Development of a studio built in a garden

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Morgan Sweet

Re: Development of a studio built in a garden

Post by Morgan Sweet » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:39 am

Collaborate wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 am
It is entirely unnecessary to reference where the neighbour comes from.

Also, reference to the neighbour having "African values" is equally inappropriate.
Having worked on the Accra Docks Project in the early 1980s, I am not so sure; paying 'dash' to all in sundry was common place (and expected) including the 'Officials'. In fact I even had to attend a briefing on 'the way it works out there' before I got my Ghanaian Visa. This is NOT a criticism of another continent, every culture has its own way of getting things done, although I am more comfortable with my own culture's way of doing things. It is just an observation that there are different values in different parts of the world. I worked alongside many fine Ghanaians but there was a very different culture in Africa.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:19 pm

Morgan Sweet wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:39 am
Collaborate wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 am
It is entirely unnecessary to reference where the neighbour comes from.

Also, reference to the neighbour having "African values" is equally inappropriate.
Having worked on the Accra Docks Project in the early 1980s, I am not so sure; paying 'dash' to all in sundry was common place (and expected) including the 'Officials'. In fact I even had to attend a briefing on 'the way it works out there' before I got my Ghanaian Visa. This is NOT a criticism of another continent, every culture has its own way of getting things done, although I am more comfortable with my own culture's way of doing things. It is just an observation that there are different values in different parts of the world. I worked alongside many fine Ghanaians but there was a very different culture in Africa.
so do you have any advice for the OP?

Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:05 pm

No I'll leave that to you, but I do have empathy. Dealing with some people from cultures that have different values than what we regard as acceptable can be a challenge.

That is NOT to pass judgement on other cultures, just to accept that they can have different ways of doing things.

Chunga

Post by Chunga » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:06 pm

The developer has now got hold of the names, addresses and phone numbers of objectors. He has sent intimidating letters and made intimidating phone calls. He has threatened to sue the planning lawyer for libel. He has threatened to "take the head off" one of the planners. People with small children and old people are frightened by him.

I feel that as someone who was born outside of the UK, I can safely state that this does not represent typical English values.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Chunga wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:06 pm

I feel that as someone who was born outside of the UK, I can safely state that this does not represent typical English values.
Unfortunately with the current state of public debate (particularly on social media) I can't be as certain as you.

Hopefully the police will get involved, as offences have been committed.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:11 am

Chunga wrote:
The developer has now got hold of the names, addresses and phone numbers of objectors. He has sent intimidating letters and made intimidating phone calls. He has threatened to sue the planning lawyer for libel. He has threatened to "take the head off" one of the planners. People with small children and old people are frightened by him.

You're in the unenviable situation where your deeply unpleasant neighbour is one individual against a fragmented and divided force - and I can't see anything changing!
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

SwitchRich

Post by SwitchRich » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Chunga wrote:
He has sent intimidating letters and made intimidating phone calls. He has threatened to "take the head off" one of the planners.
This has moved from civil to criminal law.

Aborlads last comment about it being one against a fragmented and divided force also highlights the issue.
Do you not have everyone's email address? Why have you not created a WhatsApp group of the people that have been harassed? You have the technology and by the sounds of it the numbers to place this guy under total surveillance when he is around.

You should collect all intimidating letters, note down all threats especially the violent threat of decapitation all in a single complaint to the police. Get a restraining order setup where he's not able to come withing 1km of the group of people he has previously threatened. If you are not acting in union with all your neighbours then he can pick you off one by one.

It's true this is horrible for you but until you unite the people being bullied and harassed against this guy, then you run the risk he might win and succeed with his plans.
Take action!

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi Chunga,

how does the fact you were born outside of the UK mean you are therefore an authority on “typical” English values?!?

confused regards, Mac

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:13 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:37 pm
Hi Chunga,

how does the fact you were born outside of the UK mean you are therefore an authority on “typical” English values?!?

confused regards, Mac

What point are you trying to make?
arborlad

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:03 am

arborlad wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:13 am
MacadamB53 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:37 pm
Hi Chunga,

confused regards, Mac

ditto

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:10 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:03 am

confused regards, Mac

[/quote]ditto
[/quote]

The question was directed at you..............
arborlad

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:17 am

arborlad wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:10 am
MacadamB53 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:03 am

confused regards, Mac

ditto
[/quote]

The question was directed at you..............
[/quote]...and my question was directed at the OP

Chunga

Post by Chunga » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm

The Metropolitan police response to any request for assistance short of murder is "it is a civil matter." Our local cemetery has become a drug market in broad daylight.

It seems that you may need proof of at least two cases of intimidation to the same person, threatening violence, before they will take notice.

The MP is genuinely concerned and we are collecting evidence. The Council does not admit that it leaked names, addresses and some phone numbers of objectors. Although we do have proof since some people objected from abnormal addresses, because they expected something like this to happen.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:22 am

Chunga wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm
The MP is genuinely concerned and we are collecting evidence. The Council does not admit that it leaked names, addresses and some phone numbers of objectors. Although we do have proof since some people objected from abnormal addresses, because they expected something like this to happen.

I have thought for some time that he has a family member or similar - on the 'inside'.
arborlad

Chunga

Post by Chunga » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:57 pm

At the outset, it did look as though the planners were friendly, to the developer. One wanted to pass the fourth or fifth application. The planner responsible for conservation area rules did not even make a comment. Both were roundly condemned at the Appeal Hearing which rejected two very similar versions of the plan, after the Planning committee had unanimously rejected them.

Since the decapitation threat, the planners have become much more friendly to some 60 objectors than to the developer. But the department now seems to be besieged - the Developer is now appealing a submission, on which no official view has yet been given. The in-house lawyer may have told the planners that they must consider every application, even if submitted three at a time with minor variations, such as the number of windows.(The developer borrows or rents a drafting machine and runs off new plans with dozens of errors - which the planners ignore). Can this be right?