General binding rules: GBR small sewage discharge to a surface water

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Paddock

Re: General binding rules: GBR small sewage discharge to a surface water

Post by Paddock » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm

A bit more email ping pong with the EA over the last two weeks. Bit of a lag while the officer consults 'legal' each time.

They seem to be saying they will only grant me a permit for discharge on condition I accept the responsibility to upgrade the tank at the end of the year.

I've said that this is obviously not what I wanted. I wanted to make the neighbours who use it responsible for sorting it out.

I've said that 'legal' seem to be saying that unless everyone involved in a multi user system voluntarily accepts responsibility then they cannot hold any one or group of individuals within the system responsible? If so, how will they ever enforce the new legislation on multi user systems?

Left them to think about that...

Paddock

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:31 pm

The final part of this chapter of the saga is that the EA decided that this cannot be dealt with via their permit process.

They suggested my course of action, (if the neighbours do not do anything in the meantime), is to report it to the EA incident department on 1st January 2020. On that date the discharge of untreated domestic sewage to the environment becomes a criminal offence.

The incident department will then roll forward with it using their normal policies and processes for dealing with illegal environmental things.

So, back to sleep for 6 months!

Paddock

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Sent the neighbours a 3 month warning / reminder email along the lines 'surprised I haven't heard from you, will be involving the EA directly in 3 months time'. No response ...

Copying everything to my solicitor now as it looks like this will be done the hard way eventually.

Paddock.

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:06 pm

I cannot see how you could be held anyway responsible for this septic tank. It is merely located on/under your property, you are neither jointly or separately an 'operator' as the EA require, so I would just sit back now and let the EA and your Neighbours argue it out next year.

My main concern right now would be checking what, if any right the neighbours have under any easement or deed, to upgrade the existing or install any new tank/treatment plant within your curtilage. If the existing tank is no longer fit for purpose and a new system is required, the neighbours need to be putting it on their own property!

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:38 pm

There was an update to the GBR published yesterday.

It looks like it has been revised to make it clear everyone needs to do something. The update title says;

25 October 2019
We’ve updated this guide. Your discharge must not cause pollution. If you have a septic tank that discharges directly to a watercourse you need to take action as soon as possible to make sure you meet requirements.

For the first time it talks about enforcement action being taken if there is non compliance. EG in the introductory section it now says ;

If your discharge causes pollution you may be committing an offence. The Environment Agency will give you advice to help you fix the problem. If your discharge continues to cause pollution the Environment Agency may take enforcement action against you.

The link to the updated GBR is here ;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-bin ... face-water

Paddock

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:01 pm

I noticed something else about the latest update. It no longer says you have to do anything by 1st January 2020. It now says you must do something 'as soon as possible' and 'you must have a plan in place to do something within 12 months'

So not sure if the deadline has been moved forward to now or moved back to 25th October 2020!

The EA guidance losing the 1st Jan 2002 date It might be because Tank companies are now inundated with enquiries and cannot meet the original deadlines, or they realise people are doing nothing until they are forced to, or both?

Anyway, on the basis the neighbours have done nothing and have no plan to do anything within 12 months I have decided not to wait until 1st Jan 2020 to report the matter to the EA incident department. Have done it now and let them tell me when the appropriate date is!

Will see what happens ...

Paddock

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Well nothing happened!

I have phoned the EA and they do have my incident number and someone should be getting back to me.

In the meantime there have been a lot of blogs, newsletters etc from various interested parties. See the attached from the Country Landowners Association and page six of this link that is too big to attach. https://www.clarkewillmott.com/news/fie ... tmas-2019/

It deals with what you have to do legally if your tank is on someone else land.

Will update as and when...

Happy New Year

Paddock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:48 pm

And you article tells you what I’ve told you, you are not an operator .

As you are not an operator you need do nothing. So forget about it and enjoy life.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:54 pm

ukmicky wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:48 pm
And you article tells you what I’ve told you, you are not an operator .

As you are not an operator you need do nothing. So forget about it and enjoy life.
Thanks for your concern ukmickey. I do enjoy life. :D

My motivation for resolving this unequivocally as soon as possible is that I will probably want to sell my house in a few years time. If potential buyers are put off if this is unresolved then this will cause a crisis in my personal life at that point.

Therefore, I want the relevant bodies to take action long before it comes to that.

Paddock

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Looks like other people are beginning to run into problems about this topic .....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sh ... ght=septic

Paddock

Paddock

Post by Paddock » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:44 am

A short update to this is the EA told me about a month ago they had written to the neighbours telling them they need to upgrade their systems. No contact from the neighbours as yet. I will chase up the EA at regular intervals!

Meanwhile, questions are being asked in parliament about this topic! https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?i ... .h&s=waste

Paddock