Public bench overlooking my garden

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

poorlittlefish
Number of Posts per Page: 30
Number of topics per page: 30

Public bench overlooking my garden

Post by poorlittlefish » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:27 pm

There is a bench sited on what I believe to be council-owned land adjacent to my house that's used by dog walkers. I have lived there for 6 years but have never noticed it until last weekend when I was in my back garden, so I believe it must be a new addition (although I've not been into my garden over the winter, so it might have been there since last autumn).

The bench in question has been positioned so that it doesn't look over the beautiful view of the mountain that's there; instead it's facing directly over my back garden. To me this represents a gross invasion of privacy and means that I have had people sitting watching me as I do my gardening both last weekend and today. I live alone and it makes me feel very uncomfortable to be watched. I was not consulted over the siting of the bench and I see no reason why it should be facing my garden instead of the countryside, so am I within my rights to ask that it be moved?

span

Re: Public bench overlooking my garden

Post by span » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:36 pm

poorlittlefish wrote:There is a bench sited on what I believe to be council-owned land adjacent to my house that's used by dog walkers. I have lived there for 6 years but have never noticed it until last weekend when I was in my back garden, so I believe it must be a new addition (although I've not been into my garden over the winter, so it might have been there since last autumn).

The bench in question has been positioned so that it doesn't look over the beautiful view of the mountain that's there; instead it's facing directly over my back garden. To me this represents a gross invasion of privacy and means that I have had people sitting watching me as I do my gardening both last weekend and today. I live alone and it makes me feel very uncomfortable to be watched. I was not consulted over the siting of the bench and I see no reason why it should be facing my garden instead of the countryside, so am I within my rights to ask that it be moved?
Ask of the council? Of course you are within your rights to ask the council. It's a very small and harmless thing to ask, why shouldn't you be able to ask.

SJC14

Post by SJC14 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Is it fixed to the ground? If not just go round and move it away from facing your property. If it is fixed I would email your local Councillor and the local community council to have it changed direction.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:45 am

You could always stand completely starkers in your window, staring at whoever is sitting on the bench. I reckon someone would be out to move it pretty quickly.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:49 am

Best to stick to one thread:

poorlittlefish wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm
I didn't notice before I moved in that there is a public bench sited on the Council-owned countryside next to my house. The land is much higher than the level of my garden (hence why I didn't notice it when I viewed the house) and the bench is sited so that it is not facing the beautiful mountain view, but directly overlooking my garden. The result of this is that if people are using the bench they are quite literally watching me in my garden.

I wrote to the council to explain this and ask if the bench could be turned to face the view of the mountain/countryside. The answer I got, after several months of prodding, was that the bench has been there for years, so they're not going to do anything. What about my right to privacy and/or quiet enjoyment of my property? Is there anything I can do or do I have to put up with the public watching me (or stay indoors)?

Thanks.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Try putting a sign on the bench which reads "wet paint". Alternatively try to get your local counsellor on your side.

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:51 am

Hi,

Is the siting of a bench something that would be agreed at a Parish Council meeting, and recorded in the minutes?

Maybe they agreed to site the bench, but didn't specify which way it should face? I think your local library will keep copies of the Parish Council minutes.

Is the bench adjacent to, and facing the footpath? That would be normal. Ask them to turn it round, and move it to the other side of the path.

John W

Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:01 am

If there is a scenic view one way and your garden in the other then clearly it is either a mistake or some joker has unbolted it from its concrete anchor and turned it round.
That said I've seen new benches sited looking straight into a hedge, or buried under a pile of gravel the council then tipped ready for road resurfacing.