Playhouse (similar to shed)

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Gegebabies

Playhouse (similar to shed)

Post by Gegebabies » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi all

Hoping you can help, or at least offer some advice. We’ve been building over the last few weeks what looks on the outside to be a standard apex shed but is actually going to be a playhouse for my daughters for Christmas. All going very well until a neighbour threw a letter in my door asking me to phone her. I’m the last house on our road so the side of my garden is the bottom of the garden for 4 houses who back on us all houses where build in 1930s with various different ground levels on a slope.

The playhouse measures 10ft x 12ft and has internal square meter of just under 12. The eaves on our neighbours side are 2.37 and to the rest of garden 2.48. The overal height at the point in middle is 2.78m.... we are unfortunately just over 1m away and now the full 2m. It was a total miscalculation on our part. I should point out at this point a number of other sheds/workhouses in the area are significantly bigger than ours and on the boundary.

Neighbours daughter who I called was exceptionally aggressive. Ordered us to stop and didn’t want to view this at bottom of her garden (the fence at this point due to raised ground level on both sides is probably 4ft), attempted to be reasonable and offered to make adjustments which we did and reduced the overal height. Anyway never got back to me after I left a message and has now complained to council.

Council came out to view Monday and have informed us I can move it just under 1m away and perfectly fine within permitted development (and could make overal height 4m) or adjust roof so it’s flat across waves to 2.5m

I don’t really want to do either. What’s the chance of success appealing an enforcement action? Is it even wise?

mr sheen

Re: Playhouse (similar to shed)

Post by mr sheen » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Are you asking how you can avoid obeying the rules that everyone else has to abide by, and that have been introduced for the benefit of society?

The Council have been helpful and reasonable and the adjustments they have advised are in fact minimal and reasonable. Complying will maintain relations between you and the Council and should calm the neighbour issues and hence is the route most reasonable people would take.

If you choose to ignore the council, that will force the Council to use Council Tax payers hard earned cash on enforcing this rather than caring for elderly and disabled people or homing the homeless and providing services to children at risk. Some councils aggressively pursue every planning infringement whereas others don't.

Gegebabies

Post by Gegebabies » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm

I understand that.. it’s my fault that I’ve misread the guidance... I was under impression it was 1m not 2m. The distance we’ve actually gone from boundary is 1.25m so essentially we’d need to move it 75cm, but they said we could raise it to 4m high on dual pitch roof which to me would be more of an issue to neighbour.

We’ve had nothing to do with the neighbours there since we moved in 9 years ago. And it wasn’t the actual neighbour but her daughter... apparently she is renowned for complaining at everyone who does anything near her mums garden (one of the neighbours used somevery impolite language to describe her) and whilst I understand that the rules are there to make everyone’s home life more enjoyable... a number of neighbours both to the back and sides of me have actually gone bigger than ours and are sitting right on the boundary. Some are new (within 4 years of any potential enforcement) and some are long-standing. Whilst I’m not totally against the idea of moving it, I’m loathed to do so given there are lots of examples within vicinity that have gone closer and not subject to council possible enforcing minor breach at 20cm. Does that make sense?

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi Gegebabies,

that’s a fair sized playhouse...

what are the reasons you want to leave in situ?

kind regards, Mac

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:38 am

Your reasons for being 'loathed' to make the minor alterations requested seem to relate to getting one over on the neighbour which is not a reasonable reason. The playhouse is large and the adjustments will make no difference to the amount of playing space, so the easiest and most reasonable outcome is to comply with the Council's requirements so that no-one can then complain about the playhouse.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 am

No point appealing enforcement action when, if you want, you can apply for PP.

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi there,
Have you thought about digging away a bit of soil from the area where you wish to place the playhouse to make the roof line lower in relation the general ground level. It doesn't seem that you would need to dig so far and you could use the soil to make a raised garden or rockery elsewhere on your property. Put it to the building inspector from the council in case there are some obscure regulations which might prevent this.(I have had a brief look on Tinterweb and I can find nothing to stop you, I don't suppose this amount would be considered to be engineering works)
I recall some friends of my parents' method of digging a pond. They invited all their friends around to a bring-a-barrow party. Each barrow filled and moved earned a glass of wine or a beer from the hosts. Progress was brisk initially but inevitably slowed somewhat as the day progressed! Nevertheless job done.

Regards

Gegebabies

Post by Gegebabies » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi all

Sorry I’ve not had a chance. I didn’t want to apply for planning permission as council stated they wouldn’t support it therefore it was likely to get rejected and it would delay the same likely outcome. The principle of moving it isn’t as worrysome as I first though (my I ital concern was that my dad who built it had screwed it into the concrete base) but he said we could get round that. I’d need time to prepare the ground though as the concrete doesn’t reach that far and we’ve got a garden which has a significant slope.

We’ve now just had a phone call from council (still waiting the reasons why they wouldn’t support a planning application) saving the neighbours have now removed their complaint given we’ve adjested the height from the first phase of the build (which when they asked if we would do this We agreeded to do). They’ve asked us to stain it dark brown which I’m against as its natural Canadian pine and we’ve bought clear stain as a result. The woman from the council informed them we were looking at getting a 2m fence and they would prefer us not to do this (however we will in summer as I’d prefer not to be overlooked) even if we do this solely on our side. I asked given the complaint had now been withdrew what would likely happen given I’m only 75cm too close and should we move it this would fall within permitted development. And as we are within 2m whilst I appreciate we are on a dual pitch 27cm to high, within the actual 2m distance the height is 2.58m but she wasn’t sure and needed to speak to the planning team. I suppose I’m just worried as I don’t particularly fancy decorating and finishing it whilst we’re in limbo. I’d appreciate your thoughts?

Thanks very much
Last edited by Gegebabies on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gegebabies

Post by Gegebabies » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Ps it’s not at all about getting one over on neighbours. Essentially it has a split level in the inside (each at just 1.1m so they can have a pretend upstairs room and reducing the overall height would mean less head space up there. I’d rather move it

Gegebabies

Post by Gegebabies » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:14 am

Bump