control.

Hi,

Me too. When smoke control was introduced (late 1950s) I think millions of houses had to burn smokeless fuel, or buy a new fire. My parents changed to gas fires.

I can remember the London smogs ... you could get lost crossing the road.

Er ... do those with woodburners get reduced VAT on theoir logs? Same query for those who burn oil and bottled gas?

jonahinoz

Postby jdfi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 am

jonahinoz wrote:Er ... do those with woodburners get reduced VAT on theoir logs? Same query for those who burn oil and bottled gas?

Yes - see https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -and-power

Thank you both for your responses.

Could a hypothetical person get away with it? What would be the likely council interaction upon first reporting?
jdfi

Return to General Topics