new house blocking sunlight

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Uphillmicrobe34

Intimated

Post by Uphillmicrobe34 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 pm

We brought our house in 2010 it had a piece of land next to it which my house had a path access to the back garden which it did have in last 60 years. in 2014 the land was brought and went through the planning permission and the council aloud them to buil a four bedroom house. During the build we had loads of issues with the builders but they were very itimadating and we felt that we could not speak to them. They have built the house and we have no natural light in the landing anymore they have fenced their garden of and the fence has been screwed to our garage we no longer have access to the side of our property including our foundations.their is no party wall agreement in place plus our extension has subsidence and a independent structural engineer has not checked our property we can not get any help And feelnwe have been robbed

despair

Re: Intimated

Post by despair » Fri May 04, 2018 4:32 pm

If the builders have stolen your sideway or if they have attached a fence to your garage its illegal

Check every single mortgage, insurance, credit card, union membership for legal expebpnses cover and get something done

If the builders caused you hassle why did you not call the police

If they have taken your land why was it not fenced off
Have you actually checked exactly whats on your deeds
Have you contacted the Land Registry to warn them they are registering your land on another persons house

If you knew the houses were being built did you stand by and let the builders walk all over you

Uphillmicrobe34

Post by Uphillmicrobe34 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks for the reply they we’re gangsters and has rented the house out to there buddy’s we were very intimidated . They have recently sold the house on through estate agents to some horrible people now so we are looking to take action , we have been to the council citizens advice rang loads of Solictors, nobody is interested in giving any advice and can’t help we just need to know exactly what to do , the land registry have no help whatsoever in helping with this issue

Uphillmicrobe34

Post by Uphillmicrobe34 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 am

The side of house wasn’t fenced of it was flagged with a back gate and has been like that for over 50 years according to the neighbors,surely that counts for something also the our title just has a red outline how can we tell if the paths on it

Either way could we win in court if we get statements of neighbours saying it’s been in use for decades

despair

Post by despair » Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 am

No idea if you could win in court ...it all depends on the strength of your neighbours statement s and what exactly your deeds say and what info the land registry have on yours and the neighbours deeds

You should have legal expenses cover on your mortgage or house insurance if you have not been sensible and added this long ago and cant get a no win no fee solicitor to deal with it you may have lost simply because you did nothing during the build

If you have nasty neighbours they wont improve so my best advice is move and move now

Uphillmicrobe34

Post by Uphillmicrobe34 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Would we have a right to light issue on the landing opake window as we used to get full sunlight 4pm to 10 pm now we have a slither of sunlight for 30 mins of we are overshadowed by there pitch of the roof , all the other houses get the light if you look down our row of houses

Any thoughts

despair

Post by despair » Sat May 05, 2018 7:39 pm

No because its not a habitable room

Uphillmicrobe34

Post by Uphillmicrobe34 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks , that's totally unfair that shouldn't be allowed

What about overshadowing our kitchen and my sons room as it looses a few hours of sunlight as the house is built 3 metres further out than our property

despair

Post by despair » Sat May 05, 2018 8:52 pm

You needed to address all this long ago with planning dept

You needed to have faced all of these problems long before it got to this state

Either you have legal expenses or you dont
Either you legally own the sideway or you dont

Nothing you have said so far helps

Uphillmicrobe34

Post by Uphillmicrobe34 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:10 pm

We did it wasn't taken in to consideration by the council

To be honest you are very negative towards my issue and not very helpful I am not a fool ,when you are confronted by a gangsters it leaves you in vunerble situation when you have a young family with a new house a no funds or support its been very difficult for us

despair

Post by despair » Sat May 05, 2018 10:52 pm

I realise that and have been in a similar situation
But i was careful to ensure that i always had legal expenses cover on my house insurance usually about £12 if its not already included

I am not a lawyer just someone who uses commonsense ...

This issue is about whether or not you own a strip of land down the side of your house and if when you bought your house you did not establish what exactly is yours
How is anyone expected to help you

Uphillmicrobe34

no sunlight

Post by Uphillmicrobe34 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:50 pm

We get No sunlight after 4pm at the back of our property as a new house has been built next door 3 meters further out then our property with a different pitch roof as well.are we entited to sue for this as it effects our living room my sons room and my extension with a dinner table in there

despair

Re: no sunlight

Post by despair » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Were you advised of the planning
Did you inspect the plans
Did you ibject
Has the house been built according to the plan

Uphillmicrobe34

new house blocking sunlight

Post by Uphillmicrobe34 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:54 pm

We get No sunlight after 4pm at the back of our property its get overshadowed with all the light gone at the back by 6.30 as a new house has been built next door 3 meters further out then our property with a different pitch roof as well.are we entited to sue for this as it effects our living room my sons room and my extension with a dinner table in there

Also how long do we have to raise this as it was built 2015

mr sheen

Re: new house blocking sunlight

Post by mr sheen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Your only chance is proving having gained a right to light over longer than 20years. If you have lived there longer than 20years you will have to prove that light you originally had a right to has been removed.....this is very difficult (read well-nigh impossible) and will be pretty costly to try to prove it. Even if you take them to court and prove loss of light, everyone has to live somewhere and losing light in one property (and it's extension!) at 6.30pm in relation to housing a whole family looks like serious NIMBYISM and will gain little sympathy and, even if you win, short change compensation.

Did you know about the new build? And object during the planning process? All this should have been ironed out during the planning.
Last edited by mr sheen on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.