Squatters

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Janieb

Squatters

Post by Janieb » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 pm

This is a weird one. I was the accountant for a local pub and I want it reopened. It is being marketed as a pub. Yesterday squatters broke in and have taken it over. I understand the difference between squatters in commercial property and private property. What happens in this case where the ground floor is commercial and the first and second floors private?
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Re: Squatters

Post by IdefixUK » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Sorry no idea . But a plan of action would be to ring a loud bell outside at 11pm and call time :D
(Showing my age here)
Off topic but...I recall a pub in London where, rather than the usual appearance of a large Alsatian dog behind the bar at closing time, they just turned up the gas fires to maximum and roasted the drinkers out!🍺
Regards

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:59 pm

I would think the whole building would have to now fall under the rules for Squatters in a commercial building. You can bet a pound to a penny, they will know exactly what their rights are, I think you would be best getting proper legal advice, before they stitch you up over a technicality and drag the case out for months.

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 pm

A friend of mine had squatters, he sent some of his work mates round who were window fitters, they said they were there to put the new windows in, the squatters let them in and watched them remove the windows thinking they were getting nice warm new ones. the work men took the windows out and drove off. the squatters left within days.

FilthWizzard

Post by FilthWizzard » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 pm

A bit late now, but FYI if they 'broke' in they cannot possibly be squatters, and if they are squatters they cannot have broken in. Breaking and entering is a criminal offence, call the police and they will take them away in cuffs. Squatters gain entry without force due to an unlocked window/door etc. They never break in, because if they do they cannot squat which is contrary to their goals. Squatters above anyone know the law on this and will be careful as they know what happens if they break in.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:12 pm

FilthWizzard wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 pm
A bit late now, but FYI if they 'broke' in they cannot possibly be squatters, and if they are squatters they cannot have broken in. Breaking and entering is a criminal offence, call the police and they will take them away in cuffs. Squatters gain entry without force due to an unlocked window/door etc. They never break in, because if they do they cannot squat which is contrary to their goals. Squatters above anyone know the law on this and will be careful as they know what happens if they break in.
Squatters do indeed know the law and will say that they came across a broken lock. No proof to say they didn't do it.

FilthWizzard

Post by FilthWizzard » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Yep, as I said, a bit late for this one. You need to catch them on the day they gained entry really so the evidence is clear. For them to claim someone else smashed the lock unobserved then chose to walk away with nothing leaving the property open for the squatter who arrived moments later would not likely establish reasonable doubt. It would be highly unlikely to be enough to stop them getting arrested. Then you can take back the property. They may get off in court, but by then you have the property so who cares?

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi,

I read, many years ago, that there is a big fine for illegal eviction ... but once evicted, the "tenants" do not have a right to re-enter. ???