Neighbours Big Shed & Potential Business Query

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

kiteboy

Neighbours Big Shed & Potential Business Query

Post by kiteboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi guys

Just querying as my neighbour is about to start work putting in a large summer house or shed in his garden.

It will cover the entire back width of his garden and up to the boundry pretty much - Im OK with it really but wanted to check a few things thats all just for thoughts

I gather that the summer house will be using for a business purpose - I dont know what exactly but I think its due to home therapies type thing

I dont know if this is a proper business even yet as in registered with companies house buts thats what its going to be set up for anyway - good on them for having a gamble

Anyway ---- Am I right in saying the the eave height should be 2.5m max (so potentially the ridge height could be somewhat heigher too).......the issue Im hoping to not have to worry about is that if he raises the ground level before the build starts - as at the moment there is a step down to his garden so that helps a little bit

Should I take photos as a precaution maybe just in case ?? I dont think there will be an issue really but you never know - until the thing is up I cant tell what it would look like

Thanks for any guidance!

span

Re: Neighbours Big Shed & Potential Business Query

Post by span » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:44 pm

kiteboy wrote:Hi guys

Just querying as my neighbour is about to start work putting in a large summer house or shed in his garden.

It will cover the entire back width of his garden and up to the boundry pretty much - Im OK with it really but wanted to check a few things thats all just for thoughts

I gather that the summer house will be using for a business purpose - I dont know what exactly but I think its due to home therapies type thing

I dont know if this is a proper business even yet as in registered with companies house buts thats what its going to be set up for anyway - good on them for having a gamble

Anyway ---- Am I right in saying the the eave height should be 2.5m max (so potentially the ridge height could be somewhat heigher too).......the issue Im hoping to not have to worry about is that if he raises the ground level before the build starts - as at the moment there is a step down to his garden so that helps a little bit

Should I take photos as a precaution maybe just in case ?? I dont think there will be an issue really but you never know - until the thing is up I cant tell what it would look like

Thanks for any guidance!
Yes.

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:48 am

Hi,

I believe that if ANY part of the building is within 2 metres of a boundary, NO part of the building may be more that 2.5 metres high, measured from the highest point of the adjacent ground, without Planning Approval. (Buiding that is an extension of the dwelling, or deemed to be an extension, has different rules).

I believe that a building that covers more than 50% of the garden [(area of plot, minus the original house), minus any previous outbuildings/extensions], will require Planning Approval.

I believe that any building more than 30m2 requires Building Regulation Approval.

I believe there are restrictions on the use of combustible materials (eg: timber).

The Planners will frown at some businesses operating in a residential area. Noise! Smells! Traffic! Rats!

Do a Google for PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT.

John W

jdfi
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by jdfi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:51 pm

If your neighbour suddenly moves a couple of beautiful ladies in, then you know whats going on.