Max. shed height?

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

JohnP1950

Max. shed height?

Post by JohnP1950 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Can anyone explain the planning law on shed heights please? I have read that sheds over 2.5 high require planning consent if they are closer than 2m to the boundary. Does this mean the part of the shed that is over 2.5m high mustn't be within the 2m, or does it mean that no part of the shed can be within 2m of the boundary? (It has a ridge roof running parallel to the fence.)

jonahinoz

Re: Max. shed height?

Post by jonahinoz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:15 am

Does this mean the part of the shed that is over 2.5m high mustn't be within the 2m, or does it mean that no part of the shed can be within 2m of the boundary?

Hi John P,

My understanding is that if a shed is more than 2.5m high, at any point, then no part of the shed may be less than 2m from the boundary. The height 0f the shed is measured from ground level at the highest point above sea level, immediately adjacent to the shed. I think that means if you garden slopes towards the boundary, the wider the shed is, the higher it can be next to the boundary.

I find it strange that a fence on a boundary may only be 2m high, but a a shed next to a boundary may be 2.5m high, and a house exension may be even higher.

Of course that is for permitted development. If you want to go higher, you could make a planning application.

John W

Eliza

Post by Eliza » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:09 pm

jonahinoz wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:15 am
Does this mean the part of the shed that is over 2.5m high mustn't be within the 2m, or does it mean that no part of the shed can be within 2m of the boundary?

Hi John P,

My understanding is that if a shed is more than 2.5m high, at any point, then no part of the shed may be less than 2m from the boundary. The height 0f the shed is measured from ground level at the highest point above sea level, immediately adjacent to the shed. I think that means if you garden slopes towards the boundary, the wider the shed is, the higher it can be next to the boundary.

I find it strange that a fence on a boundary may only be 2m high, but a a shed next to a boundary may be 2.5m high, and a house exension may be even higher.

Of course that is for permitted development. If you want to go higher, you could make a planning application.

John W
That's what I took the meaning of that to be when I put a garden shed in my garden. So, if my shed (ie any part of my shed) had been more than 2.5 metres high, then I would have had to site it further from the boundary. It would then have been a toss-up as to whether to do so regardless (knowing that nfh next door would almost certainly know and complain) v. nfh doesn't exactly have much grounds for saying anything (due to the fact they've "been up to" things they shouldnt themselves). But I did think nfh might be hypocrite enough to complain anyway. When I checked out the height of the shed I wanted, it turned out to be lower than 2.5 metres high anyway and so there wasn't a problem and I put it exactly where I wanted to.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....

despair

Post by despair » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:13 pm

The whole thing is crazy because same neighbour could install deciduous trees or hedges slam up to the boundary and grow to any height

JohnP1950

Post by JohnP1950 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Yes, it does seem crazy. If it's interpreted that way, you could butt together two sheds, one exactly 2.5m and one higher, making the same overall profile provided their junction wasn't closer than 2m to the boundary.