Extending a garage in a terraced block

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Moomint

Extending a garage in a terraced block

Post by Moomint » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Could anybody please tell me what the planning rules are regarding making an extension to an end garage in a terraced block of garages.

As an example, this image shows 3 garages in a terraced, or shared, block. Should the owner of the garage on the right wish to extend it out toward where the the white van is parked, i.e. into their own garden, what planning permission/restrictions, if any, would be required?

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Extending a garage in a terraced block

Post by MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi Moomint,

Could anybody please tell me what the planning rules are regarding...

yes, your LPA could - and providing you with the information you’re seeking is one of the reasons they exist (and are paid for out of the public purse).

kind regards, Mac

Moomint

Post by Moomint » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Thank you, but I'm not the one extending, I am the owner of one of the other garages in the block.
My neighbour unfortunately has the development bug, and this appears to be an option for them. I was just trying to get some preliminary information before it either begins or I get a planning notice.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Moomint wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:05 pm
Thank you, but I'm not the one extending, I am the owner of one of the other garages in the block.
My neighbour unfortunately has the development bug, and this appears to be an option for them. I was just trying to get some preliminary information before it either begins or I get a planning notice.
my advice still stands - the LPA are there for all, not just prospective applicants.

pilman

Post by pilman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Does the neighbour's curtilage go right up to the wall of the garage block and is the garage part of the registered title for that property?
There are permitted development rights for all house owners in England and Wales.
Out-buildings are allowed under certain conditions, although not in front of a house.
It could be possible to erect a separate garage alongside, but not touching the last one on the right, if that land was part of the curtilage of the neighbour's dwelling, but was not in front of its main elevation that faced a highway.

The photo doesn't show where the garden of that house is located nor whether the house faces a road.

Extending the garage block will require a planning permission granted by the local planning authority in all other circumstances.

Moomint

Post by Moomint » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Thank you for the reply. Please excuse my delay.
pilman wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 pm
Does the neighbour's curtilage go right up to the wall of the garage block and is the garage part of the registered title for that property?
Yes it does/is. In fact, although that photo was just one I found on the web just as an example of a garage block, it's actually quite representative of the actual layout.
pilman wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 pm
Out-buildings are allowed under certain conditions, although not in front of a house.
It could be possible to erect a separate garage alongside, but not touching the last one on the right, if that land was part of the curtilage of the neighbour's dwelling, but was not in front of its main elevation that faced a highway.

The photo doesn't show where the garden of that house is located nor whether the house faces a road.
Interesting. Although the garages are at the front of the house, our properties are at the end of a street tucked away in a corner, so there is not strictly a highway directly in front but rather just the garages and driveways. Our properties are to the right of the garage block but are perpendicular. My neighbour owns the right-hand garage and top most property, so it would be fully within his land.

The hatched green area shows where I suspect any prospective extension or build would go.
ExampleLayout.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pilman

Post by pilman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 am

Looking at the posted plan, it would appear impossible to access such a garage without driving over land in the front garden of the next house.
Is the owner of the second house going to grant a right of way for a vehicle to drive to this location?

Moomint

Post by Moomint » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Ah, apologies for not being clear. The extension won't be for another garage, or to create a double garage, it will be to add more room for storage or a workshop area. So I'm expecting it to be essentially an L shaped garage.

pilman

Post by pilman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:19 am

The full transcript of Class E is shown below and it does seem that because the front of the house, which is its principal elevation, faces towards the side of the existing garage that was granted planning permission at the same time as the rest of the development, there is no permitted development rights that will allow a building on the land between the side of the garage and the front of the house.

This is what paragraph (c) describes as Development Not Permitted.
Class E – buildings etc incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse
Permitted development
E. The provision within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse of—
(a) any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such, or the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of such a building or enclosure; or
(b) a container used for domestic heating purposes for the storage of oil or liquid petroleum gas.
Development not permitted
E.1 Development is not permitted by Class E if—
(a) permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use);
(b) the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the curtilage (other than the original dwellinghouse) would exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse);
(c) any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse;
(d) the building would have more than a single storey;
(e) the height of the building, enclosure or container would exceed—
(i) 4 metres in the case of a building with a dual-pitched roof,
(ii) 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, or
(iii) 3 metres in any other case;
(f) the height of the eaves of the building would exceed 2.5 metres;
(g) the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated within the curtilage of a listed building;
(h) it would include the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform;
(i) it relates to a dwelling or a microwave antenna; or
(j) the capacity of the container would exceed 3,500 litres.
Any building required will need to have a full planning application made so that the local planning authority can decide whether to grant planning permission.

Moomint

Post by Moomint » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

That's very helpful, thank you.

As permission would therefore seem be required, is there different planning law applicable to buildings like this, or even specifically for garages? Or would it essentially be the same guidelines as when dealing with a proposed extension to a property? And would being part of a shared block rather than a detached garage invoke certain guidelines or affect permission in any way?

I may as well also ask this here rather than make a new thread - I understand that you can only build on a certain percentage of the original land, but my question is what counts towards this percentage? Is it only brick structures? or non-moveable structures? (which could include wooden buildings/structures)

I understand that I have been pointed towards an LPA by Macadam, but any knowledge you or anyone else could share here is greatly appreciated.

pilman

Post by pilman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Planning applications are decided on whether the application complies with policies adopted by the local planning authority, which can be found on each council's web-site under the term Local Plan or Local Development Framework.

The adverse effect on the amenity of neighbours is one such criteria, as is overlooking, an overbearing effect on a neighbour's property or over development of the land by located a larger or taller building than is considered suitable.

For permitted development purposes, no more than 50% of the curtilage of a dwelling can be covered in buildings, although the curtilage excludes the land that the dwelling is located on.

The word curtilage has a legal definition, but more often than not the front side and rear garden is the curtilage.
Adding up the area included in front of, alongside and behind the house then dividing by 2 gives an indication of how large a single building can be, or how many smaller buildings can be located within 50% of the total area of curtilage surrounding a house.

The definition of "a building" covers most types of construction including greenhouses, garden sheds, garages, wooden arbors and brick built or log cabin home offices or those fancy modern fully glazed structures to be used as home offices at the back of the garden now being advertised in the trendy magazines.

Moomint

Post by Moomint » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:15 pm

That's great. Thank you very much for your help.