Who is responsible ... blocked sewer.

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

jonahinoz

Who is responsible ... blocked sewer.

Post by jonahinoz » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi,

My bungalow saga continues. Today, my builder came to extend the kitchen plumbing into the conservatory, so that the washing machine can go move to somewhere more convenient, and the dish-washer can take it's place. He reprted that the leak behehind thev washing machine, discussed previously, was due to the supply hose not being fitted properly, as well as being badly kinked by the removal men.

On returning from taking the pooch for a walk, I was met by a minor flood of water coming down the drive. This was due to both machines being tested at the same time. The builder knocked of for the day, saying he would return tomorrow. In the event, he returned after tea, with a set of rods.

Long story short ... the inspection chamber, about three feet deep was brimming with "stinky soup" The rods hit a faily solid blockage twenty-one metres down the drive. The length of connected rods were laid along the drive, and it was obvious that the blockage was under the public highway, close to the opposite kerb. Mine is the last house on my side of the road, indicated by it being the only one, in my row, with a stench pipe sticking out of the roof, but it is opposite the second to last on the other side. My first impression is that my house is at the top of my hill, but it is not impossible that the main sewer runs down the road that crosses the end of my road. But to my eyes, this is unlikely. My solicitors did not give me a drainage map when we bought this house in August.

Whatever, as the blockage is under the public highway, and therefore beyond my front boundary, who is reponsible for clearing the blockege? I think I know, but would like my thoughts confirmed.

John W

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Who is responsible ... blocked sewer.

Post by ukmicky » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:51 am

Its under the highway so its not you.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:20 am

Its under the highway so its not you.

Hi UKMickey,

Thanks for that. It's what I thought, but wanted reasurance before throwing a hissy fit (if a polite approach did not provoke a quick result).

The claw on the end of my builder's rods produced a few scraps of tough material, either a VERY tough paper, or fabric, or plastic ...we were all reluctant to examine it closely, but I'm confident that it is nothing we have disposed of.

In the Swansea Valley, c.1990, I'd just phone the council if there was a blockage in the pipe that crossed my front garden. A few minutes later, an itinerant tanker(huge) would come round the corner, unreel a hose, poke it down the drain, and switch on the water propulsion jets. The hose would shoot down the drain, spinning thre reel, and ram it's way through the blockage, Big gurgle. Driver would reel in the hose and depart. I was never charged.

despair

Post by despair » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:30 am

Sewers are now responsibility of the water supply companies ...the most likely cause of the blockage is those stupid wet wipes they clam can be flushed but actually they catch on any rough joint or whatever and then everything else binds to them like glue

Experienced that situation caused by another very stupid resident
Last edited by despair on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi,

I looked up my LA website for Blocked Sewers. It directed me to Anglia Water. I phoned AW at about 08.30. Nice lady said someone would call within 24 hours. In the event, their man knocked on the door a about 13.00, and had departed by 13.30.

There was no mention of money.

Er ... yes ... I found an unwrapped, but unused, "lady pad" behind the bathroom radiator.

Many thanks.

John W

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:45 am

had a similar situation, the utilities company came and blasted the "soup" away, i too was awaiting a bill, as nothing seems to be free these days, but several months later no bill has arrived. so i think you should be ok John. A friend of mine who works for the local water company said they are quite keen, to say the least, to keep our aged sewage system flowing and come out to calls like ours constantly, but they dont like coming to the same residence repeatedly.

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:35 am

Hi Liveinpeace,

My understanding, confirmed by this forum, is that as soon as my drain crosses a boundary, either into my neighbours drain, or under the road, it becomes a public drain, and the responsibility of the Water Autority.

My sewers were backing up (brimming), but my buider assertained that the blockage was the other side of the road. I told Anglia Water that their drain was blocked, and allowed them to access it via my rodding point. Once they had cleared their blockage, my drains suddenly cleared themselves. It sounded like somebody had dropped a depth charge down my WC. So we both gained by co-operating. :roll:

John W

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:36 am

PS.

Anglia Water have a 24 hour emergency phone number

John W

FrTed

Post by FrTed » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 pm

My experience is that we were responsible for the foul drain up to the drop pipe connecting to the main sewer.

This meant that we were responsible for the cost of the repair digging up the road to rectify the issue.

If the drain is shared with more than one property then it (now) becomes a public sewer and is the responsibility of the local water authority. If its a sole property my understanding is it remains a private sewer (and the users responsibility)
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:28 pm

FrTed wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 pm
My experience is that we were responsible for the foul drain up to the drop pipe connecting to the main sewer.

This meant that we were responsible for the cost of the repair digging up the road to rectify the issue.

If the drain is shared with more than one property then it (now) becomes a public sewer and is the responsibility of the local water authority. If its a sole property my understanding is it remains a private sewer (and the users responsibility)
Both lateral drains and sewers come under the responsibility of the local water authority . Anything that sits under the highway is the responsibility of the local water authority. So if you paid I would be asking questions as to why.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Totaly Amazed

Post by Totaly Amazed » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 pm

AW are very good, we've had them out. If you have an old house about pre 1930 something you don't have to pay for the pipe under your land either.

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Information for Anglian Water customers here, regarding blocked drains. https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/househol ... rains.aspx

As a rule of thumb, once a drain serving ONE property goes over the boundary line of that property, or joins a sewer serving at least one other property, then it from that point, becomes the Sewerage provider's asset and responsibility.

From the description, I'd hazard a guess the issue was wipes. Horrible things that should never be flushed down a WC, even though some manufacturers claim they are 'flushable'. They are very tough, will not break down, or decompose in the network, and cause absolute carnage in the sewers, blocking pipes, pumps, and even the screens installed at the treatment works to remove the wretched things. Perhaps the manufacturers should be levied for the cost of dealing with them, rather than the consumer as a whole.