General binding rules: GBR small sewage discharge to a surface water

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Paddock

Re: General binding rules: GBR small sewage discharge to a surface water

Post by Paddock » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm

A bit more email ping pong with the EA over the last two weeks. Bit of a lag while the officer consults 'legal' each time.

They seem to be saying they will only grant me a permit for discharge on condition I accept the responsibility to upgrade the tank at the end of the year.

I've said that this is obviously not what I wanted. I wanted to make the neighbours who use it responsible for sorting it out.

I've said that 'legal' seem to be saying that unless everyone involved in a multi user system voluntarily accepts responsibility then they cannot hold any one or group of individuals within the system responsible? If so, how will they ever enforce the new legislation on multi user systems?

Left them to think about that...

Paddock

Paddock

Re: General binding rules: GBR small sewage discharge to a surface water

Post by Paddock » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:31 pm

The final part of this chapter of the saga is that the EA decided that this cannot be dealt with via their permit process.

They suggested my course of action, (if the neighbours do not do anything in the meantime), is to report it to the EA incident department on 1st January 2020. On that date the discharge of untreated domestic sewage to the environment becomes a criminal offence.

The incident department will then roll forward with it using their normal policies and processes for dealing with illegal environmental things.

So, back to sleep for 6 months!

Paddock