Is PP needed to lower ground level?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

jonahinoz

Is PP needed to lower ground level?

Post by jonahinoz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 am

Hi,

We are still looking for a bungalow vwithin waliking distance of our daughter. Plan A has been sold. Plan B is under offer. We are now again looking at a a bungalow within 0.2miles of daughter, not even considered, as the kitchen was extended into the rear garden ... then back filled against the rear wall. to a height of about 70mm (three 9" steps). I have not enquired about PP and BR. But the garden slopes up away from the house. The rear garden is somewhat small, but hey, I turn 79 next month. The fact that it is £30,000 cheaper than the next acceptable, which has only a 2.7m x2.7m kichen, sort of trumps the back garden.

See the doodles that I hope will be somewhere lower down. They are a combination of a map with the estate agents dimensions drawn on top ... actually they came together pretty well, even if I say so myself. They still need tidying.

The gap between the NE corner of the kitchen, and the SW corner of the garage next door scales at about 2.7m, which compares favourably with a rough measurement I took with a tape. The available space for a garage increases as you go further into the garden I reckon I could squeeze a 19ft x 10ft garage in there, maybe even 18ft x12ft if I catch SWMBO on a good day, and I promise to let he keep haf the front garden for flowers.

Looking at the aerial view, the garage to the North is already dug in as far as I would want to go. I assume he would appreciate me removing the soil from against his wall? The house to the South seems to have a shed in his NE corner, which appears to be standing on ground at the same level as the bottom of the young canyon outside "my" bedroom window. The conservatory "thingy" is close in front of the bathroom window, with just enough room for an inspection chamber, I wonder where the soil pipe goes? And the shed door opens over the back wall of the canyon. Crazy set up! I'm guessing the house was built post-war.

Plan C is to dig out all the ground behind the house, down to below DPC level, and as close to the back fence as possible. It seems that houses both sides have already done this. A retaining wall, about one metre high will be required. That means it will be 0.5m thick ... will it require bracing into the garden? Then erect a prefabricated concrete garage.

Between the back fence and an A-class road is an area of grass, with a hedge of trees growing along, and close to the fence. This area is in public ownership.

So, what it says on the tin. Do I need PP to lower the level of my garden?

Treat this as semi-academic, as we cannot "proceed" until we get an offer for our present house ... the estate agent asks if we will give him a season ticket, he is so busy showing the punters round.

John W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jdfi
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Is PP needed to lower ground level?

Post by jdfi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:27 am

Could the council use the bend on the top road as justification for refusing dropped kerb permission?

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:09 am

Could the council use the bend on the top road as justification for refusing dropped kerb permission?

Hi JDFI,

There is no need to drop any kerb, just remove a fence. Cars an already park between "my" bungalow and next door's garage. The deal breaker might not being able to park on the banana shaped front garden.Fingers crossed that there isn't an LA covenant.

I forgot to post my sketch, which isn't finished yet. Clicked!

John W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 am

Is there a right of way for the bungalow to use the tarmac leading to the gap between the bungalow and house?

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 am

jonahinoz wrote: A retaining wall, about one metre high will be required. That means it will be 0.5m thick ... will it require bracing into the garden? Then erect a prefabricated concrete garage.

You seem to have got hold of a misconception that the thickness of a retaining wall needs to be half its height, I'm not aware of any such 'rule-of thumb'. There are so many variables to be considered for a retaining wall, it'd be unwise to speculate on what might be fit for purpose in your circumstances, what would be sufficient to retain a metre of dry sandy loam at the top of a hill would be insufficient to hold a metre of wet clay at the bottom of a hill.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi,

I think it was a BC officer who suggested that basement walls should be 50% of the wall height ... but they would accept 30%. OK, not quite the same thing.

Looking at the maps, the access road to the bungalow, and I think two or three other houses does not seem to be in public ownership. I'm guessing that the bungalow was built more than 20 years ago, and will have always been driven over (and parked on) by occupants of the bungalow ... they cannot, until now, drive past the trellis gate you can see in the photo below. If you look carefully, you can just see the steps through the trellis. Obviously, I will check the Land Register ,,, when push comes to shove. One £6 is enough for now.

Back to the original question ... do I need PP to lower the level of the rear garden? I wonder how far it is from the back fence to the edge of the highway? The grass verge seems to belong to the Parks Trust, not the Highway Authority ... but I bet they have that covered.

John W

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Doh!

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Found it,

I hadn't put the pictures through Publisher, to make them smaller. Fingers crossed.

John W

FrTed

Post by FrTed » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 am

Do you really need a garage or could you erect a car port ( cantilever type ) off the side of the bungalow where people seem to park already?
Cheaper and less hassle all round ( aside from routing the water run off)
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:44 pm

FrTed wrote:Do you really need a garage or could you erect a car port ( cantilever type ) off the side of the bungalow where people seem to park already?
Cheaper and less hassle all round ( aside from routing the water run off)
I bet the neighbour's would love it if somebody provided a carport at the side of the house for them to use. That area doesn't look as though it is part of the bungalow

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I should have said ... we have made an offer on another bungalow, which has it's own "points of interest".

But thanks anyway.

John W