Anyone an expert on Building Regs ?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

despair

Anyone an expert on Building Regs ?

Post by despair » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:41 pm

If a company (who has coveniently ceased trading ) did work on a house whilst covered by several bodies like Stroma etc
and employs a sub contractor to do electrical work but they do not have the required certification to do that work and by incompetance cause a major loss
Is that a breach of building regulations ?

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Re: Anyone an expert on Building Regs ?

Post by IdefixUK » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 pm

Despair,
I might be wrong here but I think that if work is done by someone who cannot self-certify then the building inspectors can certify the work on their behalf for a fee. Ordinarily this would involve the inspector being present from time to time during the works to 'sign off' the work progressively. So to answer your question, yes, either the work should be self-certified (by a competent person) or overseen by the inspectors to ensure that it is up to regs.

despair

Post by despair » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:47 pm

So if no certificate has been issued either by the person who did the work or by the company employing them who are supposed to be correctly registered etc is that a breach of building regs ?

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 pm

I think that if the work has been self certificated then ordinarily the paperwork goes to the owner of the property with a copy to the building control department of the local council to "prove" compliance.