Road class of attached highway?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

beardsince1978

Road class of attached highway?

Post by beardsince1978 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Take road, class C, 30 mph limit. The class C road back in 1900 odd was wider at one place. Picture a 90 deg bend with the quadrant inside the bend also highway. At some time in the distant past the road has been tarmaced but only the road width. The quadrant inside the bend has been left as dirt and has since turned to grass. I believe the quadrant is thus unmetalled highway rather than verge, but is it class C highway like the tarmaced road or is it unclassified?

I suppose it is a similar question to if you have a parking bay off a class C road is the parking bay class C or unclassified. Does it make a difference if the parking bay is not tarmaced?

Clifford Pope

Re: Road class of attached highway?

Post by Clifford Pope » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:35 pm

It seems bizarre to me that bits at the side of a road can have a different classification to the centre.
Among other anomalies that would allow would be the right to create an entrance on an otherwise classified road on the grounds that the bit at the side was unclassified, and therefore not subject to approval by the highway authority.
Is that really true?

beardsince1978

Re: Road class of attached highway?

Post by beardsince1978 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:50 pm

I don't know either but it seems strange to me that you could have a class C road which is unmetalled. Maybe the issue is it should be metalled?