Parking and obstructions

This forum is for Garden Law problems that don't fit into the other categories. Please treat it with respect.

Moderator: Angelisle

Fairclough
Number of Posts per Page: 15
Number of topics per page: 100

Parking and obstructions

Post by Fairclough » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:32 pm

I know this is not strictly garden law, but I wondered whether anyone can give me any tips on how to stop neighbours (one neighbour in particular) parking in front of my drive.

I live in a road which is fairly long and perfectly straight - about half-way down. All houses have off-road parking, which is generally filled to capacity, so a few householders and their visitors also park on the road as well. Most are considerate and park in front of their own drives, but the ones living two doors from me just park wherever they want to.

I know our mutual neighbour (who is an unpleasant and confrontational man anyway) has 'had words' with them about blocking his drive, so now their visitors often park in front of mine instead. I have had to ask them to move on numerous occasions. I usually get a half-soaked and grudging apology as though they are surprised that I need them to move. (They sound like they have the IQ of a sloth, but apparently they are a family teachers.) They do reluctantly move, but it takes them ages to finish the conversation they are having with their friends/relatives, find their keys and toddle out to their car - by which time I have been delayed for 5 or 10 minutes.

Years ago, we used to have similar problems with the aforementioned 'unpleasant and confrontational' next door neighbour, but that only stopped after I woke him to move his car at 3am one night (things had already got nasty in other respects anyway - but that's a different story). I don't particularly want things to get unpleasant with these neighbours as well, but it's really not fair for them to unnecessarily, and repeatedly delay me through their thoughtless parking - particularly when they have space in front of their own drive in which to park.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

despair

Re: Parking and obstructions

Post by despair » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Oh boy ...do i remember that scenario...used to have a long single width drive in a cul de sac
One neighbour with a minute drive often hosted big parties for Round Table
Well one evening needing to be at work 30 miles away for 10.30pm i found 3 cars parked on my drive
The kerfuffle and drunken idiots who certainly did not hurry or have decency to apologise eventually reversed out of my drive only to drive back in when i exited

You can bet there was a real set to the next morining at 5.30am when i got home

Fairclough

Post by Fairclough » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:32 pm

They were actually parking ON your drive? That hasn't happened in my case, fortunately. If it had, I'd be straight on to the police (although if past experience with them is anything to go by, I'm not sure it would do any good). I hope you managed to put a stop to it permanently despair.

despair

Post by despair » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Yup moved to peace and quiet for 20 years and several wonderful neighbours till biggest bullies on earth moved in one side and other side started senility

Far far too expensive to move now so sticking pins in voodoo dolls has to suffice

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 pm

You can only control property in your control and roads are not. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do in relation to parking on a public road as long as they do not block your egress from your driveway. Sometimes the Council or equivalent put in parking restrictions but if there are none then parking on a public road is a free for all.

Fairclough

Post by Fairclough » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:13 am

mr sheen wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 pm
You can only control property in your control and roads are not. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do in relation to parking on a public road as long as they do not block your egress from your driveway. Sometimes the Council or equivalent put in parking restrictions but if there are none then parking on a public road is a free for all.
The point of my post is that they ARE blocking egress from my driveway:
Fairclough wrote: I know our mutual neighbour (who is an unpleasant and confrontational man anyway) has 'had words' with them about blocking his drive, so now their visitors often park in front of mine instead. I have had to ask them to move on numerous occasions...
Why do you think I was taking exception to their parking if they weren't blocking my drive?

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am

Hi Fairclough,

their visitors often park in front of mine instead. I have had to ask them to move on numerous occasions.

what’s your definition of “often” and “numerous”?

you mention that you “usually” get an apology and that they do move the obstruction - so does this mean they sometimes don’t apologise and/or sometimes refuse to move?

is it the same visitors repeat offending?

kind regards, Mac

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Your neighbours are not responsible for what their visitors do but you can ask that they and their visitors don't block your driveway.

Blocking you in occasionally and moving when you ask them will not be considered actionnable.

Nothing in your post suggests that a specific person is persistently and repeatedly blocking you in with 'intent' such that they are making you a hostage.

The problem with parking of visitors is that each visitor would have to be sued individually if they block you in repeatedly, for long periods and refuse to move the vehicle when requested...and suing different visitors would prove pointlessly costly and probably fruitless.

Fairclough

Post by Fairclough » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Hello Mac and Mr Sheen, thanks for replying
MacadamB53 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am
what’s your definition of “often” and “numerous”?
Every week for the last 5 months. Random days and times. They have usually gone by about 10:30pm.
MacadamB53 wrote:
you mention that you “usually” get an apology and that they do move the obstruction - so does this mean they sometimes don’t apologise and/or sometimes refuse to move?
Sorry, I should have been clearer. They always move. Sometimes I get an apology. Sometimes I get a black look and a grunt. I always have to wait for them to finish their conversation / cup of tea / game with their kids, and am consequently always delayed.
MacadamB53 wrote:
is it the same visitors repeat offending?
Same car. Sometimes it is neighbour's father driving, sometimes it is (I think) neighbour's sister.
Nothing in your post suggests that a specific person is persistently and repeatedly blocking you in with 'intent' such that they are making you a hostage.
They must be intentionally blocking my drive (they don't park there by accident). Whether their parking is malicious is the question. The only clue I have is that, often, there is plenty of space for them to park in front of the neighbours' drive, yet they chose to park in front of mine instead.

I was wondering whether anyone would recommend me asking the LA to paint "H" marks in front of my drive, and whether respecting such marks is legally enforceable anyway. I heard some time ago that it wasn't.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:04 pm

You can ask the council to consider parking restrictions and they may or may not consider your request. No idea what H mark is but doubt that part of a public road can be marked off for the personal use of one property owner unless there is a disabled person with special needs. Permit parking will probably incur a cost for overseeing and managing it; parking marked out for a disabled person can sometimes be agreed etc.

The inconvenience you report and describe here is unlikely to result in a successful legal claim against the person parking on the public road in front of your property. There is no suggestion of intent to prevent you leaving which is different from not parking there 'by accident' especially since they move the vehicle on request.

Try parking in front of their driveway and blocking them in if you want to escalate this into war...or park in front of your own driveway so that he can't ....or speak to the neighbour and explain that you often need to leave your driveway urgently due to.....Ill relative, medical appointments, childrens school requiring urgent attendance at short notice etc etc etc and that the visitor is causing problems

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi mr sheen,

No idea what H mark is but doubt that part of a public road can be marked off for the personal use of one property

you’d be surprised - here’s more info:

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/conten ... -driveways

kind regards, Mac

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 am

Unfortunately H lines are just conscience prickers and have no legal force. Think of them more as street graffiti that the council makes money from.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:32 am

mugwump wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 am
Unfortunately H lines are just conscience prickers and have no legal force. Think of them more as street graffiti that the council makes money from.
They serve as a reminder to the authorities that an errant parker who parks over one may be fined.

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 am

It would need to be somebody who does it consistently and initially the worst they will get is a mildly stern letter.

span

Post by span » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Put up a gate and lock them in. Or a collapsible bollard. Switch the inconvenience back onto them.