Conservatory toilet

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Jazzy67

Conservatory toilet

Post by Jazzy67 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:58 pm

I recently bought a house with a 3 year-old conservatory which included a toilet. We now have drain problems below the toilet – effluent building up, smells etc, and on inspection, the run of the drain is old and substandard, so we now have to excavate the whole thing and do it properly. It's a private drain/sewer. The previous owner undertook at the time of sale that all necessary building control approvals were in place. But he didn’t get BC approval for this toilet, or the state of the drainwork below it. He now says that was because (a) it was on the site of an old outside privy and he was just replacing what was already there, now inside the conservatory; (b) nothing to do with a conservatory requires BC approval anyway; and (c) as the problem is below ground, his installation of a new toilet isn’t the problem. Buyer beware, he says. So far I've had only a confused response from someone at my local BC office. So my questions are: is the seller right that he didn’t need BC approval for putting a toilet into an otherwise BC-exempt conservatory? If so, he misled me at the time of purchase. And if it had been inspected, would BC have looked at the dodgy drains too, and required them to be done properly?

If anyone can shed light on this, I'd be very grateful.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Conservatory toilet

Post by Collaborate » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:34 pm

Sorry, but I can't get beyond the fact that somewhere there is a conservatory and someone put a toilet in it. Haven't the neighbours complained?

Dave 57

Post by Dave 57 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Collaborate wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:34 pm
Sorry, but I can't get beyond the fact that somewhere there is a conservatory and someone put a toilet in it. Haven't the neighbours complained?
Brings to mind an advert from a few years ago, which was set in a large empty room with big windows (might have been a conservatory). The only items of furniture grouped together in the centre of the room were a toilet, a television and a fridge packed full of a well known brand of Australian lager.

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 am

If a new toilet has been put in the same position as an old toilet, then unlikely Building Control would be needed, as its not a 'new installation', only a replacement WC. The fact that the original room/building had been removed and a conservatory erected in its place wouldn't be a factor, as he has said, BC approval wasn't needed for the conservatory, and with no alterations needed to the drainage, then no need to involve BC there either. If the conservatory wasn't there and the original privy remained would you still have an issue over the faulty drains?

It's almost impossible to ascertain the condition of any drain without doing a CCTV survey. Water Companies are now insisting their assets are surveyed prior to any works being carried out on or around the drains to flag up any issues prior to works taking place. This then covers both parties if damage or issues later arise. The option is there for anyone buying a property to get the drains checked prior to purchase, but few do. Afraid, as a private sewer, it's down to you to sort it out.

span

Post by span » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Advice seems to be, as unpalatable as it may be, "Suck it up, buttercup."

Don't actually suck anything up.

despair

Post by despair » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 pm

If you had a full survey of your own done the surveyor should have noticed

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 pm

despair wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 pm
If you had a full survey of your own done the surveyor should have noticed
Not unless the Surveyor had x-ray eyes. The only way to adequately ascertain the condition of drains is a CCTV survey, which costs. Surveyors can only report on what they see.

Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:36 pm

Collaborate wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:34 pm
It does seem a bizarre thing to do. Presumably it is partitioned off in one corner? What have you done about the glazing?