Development of a studio built in a garden

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Development of a studio built in a garden

Post by ukmicky » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 am

Someone from Council planning also came to check the site. The Council has a clear-cut, but recent policy that you cannot excavate a second basement under an existing basement. But the planner did not know what defines a basement, although this borough has thousands. He believes that if there is a garden at the back, or a gulley at the side, it is not a basement - even when it is way below pavement level. .
He is correct if the rear of the existing lower level is near to rear garden height .

Camden only allow single level basements but in 2017 just after they brought in their local policy my sons godfather when he retired was allowed to go down a second level against the street as the rear of the existing lower level was near to rear garden height.

Camden and so I assume all other councils class a lower level where the rear is near to garden height as a lower ground level and not a basement.

As it was in Camden new level increased the value of his home by half a million which he then sold and moved to Devon .
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Chunga

Post by Chunga » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Well Hammersmith & Fulham does not allow double basements. The studio does not have a garden as it has filled the garden space. Its floor is already at the same level as all the basements in the same street, but the African developer has already dug down two metres below the existing floor. I do not think that there can be any serious doubt that the plan is for a new double basement, with a dungeon at the bottom.

Perhaps it is not surprising that the planners are so confused. The developer has now put in three plans simultaneously which differ only in the number of large windows to be installed in the raised roof. The planners do not think that they can fail to determine these. He also hopes to make £1m out of 33 square metres.

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Chunga wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm
Well Hammersmith & Fulham does not allow double basements. The studio does not have a garden as it has filled the garden space. Its floor is already at the same level as all the basements in the same street, but the African developer has already dug down two metres below the existing floor. I do not think that there can be any serious doubt that the plan is for a new double basement, with a dungeon at the bottom.
Does your neighbour have a quadcopter? Or was Rosenberg having us all on?

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi Chunga,

I think anyone reading this thread will have understood that the developer is African so please stop referencing this point - is he a tall developer? middle-aged developer? slim developer?

kind regards, Mac

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:35 pm
Hi Chunga,

I think anyone reading this thread will have understood that the developer is African so please stop referencing this point - is he a tall developer? middle-aged developer? slim developer?

kind regards, Mac
It had made me rather uncomfortable as well.

ukmicky

Post by ukmicky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Chunga wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Perhaps it is not surprising that the planners are so confused. The developer has now put in three plans simultaneously which differ only in the number of large windows to be installed in the raised roof. The planners do not think that they can fail to determine these. He also hopes to make £1m out of 33 square metres.
As I’ve said A room is not a basement simply because it’s below street level and it’s also not a basement simply because it’s at the same level of basements on the same street.

So forgetting about the street out front and other basements , if the garden had not been filled in ,would the original untouched lower floor of the property be at any point near to the the same level of the ground to the rear or side of the property .

On the original untouched studio If there was a door on the studio to the rear or sides could someone have walked out of the door into the garden without climbing up a set of steps . If there would need to be steps whatvwould the height difference between the garden on floor of the studio be.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Chunga

Post by Chunga » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am

No

Hammersmith and Fulham defines this as a basement.

I do not wish to name the Developer because he has already assaulted a planner and a neighbour and threatened to sue the Council. He has had two bankruptcies and two High Court Actions.

Chunga

Post by Chunga » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 am

Notting Hill Housing Trust whose four storey building with a basement (as defined by Hammersmith & Fulham in its 2019 planning document modeled on Kensington & Chelsea) has been undermined by 2m of excavation has been refused access to its party wall surveyor. Can anything be done?

Three simultaneous and very similar plans are in front of the council. They differ only in the number of large conservatory windows in the roof. Creditors and objectors are unaware because the development is listed as the basement flat in my house and forms in duplicate posted on the lamp-post on the pavement out of site of the studio.

Can anything be done?

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
Hi Chunga,

kind regards, Mac

To be fair to the OP, with over 40 posts and barely two or three that mention this - I don't think you're correct.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:35 am

arborlad wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 am
MacadamB53 wrote:
Hi Chunga,

kind regards, Mac

To be fair to the OP, with over 40 posts and barely two or three that mention this - I don't think you're correct.
false logic at its best....

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:35 am
arborlad wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 am
MacadamB53 wrote:
Hi Chunga,

kind regards, Mac

false logic at its best....

Eh.............
arborlad

Collaborate

Post by Collaborate » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 am

It is entirely unnecessary to reference where the neighbour comes from.

Also, reference to the neighbour having "African values" is equally inappropriate.

ukmicky

Post by ukmicky » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Chunga wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am
No

Hammersmith and Fulham defines this as a basement
So why did the planner say this when he came to you if it had no bearing on the neighbours site.
He believes that if there is a garden at the back, or a gulley at the side, it is not a basement - even when it is way below pavement level. .
Btw after looking at planning guidance it seems it may be a national planning policy no matter what the council.

alyson
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by alyson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:56 am

So, if the planning permission being sought for the wrong address then surely the permission (if granted) will not be for the development in question but for a non existent development on your property so there will never be permission for the developer’s address?

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Chunga wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 am
Notting Hill Housing Trust whose four storey building with a basement (as defined by Hammersmith & Fulham in its 2019 planning document modeled on Kensington & Chelsea) has been undermined by 2m of excavation has been refused access to its party wall surveyor. Can anything be done?

That's a relatively large HA so should have an experienced, senior surveyor, it doesn't bode well if he hasn't the nouse to gain access or prevent unauthorised works.
arborlad