Private messages stuck in outbox

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

peacemaker

Private messages stuck in outbox

Post by peacemaker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:19 am

Apologies for starting this thread but as per the title, I'm unable to even message an administrator. Is there a reason why messages are stuck in my outbox instead of being sent?

arborlad

Re: Private messages stuck in outbox

Post by arborlad » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 am

arborlad

smile...it confuses people

gardenlaw
Site Admin
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by gardenlaw » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:18 am

Messages are not stuck there. The outbox is where messages go before they are read by the person receiving the pm. Once it has been read by the recipient the pm will be moved to the sent box. This allows you to edit or delete the message before it has been read if need be.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:52 am

gardenlaw wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:18 am
Messages are not stuck there. The outbox is where messages go before they are read by the person receiving the pm. Once it has been read by the recipient the pm will be moved to the sent box. This allows you to edit or delete the message before it has been read if need be.

Not sure what to make of this response, it's quite clear that you are the intended recipient of this PM but less clear whether you have received or read it.

The OP has been having this issue since October: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21354&p=209392#p209392

I can't help but wonder if you or the OP will get a notification of this post.............
arborlad

gardenlaw
Site Admin

Post by gardenlaw » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:54 am

gardenlaw wrote:

You're missing the point..............
arborlad

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 am

Did this get sorted?
arborlad

gardenlaw
Site Admin

Post by gardenlaw » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Yes!

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 pm

gardenlaw wrote:

This is either plain wrong, or at least counterintuitive - and yes I've read the link.

Yesterday I composed a PM, checked it, then pressed 'send', I get a message, this message has been sent and then I see the PM I have just sent but no opportunity to edit or delete the 'sent' message - that's gone.
arborlad

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri May 31, 2019 9:11 am

arborlad wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 pm
gardenlaw wrote:

This is either plain wrong, or at least counterintuitive - and yes I've read the link.

Yesterday I composed a PM, checked it, then pressed 'send', I get a message, this message has been sent and then I see the PM I have just sent but no opportunity to edit or delete the 'sent' message - that's gone.

................meant to add, the above is how it has always worked for me, I'm assuming it is the same for other members?
arborlad

Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope » Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 pm

arborlad wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:11 am

................meant to add, the above is how it has always worked for me, I'm assuming it is the same for other members?

Not for me - exactly as the OP describes.
I tried sending a PM to arborlad, pressed Send, at the top of the message it displays a Sent time, but the message remains in my Outbox and is not in my Sent box.
I don't know whether arborlad has received a notification that there is a message for him to view stuck in my outbox, but I doubt it somehow. If that's really how the system is meant to work it's a very peculiar one.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri May 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 pm
arborlad wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:11 am

Not for me - exactly as the OP describes.
I tried sending a PM to arborlad, pressed Send, at the top of the message it displays a Sent time, but the message remains in my Outbox and is not in my Sent box.
I don't know whether arborlad has received a notification that there is a message for him to view stuck in my outbox, but I doubt it somehow. If that's really how the system is meant to work it's a very peculiar one.

Hmmm - I've got two notifications, one for this thread and one for a PM - which I haven't opened yet..............let's see what changes once I do...............now read PM..............
arborlad

Clifford Pope

Post by Clifford Pope » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:59 am

You are right -the PM has gone, moved from "stuck in Outbox" to Sent.
So that's how it works - messages remain stuck indefinitely unless released by the intended recipient's response to the notification.

It's useful to know, but still seems a bit odd - like the postman leaving a note to say he has a letter for you, which if you ask him, he will then deliver.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:26 am

Clifford Pope wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:59 am
You are right -the PM has gone, moved from "stuck in Outbox" to Sent.
So that's how it works - messages remain stuck indefinitely unless released by the intended recipient's response to the notification.

It's useful to know, but still seems a bit odd - like the postman leaving a note to say he has a letter for you, which if you ask him, he will then deliver.

I've always thought the way it worked for me is the way it worked for everybody - obviously not.
arborlad

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:06 am

Has anyone had any contact with Admin recently?
arborlad